Rampage claims pride tried to fix fights

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Rampage claims pride tried to fix fights
hippysmacker
6/12/07 6:33:31PM
We all heard about the early Pride Takada mayches, but I have to admit this shocked me. While I hope the UFC keeps Pride open, as a seperate entity in Japan, thsi makes me glad it is under new ownership. Now if they would just start sendeng some UFC fighter's that need a new venture ( Tito, Babalu etc.) over to Pride things could get better.

Jackson: PRIDE Offered Bonus to Lose
Options: Email Article | Printer Friendly
Jackson: PRIDE Offered Bonus to LoseTuesday, June 12, 2007
by Sherdog.com Staff

Prior to making his PRIDE debut against Kazushi Sakuraba (Pictures) in July 2001, Quinton Jackson (Pictures) said PRIDE executives offered to pay him a $2000 bonus if he lost by knockout or submission and did not tap.

Speaking with MMA Today before his UFC light heavyweight championship winning performance, Jackson said he signed to fight for $10,000, but alleged that PRIDE executives, whom he said "screwed" him over, offered $12,000 if he was finished in the ring by the Japanese star.

"I'm never the type of fighter that would lose for money," Jackson said. "I don't do that. But they told me, 'If you win this fight, you get $10,000.' But they told me -- these are like the two people from PRIDE who got fired recently, I don't know if the president of PRIDE knew about it -- but they told me themselves: 'If you lose by knockout or submission and you don't tap, you get $12,000.'

"I said, 'But what if I knock him out?' and they said 'You get $10,000.' Then I understood what was going on. This was my first time fighting in the big show in Japan and I learned sometimes they wanted the other guy to win."

After slamming the smaller Sakuraba several times and nearly lifting out of the ring over the top rope, Jackson, who took the fight on short notice, finally succumbed to Sakuraba after getting caught in a choke.

"I knew it was going to be tough for me to win that fight, so I went out there and gave it my best anyways to get my $10,000," Jackson said.

DSE recently relinquished control of PRIDE when it sold the company to UFC owner Lorenzo Fertitta.
MisFiT
6/12/07 8:56:27PM
I heard about that through some friends, pretty lame.
the-james
6/12/07 11:53:19PM
Pride has been know to fix fights look at the sakuraba/ Mezger fight Mezger clearly won but they called a draw and wanted another round, os tha tthey could have the Garce/Sakuraba fight.
richieb19
6/12/07 11:54:45PM

Posted by the-james

Pride has been know to fix fights look at the sakuraba/ Mezger fight Mezger clearly won but they called a draw and wanted another round, os tha tthey could have the Garce/Sakuraba fight.

Yea their was a special contract which was breeched in that fight, thats why Shamrock got so mad and forced Mezger to forfeit... it should really be a NC...
ac_gi
6/13/07 4:35:35AM
One of the things that worries me about MMA is that it is so easy to fix a fight. I have thought about this even before Rampage made his revelation. It's real easy to get caught in a sub, or punched on the jaw if you make a half-hearted attempt at defense. Oh well, I guess every sport has had to deal with this.
Stickan
6/13/07 7:25:53AM
I'm glad Rampage didn't use this as an excuse for the loss to Saku and gave his best anyway.
rcg916
6/13/07 2:33:08PM
I could be wrong, but the bonus was offered to a fighter that lost by KO or without submitting. That, to me, sounds like they were trying to liven up the fights, convincing the guys to let it all hang out, and if theyre caught in the sub, fight, dont tap.

It could be seen as incentive to lose, but I really think this was just their way of trying to have a bunch of dramatic endings. I have read and reread it, and it more and more sounds like Rampage was misunderstood, or he misunderstood the proposal himself. IMO, it wasnt an offer to take a dive, but an offer to push yourself to the limits, and get rewarded (although a small amount)... Just my opinion, but it definitely isnt clear cut.
Mastodon2
6/13/07 3:08:08PM
Well, latest news from Mauro Ranallo is that it was being given to heighten drama in the fights, which I can understand, even if it is slightly underhand tactic.

If Mauro says that it wasnt match fixing, but merely to make the fighters be more daring then I believe him, I wouldnt doubt his integrity for a second.
johny_rotten
6/13/07 3:58:18PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Well, latest news from Mauro Ranallo is that it was being given to heighten drama in the fights, which I can understand, even if it is slightly underhand tactic.

If Mauro says that it wasnt match fixing, but merely to make the fighters be more daring then I believe him, I wouldnt doubt his integrity for a second.

I have always suspected this with Sak's fights, and I have mentioned it on more than one occasion. The maffia ties were already exposed. If you look at all of Sak's fights they are all very fishy. Starting with Vitor and Newton. I know Vitor broke his hand, but he was way more passive in this fight then any time he has competed. Newton apparently kept submission grappleing rules in an MMA bout. Renzo also didn't strike Sak dispite many very good oppurtunities. Kevin Randleman was more passive in his fight with Sak then any other fight.
Mastodon2
6/13/07 4:06:29PM
Randleman was passive?

Sorry but I gotta disagree here, Randleman was totally on fire in that fight, I didnt know who won that fight when I watched it recently, Randleman was on fire,I was sure he was gonna take it until Sakuraba came out of nowhere with that Arm bar!
johny_rotten
6/13/07 8:21:03PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Randleman was passive?

Sorry but I gotta disagree here, Randleman was totally on fire in that fight, I didnt know who won that fight when I watched it recently, Randleman was on fire,I was sure he was gonna take it until Sakuraba came out of nowhere with that Arm bar!

Dude you need to rewatch the fight. Both fighters apolagized for thier performance not only in that show, but Kevin apolagized for it his next two times he fought in Pride. Kevin would get a take down, and then he just laid there. Randleman is known for going 150mph at all times, and he fought this fight at 10mph.
Stickan
6/13/07 8:29:14PM

Posted by johny_rotten

Posted by Mastodon2

I have always suspected this with Sak's fights, and I have mentioned it on more than one occasion. The maffia ties were already exposed. If you look at all of Sak's fights they are all very fishy. Starting with Vitor and Newton. I know Vitor broke his hand, but he was way more passive in this fight then any time he has competed. Newton apparently kept submission grappleing rules in an MMA bout. Renzo also didn't strike Sak dispite many very good oppurtunities. Kevin Randleman was more passive in his fight with Sak then any other fight.

If I remember correctly, Vitor has already stated that he threw that fight for money.
szucconi
6/13/07 10:05:54PM

Posted by rcg916

I could be wrong, but the bonus was offered to a fighter that lost by KO or without submitting. That, to me, sounds like they were trying to liven up the fights, convincing the guys to let it all hang out, and if theyre caught in the sub, fight, dont tap.

It could be seen as incentive to lose, but I really think this was just their way of trying to have a bunch of dramatic endings. I have read and reread it, and it more and more sounds like Rampage was misunderstood, or he misunderstood the proposal himself. IMO, it wasnt an offer to take a dive, but an offer to push yourself to the limits, and get rewarded (although a small amount)... Just my opinion, but it definitely isnt clear cut.

I think you are wrong. I think it is clear cut that a fighter should never get a bonus for losing. If a guy doesn't care about winning then he would take a dive to up his paycheck. It takes away from the sport and puts all Pride matches into question. I like Pride, but this is not cool. I don't think this is an incentive to fight, I think its and incentive to get you arm broken or get choked out so they can put it on a highlight reel. This is 100% wrong. Proof that the former owners of Pride didn't care about its fighters or the sport. Pride was started by a pro wrestler, so a fight that is a complete work doesn't shock me, but to treat top level fights like this is unforgivable.