Ramon Dekkers Muay Thai Highlight Vid

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Ramon Dekkers Muay Thai Highlight Vid
Bemin
1/6/08 5:54:59PM
Mastodon2
1/6/08 6:26:15PM
The guy is a legend. Controversial, and I think people are a little too willing to bring out the GOAT tag since he is white, but he was good!
Blizzard
1/6/08 7:48:30PM
Nice.
I agree he is one of the greats.
cmill21
1/6/08 8:12:35PM
He did things that I woulden't personally do, but they worked for him. He did everything full tilt. Great fighter.
hippysmacker
1/7/08 6:40:07AM
I admit I am not a k-1/muay thai expert. Most of the fights of this type I have seen have come from me researching guys who crossed over into MMA. Still, that guy sure looks like a badass. Since you guys all seem to be a lot more educated on it than I , how does he fare in comparison to Kit Cope?I would say Cope looks bigger, as he cuts to 155. This guy looks like he would walk around at that. Who do you all think is better. I will say this, Dekkers looked like he was fighting a lot of guys bigger than him in some of those fights.
madmarck
1/7/08 9:23:02AM

Posted by hippysmacker

I admit I am not a k-1/muay thai expert. Most of the fights of this type I have seen have come from me researching guys who crossed over into MMA. Still, that guy sure looks like a badass. Since you guys all seem to be a lot more educated on it than I , how does he fare in comparison to Kit Cope?I would say Cope looks bigger, as he cuts to 155. This guy looks like he would walk around at that. Who do you all think is better. I will say this, Dekkers looked like he was fighting a lot of guys bigger than him in some of those fights.

Dekkers is a pretty small guy. He did fight in MMA once but lost to Genki Sudo by Heel Hook.

He is pretty amazing though. He fought Duane Ludwig in K-1 with a injured arm, so he literally fought him single handed. Craziest part he knocked down Bang once each of the three rounds. Won by Decision.
Oh yeah he is retired now to. Although he has already come out of retirement twice i think.
hippysmacker
1/8/08 2:47:41AM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by hippysmacker

Dekkers is a pretty small guy. He did fight in MMA once but lost to Genki Sudo by Heel Hook.

He is pretty amazing though. He fought Duane Ludwig in K-1 with a injured arm, so he literally fought him single handed. Craziest part he knocked down Bang once each of the three rounds. Won by Decision.
Oh yeah he is retired now to. Although he has already come out of retirement twice i think.

I didn't even know he fought MMA ,as I had never heard of him till I watched the highlight. Still, he sure looked badass, must have been one of the toughest , even if he wasn't the best. Guess a Cope fight is out. Is Kit Cope considered a all time great in Muay Thai?
cmill21
1/8/08 3:30:28AM
I woulden't put kit near the top of the muay thai's, he hasn't had a ton of fights, I believe only 24, going 23-1, while guys like Buakaw(5 years younger) has over 200 fights. Dekker's was only about 5'7 so he's quite a bit shorter then Kit, although he weighed 160. He took the fight with Sudo on short notice(days) so he was a pretty amazing guy. If you want to get a feel for some great K-1 fighters look up guys like Rob Kaman, Buakaw, Samart Payakaroon, Somrak Kamsing, and Kaoklai Kaennorsing. Some you may not find video's of but there all pretty notable guys in the art of Muay Thai. I'm sure Mastadon will list a ton of others, I'm not as into Muay Thai as he is, you want kickboxers I will make you a list .
hippysmacker
1/8/08 4:18:48AM
Interesting. So Kit is not a legend? I always remember how violent it looked when he unleashed on Florian. Even though he lost , I was seriously impressed. If they fought in their primes, size difference and all, who do you think would have won? like I said I am no expert on this stuff, but I gotta say Muay Thai, becuase it uses all 8 points, just seems more effective to me in MMA. How standup styles transfer to MMA is my main interest, but Dekkers really impressed me. I read his wiki just now, and it seemed like something that should be made into a movie.