Should Rampage get the boot form the UFC?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Should Rampage get the boot form the UFC?
« Previous Page
Aaronno9
7/16/08 2:35:02PM
Top and Bottom of it is yes. Mabeys not permanently, but at least for a few months like what happened to Jesse. I love quinton, hes an awesome fighter and just an overall fun character. Im not sure on what the common sentence is for this type of crime in America, but i hope they hold up the same type of precedent they use in cases for anybody else. It really pisses me off when celebs get away with stuff becouse of who they are, and Quinton is no exception.
Jlloyd
7/16/08 3:00:00PM
nooo, i'd be gutted if he left

i don't think they would get rid of him, he'd obviously just join affliction, which does the UFC no favours at all
pv3Hpv3p
7/16/08 3:24:42PM
With Jesse it was a pretty easy decision...

But Rampage is a fan favorite already and makes money for the UFC...

Would they let him go just on principle? Hell no... And let EltiteXC or Affliction get their hands on another top 5 fighter? Not a chance...

Will he be suspended? Sure, probably just about as long as he would have taken off before his next fight... And as soon as he comes back and KO"s some poor guy, this'll all be forgotten and he'll be a fan favorite again... It's just how things work
Pookie
7/16/08 3:43:54PM

Posted by treyhodge

I'm guessing he will not get the boot.

Remeber, Jesse Taylor got the boot from being in the TUF finale, but he's still fighting in the UFC.

Rampage will almost certainly get jail time, then after the jail time I bet Dana lets him fight.

Dana posted his bail, but that means he only paid 10% of the $25,000. So Dana paid $2,500 not $25,000 like people think. I will say for what Rampage did $25,000 is very small and that is usually a good sign. ($1,000,000 bail = big jail time, $250 bail = slap on the wrist, $25,000 is closer to a slap on the wrist then big jail time).

Dana may have payed the 25,000 just to get his money back... he has enough of it.
KINGCouture
7/16/08 4:53:02PM
This is so bad, especially since Dana booted Taylor off the show for not respecting and making a mockery of the sport, now he is bailing our Rampage for this? Bad move, terrible for UFC press. Should he be booted? Dunno, NFL and NBA have rapists and other felons playing. Rampage sells, and no doubt will sell more now.
gsquat
7/16/08 5:49:18PM
Suspesion, yes. Permaban, no.
mrsmiley
7/16/08 5:51:21PM
It might make him more popular.I doubt they let him go though,because like mentioned above Affliction or another promotion would just pick him up.
Aether
7/16/08 8:32:22PM
you can't compare this to the Jesse Taylor incident. Jesse didn't get punished just because he happened to be in the UFC, he got punished because he DIRECTLY involved the UFC in his tirade. He used the UFC brand name and his position with them to threaten and intimidate people. He started physical confrontations with civilians. If Rampage had gotten out of his car and started trying to fight people, or started screaming "Do you know who I am? I'm a UFC fighter!!" Then absolutely, yes the UFC needs to get involved and boot him, but that isn't the case.

You don't just fire someone because they have some sort of legal trouble. As long as his actions didn't directly involve his work or his employer they should be leaving this to the courts. It's like saying should Kobe Bryant be banned from basketball if he were to be found guilty of that rape. What does it have to do with basketball? As long as he's not in jail it shouldn't have anything to do with it. If he physically assaults someone during a game then again, it's different, he's involving his work in the issue and they need to punish him for it.

The way I see it this has absolutely nothing to do with the UFC or whether he's famous or makes more money. Obviously he has some problems, he broke the law, and he needs to be punished accordingly. That's what we have police officers and courthouses for. Until he directly involves his work in his problems his work should not be involving itself in them.

People like babalu, marlon simms, jesse taylor etc. get booted because what they did directly implicated their work. People like leben, garcia, and rampage in this instance get punished by the police and not the UFC because what they did is unrelated to their work.
Aether
7/16/08 8:38:59PM

Posted by KINGCouture

This is so bad, especially since Dana booted Taylor off the show for not respecting and making a mockery of the sport, now he is bailing our Rampage for this? Bad move, terrible for UFC press. Should he be booted? Dunno, NFL and NBA have rapists and other felons playing. Rampage sells, and no doubt will sell more now.

Yeah, because crashing your car and evading arrest has absolutely nothing to do with the sport. Starting fights and harassing people while screaming that you're a UFC fighter has a little something to do with being a fighter though.

It isn't about the fact that they are fighters. Dana isn't going to run around punishing everyone in the organization who breaks the law. I'm pretty sure no one is expected to be perfect. His concern is whether they choose to involve their work in their mistakes or not, Rampage made a mistake, but he made that mistake as quinton jackson the person, not as rampage the ufc fighter. Jesse Taylor did the exact opposite, he chose to make that mistake in a fashion that directly implicated his work.
Pitbull09
7/16/08 8:57:41PM
They wouldnt get rid of him. He is a top five heavyweight, he may need some jail time but I'm sure the UFC will not allow him to get back to the title quickly now.

