Should Rampage get the boot form the UFC?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Should Rampage get the boot form the UFC?
Next Page »
warglory
7/15/08 7:47:51PM
As I'm sure everyone knows from the news section, Rampage went on a "rampage" with a jacked up pick up causing chaos every which way until the cops finally got him to give up. My question is, should the UFC kick Rampage out?

I love Rampage and his personality, but Rampage needs to leave...now, no excuses. If the UFC doesn't act now, they are going to be no better than boxing.
MFOTHER
7/15/08 7:52:43PM
1. we need all the details
2. he may have jail time and it might not be the UFC's option
3. we need to compare his actual charge with what has happened to other professional athletes

my gut feeling is, he is in bad shape. If people gave dana flack for the jess taylor incident, i doubt he will go light on a serious charge. (Obviously dana cares alot more about rampage than taylor...im just saying)
warglory
7/15/08 7:54:42PM

Posted by MFOTHER

1. we need all the details
2. he may have jail time and it might not be the UFC's option
3. we need to compare his actual charge with what has happened to other professional athletes

my gut feeling is, he is in bad shape. If people gave dana flack for the jess taylor incident, i doubt he will go light on a serious charge. (Obviously dana cares alot more about rampage than taylor...im just saying)

I agree, but assuming its a worst case scenario, I don't think it would be right for Rampage to stick around.
Pookie
7/15/08 8:00:41PM
We dont know the whole story yet. So as of right now, No.

To boot him from the ufc, we need ALL of the details, a conviction to have occurred, and for it to still have looked as bad as it seems to be now.

Should the WEC have given Leonard Garcia the boot when he went to court for drug trafficking?
warglory
7/15/08 8:04:05PM

Posted by Pookie

To boot him from the ufc, we need ALL of the details, a conviction to have occurred, and for it to still have looked as bad as it seems to be now.

Should the WEC have given Leonard Garcia the boot when he went to court for drug trafficking?

No, but Leonard Garcia wasn't caught by TMZ with drugs in his hands walking out of a crackhouse, while Rampage was caught with a busted up truck getting approached by cops with guns in hand. Could there be more to the story? Absolutely, but it doesn't look good.

Let me ask you this, IF Rampage is guilty through and through, do you then think he should be booted?
bigbubbano23
7/15/08 8:06:41PM
when did this happen?
Purge
7/15/08 8:07:46PM
Unless he pulls a Nick Hogan, NO, they shoudl keep him. Who know's how long Chuck's still fighting, the UFC needs posterboys.
Pookie
7/15/08 8:10:26PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by Pookie

No, but Leonard Garcia wasn't caught by TMZ with drugs in his hands walking out of a crackhouse, while Rampage was caught with a busted up truck getting approached by cops with guns in hand. Could there be more to the story? Absolutely, but it doesn't look good.

Let me ask you this, IF Rampage is guilty through and through, do you then think he should be booted?

Depends what charges hes guilty of, and the severity of such crimes.
When the verdict is read and its something that warrants Prison time then hes going to prison anyway, so it doesnt matter if he gets the boot.

but if its a situation where he doesnt land any time in prison, how bad could it have been?

The thing about TMZ is that they are a notoriously shady media outlet source to begin with. So the pictures and the article have that obvious bias slant that makes it more outrageous & gossip worthy.

Cops will always approach someone who ran away from them with their guns drawn and then lay you on the ground like that. Always, so thats not really an indicator of anything other than the obvious that he ran from the cops.
postman
7/15/08 8:16:57PM
If he dosn't go to jail and you let him go its only going to make Affliction stronger. All they need to do is suspend him have him do a few good things with the kids to get some good PR, give him a bunch of easy fights to build his rep back up and everyone will let thing go. No one was hurt as far as I know, hes not going anywhere.
owen1
7/15/08 8:19:49PM
NO!!!
We don't even know what happened yet.
He made a mistake, we all make mistakes.Should that cancel out all the hard work hes done!! NO
juanez13
7/15/08 8:37:00PM
No, i dont think he will.

