Quote of the day : Frank Mir "Within Half-An-Inch Of Catching Brock Lesnar"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Quote of the day : Frank Mir "Within Half-An-Inch Of Catching Brock Lesnar"
« Previous Page
emfleek
7/13/09 3:46:25PM

Posted by loller90278

ill go against the grain here and i believe when mir says hes a good striker. he didnt get to show it off in this fight but im sure we'll see it in his next.

here's a gif of the elbow/flying knee -- pretty impressive, im sure brock was rocked

The knee certainly looked impressive, but it was done more so out of desperation than anything and it just happened to connect. Meanwhile, he left himself open to get taken down and have the snot pounded out of him.
tdietel01
7/13/09 3:51:05PM

Posted by Menard_StC

Mir got destroyed, just like I knew he would.

However, did you idiots watch the fight? He landed a hard knee and came within about a centimeter of landing a pretty vicious looking hook. Brock was scared to stand with him and he was panicking.

I guess that answers the chin question, he CAN take a knee the the head.
I dont know if he was scared to stand with him, why would you stand with someone that you know you can absolutely own on the ground. I think its good planning not being scared!
scoozna
7/13/09 5:34:58PM
Props to loller...it is a good knee, I'm sure it hurt Lesnar. I guess it all comes down to "coulda, shoulda, woulda" kind of thinking and whether you buy it or not.

I guess I kinda buy it, that if, perhaps, maybe, on another day (see all my qualifiers?) the strike had caught Lesnar's forehead or jaw, then, yeah, he would have crumpled into a 285 pound pile. But he didn't, so I'm not sure whether that makes Mir an ass for saying it, or whether all the fighters who've been around, instinctively know that fights often are just a matter of who's big punch/kick/knee lands first.
cowcatcher
7/13/09 5:47:10PM
i think the fact that he ate those couple of big shots and his instincts kicked in allowing him to take it to the ground speak very well for where brock is as a fighter at this point. guys with less heart probably do crumple right there, but he fought through it locked frank up, and finished the fight shortly thereafter. like him or hate him, he has shown much more patience, and hes shown that he wont wilt at the first sign of things getting tough in there. the guy is simply growing as a mixed martial artist, and he obviously has the attitude(fighting attitude, im not speaking about anything outside of the cage) and fortitude to do well.
scobac
7/13/09 6:04:43PM
On topic. Watching that GIF I would say that Mir for a moment did infact look like a world class striker and considering his intelligence (not so much common sense) and training with Ken Hahn he might be if we get to see him go toe to toe with a striker (that dosnt look like he's on his death bed, Nog). Bottom line is he just like Hendo should have kept his F****** mouth shut. Brock was getting and would still be getting all the negative lashing from fans and media but he decided to open his mouth and gets what he's getting and deserves it.
CwB
7/13/09 8:25:15PM
Mir DOES NOT HAVE WORLD CLASS STRIKING... But he did have mark delegrotte in his corner and delegrotte is a genious when training strikers. so mir might have a bright future in the stand up.

I say Mir vs Cro Cop, then we will see how good mirs stand up actually is
tdietel01
7/13/09 9:32:14PM

Posted by CwB

Mir DOES NOT HAVE WORLD CLASS STRIKING... But he did have mark delegrotte in his corner and delegrotte is a genious when training strikers. so mir might have a bright future in the stand up.

I say Mir vs Cro Cop, then we will see how good mirs stand up actually is

That would be AWESOME!!!!

but if Mir is smart he will take CC down!
KingCmb
7/13/09 10:31:55PM

Posted by Rush
"I dropped Nogueria."

um ya why is this an insult he did drop nog im a nuthugger but im fairly sure he dropped him 3-4 times and is the only man to finish him but if you look at what mir said in the count down he continues on saying nog is 100 times tougher than him so ya he isnt disrespectfull or delusional if ya ask me

this all being said he most certainly was not close to catching brock he had him rocked but brock was still in clear control of the fight

now back to nuthugger mode frankie will get brock in the rubber match
Leland
7/14/09 1:46:39PM
Well Frank has always had something bad to say about someone, so that isn't new.

However, Brock is growing and learning quickly. I am sure with his almost half a million per fight, he is getting top notch training, not to mention the natural strength he has. Ugh I hope he gets pwned soon by Randy or Fedor when he signs (LOL)
Rush
7/14/09 2:21:53PM

Posted by the-king

Posted by Rush
"I dropped Nogueria."

I never said I dropped Nog.
KingCmb
7/14/09 3:43:27PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by the-king

Posted by Rush
"I dropped Nogueria."

I never said I dropped Nog.

i messed up the quote somehow but it was suposed to be from emfleek
emfleek
7/14/09 3:56:42PM

Posted by the-king

i messed up the quote somehow but it was suposed to be from emfleek

I know he dropped Nog. However, that does NOT mean he's a world class striker. That's like saying I'm a professional Nascar driver because I pass cars on the freeway.
Jackelope
7/14/09 4:15:11PM
It's not at all like that. Passing cars on the freeway does not equate to striking at the highest level of the game (the UFC) in MMA. I think Frank has a right to be confident in his striking.

Think about it this way-

Passing cars on the freeway : Nascar

as

Frank Mir's striking : the UFC

You're probably hitting a mental loop in your brain while reading that (I hit one for about 5 minutes while typing it) but that's because your logic is telling you it doesn't make sense.

Pretty much everyone in the UFC is a world class striker. I think we can give this sport that kind of legitimacy now. That doesn't mean they're all a Crocop or an Anderson Silva, but I am perfectly OK with Mir having confidence in his striking.

emfleek
7/14/09 4:35:38PM

Posted by Jackelope

Pretty much everyone in the UFC is a world class striker. I think we can give this sport that kind of legitimacy now. That doesn't mean they're all a Crocop or an Anderson Silva, but I am perfectly OK with Mir having confidence in his striking.

I see what you're trying to say here, but I'm not buying it. I think you and I just have different definition of "world class".

By the way...I have nothing against being confident.
KingCmb
7/14/09 4:58:08PM
correct me if im wrong but nog is a pan american boxing champ

jim in the ford focus isnt a nascar driver

now if you had let say beat Kasey Kahne in a one on one race then you are a world class driver

apples and oranges mir droped a good if not great striker that proves he is a good if not great striker in his own right imo

btw jackalope u get it lol
Kpro
7/14/09 5:09:26PM

Posted by the-king

Or is he ?

No, no he's not.
emfleek
7/14/09 5:50:34PM

Posted by the-king

correct me if im wrong but nog is a pan american boxing champ

now if you had let say beat Kasey Kahne in a one on one race then you are a world class driver

apples and oranges mir droped a good if not great striker that proves he is a good if not great striker in his own right imo

btw jackalope u get it lol

Let's see how they do in a rematch. It'd be one thing if he was known for "dropping" people. A good striker isn't necessarily a world class striker.
Jackelope
7/14/09 5:54:44PM
Hopefully if Nog loses to Randy he will fight Mir in a rematch. I would like to see that
KingCmb
7/14/09 5:55:20PM
i agree and i didnt say he was "world class"

and ya we shall have to wait for the rematch
Pages: 1 [2]