Rampage: I've got to make a decision, MMA or movies

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Rampage: I've got to make a decision, MMA or movies
emfleek
6/2/10 9:41:24AM
"I’m really ashamed of myself that I fell victim to ring rust. Emotions had nothing to do with it.”

“I focused really hard and I trained really hard on this fight, but me having this damn movie and everything -- I kind of almost regret doing the damn movie now. There was so much pressure. (20th Century) Fox kind of threatened to sue me if I lost and everything because they didn’t know I was fighting.”

LINK
mattjonesy
6/2/10 11:51:43AM
Hope he makes the right choice! Hes not an actor hes a fighter, always has been.
bjj1605
6/2/10 2:38:28PM
I've said this before and I'm not fighter bashing, the problem with rampage has always been mental. He's got all the physical tools, but whenever he loses he seems to spiral into depression. He lost the fight, all he can do is get back in the gym and start training. No use beating your self up over it.
1daveufc
6/2/10 2:47:22PM
Plenty of time after MMA for acting so stop been a FOOL and start traning to woop some ass!
BlueSkiesBurn
6/2/10 3:22:55PM
Perhaps someone can explain the "Fox threatened to sue me if I lost comment." Does he mean Fox was gonna sue him if he lost to Rashad?
MaxOne
6/2/10 3:26:00PM
I say do both. . If a fighter has the chance to make movies especially something like the A-team (compared to redbelt )then i think he should do it.

It'll be complicated but i think they should work their fights/training around their filming & appearances. waiting on movies could mean missing out on opportunities..waiting on fighting could mean the same.

do both and put some money in the bank. If he can't juggle both stress wise then he should pick the one will be the best for his family...not which will make him more money but which will make him enough & give him the freedom to be involved in the lives of his children while supporting them.

I wish i had this dilemma
cowcatcher
6/2/10 3:51:02PM
im hoping he just waits until oscar season rolls around before he has to choose.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/2/10 3:57:46PM
I still want to know about that Fox comment. I don't know what that means. It seemed out of context in the article plus it was followed with "but they didn't know I was fighting" What does this even mean?
MattHughesRules
6/2/10 4:33:47PM
I think Rampage knows his immediate future is as a fighter. There will be time for other opportunities when his fighting days are behind him. The real question should be is he still a winning fighter? Sounds like he might be getting Machida next and I think that is a terrible matchup for him. I do not see him winning that fight.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/2/10 4:39:23PM
A Rampage that's been training the whole time and hasn't had ring rust can end a fight against Machida with 1 punch. I am the biggest Machida nuthugger on this site but the Brazilians Rampage has lost to are Chute Boxe fighters not Machida Karate fighters. I think Rampage has a chance in this fight. Of course, I'll be picking my boy, however.
Chael_Sonnen
6/2/10 4:58:14PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

A Rampage that's been training the whole time and hasn't had ring rust can end a fight against Machida with 1 punch. I am the biggest Machida nuthugger on this site but the Brazilians Rampage has lost to are Chute Boxe fighters not Machida Karate fighters. I think Rampage has a chance in this fight. Of course, I'll be picking my boy, however.

I don't think he'll get close enough to land that one punch...plus...the quickness factor is going to be huge for Machida.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/2/10 5:03:16PM
Never say never, my friend. Rashad landed some in his exchanges with Machida.
snakeplissken
6/2/10 5:19:48PM
Rampage will say this until the Box Office reciepts come in and he lands a bucket load of cash for the sequel....

However he really should have won that fight. I think the opening round took him by surprise and off his gameplan. 3 times out of 5 he would have won that fight I reckon.
LotusLoo
6/2/10 5:43:13PM
Rampage says "ring rust," but I'm hearing "so my excuse is..."

BlueSkiesBurn
6/2/10 5:51:50PM
I think Ring Rust is real but it's not an excuse, if that makes sense. You took the fight, you knew the stakes, and you agreed to the terms. Ring Rust is a very real thing, Shogun is an example of this. He looked amazing against Machida, not so much against Forrest. About the only person who doesn't seem to suffer from ring rust is Randy Couture. He seems to look better after extended layoffs. That doesn't mean it's an excuse, it's just a fact. It's the same in all sports, an extended layoff from your profession means that other people have been diligently working to get better while you've been; filming a movie, injured, suspended, etc...
LotusLoo
6/2/10 6:07:55PM
Totally agree, ring rust is real. All I'm saying is that Rampage always seems to have some form of an excuse after his losses...