he'll probably wont be around for a while, but i dont think he'll get kicked out.

the question though is should he? I'm with the rest in saying lets wait for all the details. What i think will happen is Page will give a public apology in a UFC press conference, and he'll be forgiven, but not without punishment, which probably means he wont be a fighting a 5 round fight for a while.
anyways thats just my 0.2 cents
TWITA
7/15/08 9:22:04PM

Posted by owen1

NO!!!
We don't even know what happened yet.
He made a mistake, we all make mistakes.Should that cancel out all the hard work hes done!! NO

Seriously - stop judging him before we even know what the hell happened. Rumors = BS. NOTHING should happen until the facts are out there.
JimiMak
7/15/08 9:26:54PM
Too many variable for anyone to know right now.

Even if he's guilty on some charges (you're going furthur than anything I've seen) I think there is very little he can do that should cost him his contract. Many athletes get away w/ more. It doesn't sound that bad. TMZ is not a source, I'm talking according to other sources as I won't click on them as a source.
JimiMak
7/15/08 9:28:18PM
Just to clarify my position, I don't believe there is much he could do that should cost him his contract. He's not a bank robber or a murderer.
juanez13
7/15/08 9:34:47PM

Posted by JimiMak

Too many variable for anyone to know right now.

Even if he's guilty on some charges (you're going furthur than anything I've seen) I think there is very little he can do that should cost him his contract. Many athletes get away w/ more. It doesn't sound that bad. TMZ is not a source, I'm talking according to other sources as I won't click on them as a source.

TMZ may not be a good source, but they've got the pictures. Which look pretty bad, rampage on the floor with cops pointing their guns at him

but yea he wont get booted, in the Yahoo story it says Dana flew there to post his bail, apparently is 25k
warglory
7/15/08 9:45:15PM
Have you guys seen the pictures of Rampage's truck? It looks like the vehicles in the World's Scariest Police Chases. The man ran into vehicles, drove away and continued to evade police. What possible excuse can a man of his stature and reputation have for evading the police in such a violent manner? Unless the evidence supports him as being less than crazy as the pictures and the stories may have it, Rampage needs to be made an example of. I don't care how good he is, or how much he can bring to the UFC. We can't have MMA turning into other sports whom turn a blind eye to delinquent sportsmen.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
7/15/08 10:01:02PM
I knew rampage wasnt the smartest guy, but dyAM! If the story is true(i really hope its bs) , rampage should be booted. If jesse taylor crossed the line , rampage for sure needs to go. Man this is shitty ******* news. just as rampage/wandy 3 was becoming a reality......... ****!!!!!!!!!!
Franklinfan47
7/15/08 10:54:44PM
Ya if this is legit he needs to get the boot. Atleast for a little while. This is unacceptable. From losing the title to losing his marbles. Why Rampage . Why do this. How the mighty have fallen.
Naturaldisaster
7/15/08 10:56:15PM
I dont want to see rampage get booted. Maybe he was depressed and got drunk or somethin and this all happened (no clue if thats what happened) but If this does have anything to do with him being down because he lost his championship, what do you think he would do if he Lost his Job!? things could get way worse. IDK whats up with this, because I really dont think rampage is a bad guy, I doubt he would purposely hit someone then run from the cops. somethin was goin on here. and Im not gonna say he should be fired.
juanez13
7/15/08 11:37:08PM
I think he got caught up on the high while he was the champ, everyone praising him etc...and now that he lost he got down on himself, and those people telling him he should have won arent really helping him to deal with that loss. than he probably just exploded with rage.

but thats just my $0.2 cents, for all we know Page wanted to try out his new tires and see how much they'd last before one of em' exploded.
RNC
7/16/08 12:00:15AM
I don't think the UFC should let Rampage go, nor will they. Chris Leben did 30 days in jail and hes fighting in the main event in october. Rampage is a way bigger star than Leben, and also is much more talented. The UFC is about MMA and thats what Rampage is. So what he ****** up outside of the octagon. Give him some time off, make sure he's learned his lesson, then get him back in the cage. The NBA didn't kick Kobe out when he harrased that chick and I don't think the UFC should kick Rampage out either.

