Rampage can't bring Reebok sponsorship into UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Rampage can't bring Reebok sponsorship into UFC
SmileR
1/15/13 5:02:01PM
"My reasons for wanting to leave the UFC are still the same. Matchmaking is just one of the reasons. It's nothing about money. I've done this interview several times before and don't want to go into it. I have a new reason. I'm sponsored by Reebok and UFC says I can't wear Reebok in the cage. Stupid stuff like that. It's not about money, it's about respect. I'd rather take a money cut to go to another show and get appreciated. I'm sponsored by Reebok, just not allowed to wear it in the cage. I can't wear Reebok while I fight. I think in my opinion, the fighters do a lot for the sport and we're not taken care of well enough. I feel like they're getting rich off of all of us. We're having surgeries and injuries and some of these guys can't afford to pay sparring partners and stuff like that. I don't want to be a part of the sport like that. I want to go where they treat their fighters like human beings."

Link
FastKnockout
1/15/13 5:07:36PM
You have to give respect to receivenit. All Rampage has done over the years is complain. Don't get me wrong. I love the guy. But geez man give it rest.
LightsOUT23
1/15/13 5:31:38PM
More to the point, feelings towards Rampage aside, I think it is a little bit harsh that he is not allowed to wear his sponsors into the cage. After all, most fighters these days need sponsorship. As the UFC is so well established as a brand itself, it shouldn't be too worried about what sponsorship endorsements are made with the fighters. I think the UFC are demoralizing the fighters by making this topic an issue. Reebok are a world wide brand. The UFC promote Burger king for Christ sake, I'd rather be spreading global sporting enterprises through this company and to its audience than a fast food chain.
I'm sure the Nike deal with Anderson Silva and Bones Jones has something to do with it, but it seems silly that a sponsor is an issue as long as the event sells out and the ppv buys sore it shouldn't matter what sponsors are involved with the fighters as long as its in theme with the sport.
tcunningham
1/15/13 6:12:56PM
it is a little stupid not letting him wear reebok, but page has been a complainer for too long. if he leaves the ufc it should be into retirement not bellator because reality is bellator is the only high level organization left.
Poor_Franklin
1/15/13 7:26:19PM
i think Rampage is pulling the classic "I'm breaking up w/ you before you can break up w/ me" routine.

if he cant wear Reebok bc it's in his contract, then he probably already knew that when he signed the Reebok contract.
SmileR
1/15/13 8:01:27PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

i think Rampage is pulling the classic "I'm breaking up w/ you before you can break up w/ me" routine.

if he cant wear Reebok bc it's in his contract, then he probably already knew that when he signed the Reebok contract.

But I can't be the only one who has a problem with that? How can Zuffa tell fighters who they can and can't be sponsored by! Especially when it comes to mainstream lucrative contracts that could set them up for life!

I get the the UFC needs sponsors to function but how will it effect their business if they have say a Nike swoosh in the middle of the octagon and one of their fighters has shorts made by Reebok?

Dana once made a huge deal about contracts granting matching periods because fighters have a short amount of time to get as much money as they can. How is limiting mainstream sponsorship good for them?
How is it good business for the UFC as a brand?

This move, if true, is an absolute joke and I don't get how anyone can defend it.
Poor_Franklin
1/15/13 8:21:42PM
i dont agree w/ the way the ufc blocks sponsors. i was just saying that this is an issue rampage knew when he signed his reebok deal & is only complaining about it so he can have a good reason to leave when his contract has run out & the ufc offers him much less than he wants.
FlashyG
1/15/13 8:35:27PM

Posted by SmileR

Posted by Poor_Franklin

But I can't be the only one who has a problem with that? How can Zuffa tell fighters who they can and can't be sponsored by! Especially when it comes to mainstream lucrative contracts that could set them up for life!

I get the the UFC needs sponsors to function but how will it effect their business if they have say a Nike swoosh in the middle of the octagon and one of their fighters has shorts made by Reebok?

Dana once made a huge deal about contracts granting matching periods because fighters have a short amount of time to get as much money as they can. How is limiting mainstream sponsorship good for them?
How is it good business for the UFC as a brand?

This move, if true, is an absolute joke and I don't get how anyone can defend it.

Rampage is free to be sponsored by whoever he is able to get to sponsor him but that doesn't mean the UFC has to let him wear it in the cage.

Lots of NHL players are sponsored by Nike, but they play in Reebok Jerseys because Reebok is the official sponsor. Try to wear a helmet made by a company that isn't a sponsor of the NHL and you'll notice the logo is covered up by tape.

Lots of Professional Athletes are forbidden from drinking anything but certain brands of beer/soft drinks while on league property because of "official sponsorships"
Chael_Sonnen
1/15/13 8:48:46PM
Reebok sponsorship? I wasn't aware that they had an orange prison jump suit fashion line out
MMA-San
1/16/13 12:24:15AM
I agree. The sponsorship thing is ridiculous. Its hard for some fighters to get sponsored. Heck lower card guys who only make 8 grannf a fight in the UFC, they use to have to be sponsored by Mom and Pops shops...they could maybe rack in 2 grand a month and that would work for them.

Now to sponsor a fighter they have to pay 65 grand...that takes away all there money.

These fighters are putting their lives on the line for the UFC, let them make a living. Leave there sponsors alone!
grappler0000
1/16/13 9:05:22AM
It'll always be something.
scoozna
1/16/13 2:02:30PM
I mostly agree with SmileR..

If Rampage was in his prime it might be a different story, but since (I believe) Zuffa could really care less about him as a future UFC ticket draw, we have this situation. I just think they could work out some sort of deal to allow him to get paid and not upset other sponsors.
frizzzlecake
1/16/13 2:32:09PM
UFC would be happy to have Sponsor's like Reebok back in the Mickey's days. But since fighter's are now sponsored by NIKE, it's Nike or nothing. GSP is sponsored by Under Armor, but I don't see him wearing it inside the cage.

Anyone remember all the mid-card fighter's with CONDOM DEPOT on their trunks.
MALICE
1/16/13 7:20:49PM

Posted by frizzzlecake

UFC would be happy to have Sponsor's like Reebok back in the Mickey's days. But since fighter's are now sponsored by NIKE, it's Nike or nothing. GSP is sponsored by Under Armor, but I don't see him wearing it inside the cage.

Anyone remember all the mid-card fighter's with CONDOM DEPOT on their trunks.

I absolutely remember the "Mickey's" days. Picking up a six pack of grenades for every PPV. Thankfully, Bud Light stepped up and I no longer need to drink that musty urine water in a Mickey's bottle.

As for Rampage, give it a rest. You had a string of losses, are no longer a top 10 LHW, and have resorted to complaints and accusations to maintain what little marketability you still have available to you. Let it go.