Quote of the Day: Joe Rogan Talks MMA Judging

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Quote of the Day: Joe Rogan Talks MMA Judging
emfleek
6/24/09 8:54:56AM
TM: You've seen a lot of good judging and a lot of bad judging over the years, and a lot of good refereeing and bad refereeing. What's your natural reaction when you see a judging or refereeing decision you disagree with? Is it pretty much what we get on the air, or do you try to temper it a little bit because you don't want to pile on?

Joe Rogan: The problem with the referees when we go to a place like Nashville is we have to use local referees and a lot of these guys just aren't prepared for the big show. They're not good enough, and they're nervous and some are real trigger happy. They want to step in and stop the action or tell the guys what to do. They make mistakes and don't know what to do...

CONTINUED...
bojangalz
6/24/09 9:48:51AM
I really don't care what Rogan has to say about judges... According to his commentary he had Guida winning the second round the other night.
MMA_Alex
6/24/09 12:18:55PM

Posted by bojangalz

I really don't care what Rogan has to say about judges... According to his commentary he had Guida winning the second round the other night.

So? I had Guida winning that round, as did most other people.

Really, you could give it to either man in that situation (Sanchez for damage, Guida for control). Rogan was probably giving the round to Guida because he knows that judges don't score heavily for striking from the bottom. Either way, it wasn't a blow-out, so the and refusing to listen to Rogan's opinion over that is a bit of a stretch...
sparky
6/24/09 1:20:24PM

Posted by MMA_Alex

Posted by bojangalz

So? I had Guida winning that round, as did most other people.

Really, you could give it to either man in that situation (Sanchez for damage, Guida for control). Rogan was probably giving the round to Guida because he knows that judges don't score heavily for striking from the bottom. Either way, it wasn't a blow-out, so the and refusing to listen to Rogan's opinion over that is a bit of a stretch...

Giuda lost every round in my opinion theres a difference between using wrestling as offense and using it to save yourself and thats all Guida was doing laying and praying. Diego won that fight hands down!!!!
emfleek
6/24/09 1:21:17PM

Posted by sparky

Diego won that fight hands down!!!!

Obviously not since there are so many differing opinions on the matter...
TommyD84
6/24/09 1:50:40PM
Like him or not, Joe's right. I had Guida winning that round as well. As far as the refs though, I've seen it even on the local level. Some guys just think they're gonna be the next Big John. There's refs like that in every sport.
cowcatcher
6/24/09 2:06:01PM
this is a little off base from the topic, but i think that diego did win the fight and the 2nd could have gone either way. because guida showed so much heart and kept moving forward it made people want guida to win the second round and the fight because he looked like the proverbial underdog from the very beginning of the fight and human nature is to cheer for that guy that keeps picking himself up and moving forward. the fights in the books, diego got a very deserved win, and guida showed why hes become almost a cult figure in mma circles. not to mention we all got to see one hell of a fight that very well could be fight of the year, so i for one am just happy i got to see it no matter who won what round or got their hand raised in the end.
sparky
6/24/09 4:34:45PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by sparky

Diego won that fight hands down!!!!

Obviously not since there are so many differing opinions on the matter...

I dont really understand how anyone can see Guida winning that fight I really dont. Like no disrespect but I dont understand what they were watching.
emfleek
6/24/09 4:46:26PM

Posted by sparky

I dont really understand how anyone can see Guida winning that fight I really dont. Like no disrespect but I dont understand what they were watching.

Other people had a different interpretation. Some people think Diego won because he inflicted more damage from the bottom. Others think Guida won because he controlled Diego's position throughout the entire round.

It's all about how you look at it and what weighs more on your decision to give the round to a fighter.