Overall, 25k isn't much for bail, and I don't beleive the outcome of this situation will be that severe. More so, if Dana didn't have any intentions to keep him in the UFC, he wouldn't have gotten involved and bailed him out. Like I couldn't see him posting bail if Rampage robbed a bank. Rampage will be back in the UFC. Maybe not soon, but eventually.
lebrontheking23
7/16/08 12:13:21AM
Rampage is one of my fav fighters it would be sad for him to pretty much throw away his UFC career like that... but then Dana probaly thinks that he needs him because he is so popular and is a poster boy for UFC right now and also Dana dosn't want Affliction to make more money then him
bigbubbano23
7/16/08 1:11:53AM
i guess he won't be keeping his promise of not fighting for nine months.
CanadianCripplr
7/16/08 4:40:04AM
You guys want him to get tossed cause of a few driving infractions? Jeez, tough crowd. This has become a zero tolerance sport? No mistakes allowed?
Weve all felt like road ragin at some point in time, he just did it. Not okaying driving under the influence by any means, but even if that was the case he shouldnt be booted from the company.
Maybe they could use it as a marketing tool, "Rampage is Outa control, who will his next victim be..." now known as the loose cannon.....
ufcboss
7/16/08 4:44:15AM
IMO Rampage could crashed and killed someone, Then had a shootout with the cops, Then ran away again and then get caught. The UFC still wouldnt cut him. No way, Not with Dream, Affliction around now. too much $$$$ to be lost!
warglory
7/16/08 10:15:49AM

Posted by CanadianCripplr

You guys want him to get tossed cause of a few driving infractions? Jeez, tough crowd. This has become a zero tolerance sport? No mistakes allowed?
Weve all felt like road ragin at some point in time, he just did it. Not okaying driving under the influence by any means, but even if that was the case he shouldnt be booted from the company.
Maybe they could use it as a marketing tool, "Rampage is Outa control, who will his next victim be..." now known as the loose cannon.....

Speeding or parking in a no park zone are "driving infractions", commiting a hit and run, evading police, driving into oncoming traffic where people could have been injured. Yeah, I'd say these qualify as a bit more serious than driving infractions.
Rush
7/16/08 11:10:06AM

Posted by Purge

Unless he pulls a Nick Hogan, NO, they shoudl keep him. Who know's how long Chuck's still fighting, the UFC needs posterboys.

Do you want a posterboy for a sport, on the whim of being accepted as mainstream, that is associated with criminal activity?

I'm not saying he is a criminal (in fact I didn't know about this until now, but assuming he was, that's not the type of person I would want to be one of the faces of MMA.
treyhodge
7/16/08 11:27:08AM
I'm guessing he will not get the boot.

Remeber, Jesse Taylor got the boot from being in the TUF finale, but he's still fighting in the UFC.

Rampage will almost certainly get jail time, then after the jail time I bet Dana lets him fight.

Dana posted his bail, but that means he only paid 10% of the $25,000. So Dana paid $2,500 not $25,000 like people think. I will say for what Rampage did $25,000 is very small and that is usually a good sign. ($1,000,000 bail = big jail time, $250 bail = slap on the wrist, $25,000 is closer to a slap on the wrist then big jail time).
emfleek
7/16/08 11:34:11AM

Posted by treyhodge

Rampage will almost certainly get jail time, then after the jail time I bet Dana lets him fight.

I guarantee he doesn't step foot in a jail.

Suspended sentence + probation + community service + fine...no actual jail time whatsoever.
chris91301
7/16/08 2:29:55PM
Here is article btw

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/mma/blog/2008/07/quinton_rampage_jackson_arrest.html

I dont think he should be banned. Possibly humiliated. It is pretty dumb to try to get away from cops and hit and run while driving a huge truck with your picture on it.
Pages: [1] 2