Edit- Also, I didnt hear all the details but if Rampage was in an accident and ran you have to understand the guy. He didnt have a clear head and fleed the scene. No one is perfect and something like this is forgiveable if you ask me
Rush
7/16/08 10:39:47PM

Posted by Pookie

Dana may have payed the 25,000 just to get his money back... he has enough of it.

If that's the case Rampage is now in his pcket, er, I mean debt.

Personally I don't care if I see Rampage in the UFC again. I am indifferent towards him as a fighter and personality.

Sam_Rothstein
7/16/08 11:39:40PM
People will say "oh he wont do a day in jail". You do not know that. A huge black guy who looks like he could beat you to death with ease? Goes on an unexplained road rage after losing his championship belt.

Commits a felony by eluding the police, in a huge truck with his picture on it and with cameras recording and pictures being taken

I mean the legal system is a pretty big joke IMO, so I would not be surprised to see him get off free. I could also see him being made an example of too. Look at wesley snipes, michael vick, lil kim etc
fonduktoe
7/17/08 2:51:06AM
as long as rampage dosen't have to do a long prison stretch than he should be able to fight
he made a mistake
he's not a career criminal so let's not take away his career
war rampage
Aaronno9
7/17/08 11:31:07AM

Posted by Aether

Posted by KINGCouture

Yeah, because crashing your car and evading arrest has absolutely nothing to do with the sport. Starting fights and harassing people while screaming that you're a UFC fighter has a little something to do with being a fighter though.

It isn't about the fact that they are fighters. Dana isn't going to run around punishing everyone in the organization who breaks the law. I'm pretty sure no one is expected to be perfect. His concern is whether they choose to involve their work in their mistakes or not, Rampage made a mistake, but he made that mistake as quinton jackson the person, not as rampage the ufc fighter. Jesse Taylor did the exact opposite, he chose to make that mistake in a fashion that directly implicated his work.

Well the fact theirs a big ass picture of quinton on the side of the car wearing ufc gloves, as well as the fact one of the ufcs biggest sponsors has their logo on the car pretty much does imply that hes a ufc fighter. I mean, theirs even reports just coming out that rampage hurt a women and mabey her unborn child aswell (id like to see proof she or her baby was hurt before i believe it). Imagine if Jesse had of knocked over a table or something it hit a pregnant women or something. People would be crying for his head.
Diamondback2
7/17/08 12:03:58PM
I don't think he should be suspended. The legal troubles (even though he probably won't get any jail time) is punishment enough. Trust me, probation blows hard.

Plus he will end up paying back all the damges.

I think that if anything it should just invalidate a chance at a immediate re-match with Forrest. That would make sense.

Don't forget the UFC is a buisness and Rampage right now = $$$.

And there is a couple major diffrences between Jesse and Rampage,

1: As pointed out, Jesse used the UFC name to threaten random people. And he was not in the UFC yet.

2. Jesse did not get charged with anything, if he had not been punished he would have got out of his tirade scott-free. Rampage is in some trouble no matter how you look at it.

Aaronno9
7/17/08 12:11:25PM
Does anybody know if Rampage has any priors?
Diamondback2
7/17/08 12:31:06PM
that's what i was wondering too. if he dosen't there is next to no chance he will pull any jail time.

f he does, it could be a very large problem though...
casey64
7/17/08 12:38:36PM
I dont think he will get booted from the ufc, he wont fight for a while though.
treyhodge
7/18/08 11:26:31AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by treyhodge

Rampage will almost certainly get jail time, then after the jail time I bet Dana lets him fight.

I guarantee he doesn't step foot in a jail.

Suspended sentence + probation + community service + fine...no actual jail time whatsoever.

Felony Hit and Run and evading police=Jail Time. I think he will serve a very very very minimal sentence in jail, 2 months at the least, 8 at the most.
emfleek
7/18/08 11:30:00AM

Posted by treyhodge

Posted by emfleek

Posted by treyhodge

I guarantee he doesn't step foot in a jail.

Suspended sentence + probation + community service + fine...no actual jail time whatsoever.

Felony Hit and Run and evading police=Jail Time. I think he will serve a very very very minimal sentence in jail, 2 months at the least, 8 at the most.

Money talks, brother. Care to make an avatar bet?
DangerousDjohn
7/18/08 12:42:28PM
Rampage wont go to jail, and he will still be in the UFC. Im not saying thats what should happen, but thats what will happen. There is something wrong with him right now, and he is in the hospital. He wouldnt do this in his normal mind, and he wasnt under the influence of anything. What should happen is Dana should give him some time off to get his life straight and then when he is ready, mentally and physically, then and only then can he come back..
NatedawgThaM
7/18/08 4:08:28PM
If he serves some jail time, then I think you have to at the very least suspend him for a few months. But I don't think you should kick him out, he's too big of a draw, too good of a fighter.

I love Rampage, he's my favorite fighter but every fighter should be treated equally when it comes to breaking the law. So I say give him a 6 month suspension. Then he can come back and win his title back.
Pages: 1 [2]