Oh and the way I'm reading that article, it sounds like Fox was threatening to sue if the loss resulted in Rampage skipping out or just failing in the promotion of the film.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/2/10 6:56:34PM
Ah, thank you. That makes sense. He's on Raw next Monday what more do they want from Rampage.
Bloodhound
6/2/10 8:18:55PM
I think from recent comments Rampage has made that he will go back to being a full time MMA fighter, only way I see Rampage doing another movie before he retires is if they do an A-Team sequel and offer him even more more money then he made the first time around. But I think for now he is done with hollywood
icantthinkofanything
6/2/10 8:40:48PM
being a wwe wrestler is also a choice!
BlueSkiesBurn
6/2/10 8:44:07PM
He'll be on Raw on Monday. Maybe he can start a feud with Edge or Cena.
TheGodfather1024
6/2/10 9:20:33PM
Page needs to realize he IS a fighter not an actor
wrona666
6/2/10 9:24:18PM

Posted by LotusLoo

Rampage says "ring rust," but I'm hearing "so my excuse is..."

No doubt about that..........I didn't see much ring rust from the "Stun Gun".........
All i ever hear from Rampage is excuses.....If they had a rubber match the outcome would be the same.........
BlueSkiesBurn
6/2/10 9:32:46PM
In order to have a rubber match you'd need to have a second fight first.
EliasG
6/3/10 10:09:36AM
He's dissapointed he lost. I get that. He needs to not burn those bridges though. He's already in his 30's and fighters have short shelf lives. Fans cheer you one minute and love you and hate you the next. Fame is fickle and even more fickle in the UFC where your boss will heap praise on you one second when you are making money and scorn on you the next if he thinks it will cost him something. There is no loyalty in the fight game for fighters---the promoters don't care about them, the fans will drop a fighter after one bad loss, and eventually every fighter's body will betray them and they will become less and less competitive. Find alternate sources of income and livlihood. If Page can act and make money--more power to him. THe same people who complain that he "ought to only fight" are the same people who will wouldn't give a nickle to him if he was homeless on the street. They don't care about him, he has to care about himself.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/3/10 3:06:09PM
So very true, Elias. I don't know what his take was for doing The A-Team but I'm willing to bet it was substantially more than his last fight. I'm thinking Vince McMahon is probably paying them a decent penny to host Raw on Monday as well.
emfleek
6/3/10 3:58:09PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

So very true, Elias. I don't know what his take was for doing The A-Team but I'm willing to bet it was substantially more than his last fight. I'm thinking Vince McMahon is probably paying them a decent penny to host Raw on Monday as well.

I don't know the details obviously, but I'd say it's probably the other way around. Why would Vince pay someone else to come in and promote their movie?

I could be wrong but it doesn't really make much sense if Vince *is* paying them. Rampage *has* to do what he's asked to do in order to promote the movie. He has contractual obligations so I'm sure he's already being paid...he's just owning up to his end of the deal.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/3/10 4:15:37PM
Well, they've been doing this guest host thing for quite some time and not all of them have been promoting something, though, the vast majority of them have. If I had to venture a guess, and I could be wrong, I would still think Vince is comping them to be on Raw because he knows he can get more viewers if Rampage is gonna be on there. It might be a small number but all those numbers add up when it comes to the small numbers he's gained from all the other celebrities that have hosted the show.

Call me silly but I can't have seen the publicity team for this movie sitting around going "you know, we should really promote on WWE Raw." To my knowledge they don't book these hosts that far in advance. Vince is also not hurting for money so I am sure that these actors are getting paid to sit there and "act" for one night on Raw. I could throw down a list of the the hosts and I'm sure that you would agree that most of these stars wouldn't do it just to promote their upcoming movie/fight/album/book. There had to have been compensation in it for them. The Steelers hosted, Mike Tyson hosted, Floyd Mayweather hosted....what did any of these people have to promote? Mayweather, maybe, but anyone that was gonna buy his fight was already gonna buy it regardless of whether or not he hosted Raw. McMahon had to pay Mayweather out the ass to appear at Wrestlemania, I doubt much changed when he asked him to host.