Quinton “Rampage” Jackson Says Joe Silva’s Matchmaking Is Why He’s Leaving the UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Quinton “Rampage” Jackson Says Joe Silva’s Matchmaking Is Why He’s Leaving the UFC
FastKnockout
10/25/12 1:40:38PM
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson unloads on UFC matchmaker Joe Silva for his choice of putting Phil Davis in against Forrest Griffin at UFC 155.

LINK
Hendo67
10/25/12 1:45:32PM
No it's not, it's because he has no fire anymore, he simply doesn't care anymore.
FastKnockout
10/25/12 2:10:20PM
He's just pissed and talking out of his ass. Not sure who he's been talking to but I don't know of anyone whose dying to see a Griffin/Rampage rematch.

Joe Silva does a great job IMO. Sure he does make questionable match-ups here and there but Dana has a lot of say in it too. Not to mention the large roster where injuries are happening left and right.
jlock003
10/25/12 2:12:38PM
If you watch both segments that he did (the one that aired on insidemma and the facebook interview posted) then Rampage really isn't bashing the UFC the way the write up makes it look. Don't get me wrong he definitely said Joe Silva can't match shoes and that's the reason why he's leaving the UFC but in reality that was a pretty harsh reaction to him finding out on camera that Forrest, a guy he had been asking to fight, was fighting Phil Davis now.
Manak
10/25/12 2:47:21PM
rampage becoming one dimensional is the reason he is leaving the ufc
BillsNewAccount
10/25/12 3:16:20PM
I agree with everyone that the reason Rampage is leaving has more to do with him being washed up BUT there has been A LOT of squash matches lately:
Silva v Bonnar
JJ v Chael
JJ v Vitor
And they just announced lil nog v Rashad Evans

Am I the only one who thinks its silly that Jon Jones, by far the biggest 205er, is fighting back to back MWs?

It was funny hearing Dana threaten to give JJ tough fights after 151 only to announce he would be fighting MWs.
fullerene
10/25/12 3:52:08PM

Posted by BillsNewAccount

BUT there has been A LOT of squash matches lately:
Silva v Bonnar
JJ v Chael
JJ v Vitor

Silva vs. Bonnar and JJ vs Vitor were last second matches to save a card. They were not deserving challengers but it was the best they could do under those circumstances and I'm glad that the cards went on. I'm not going to criticize them for that.

I don't think Little Nog vs Evans is a squash. Why would it be? You have a top 5 LHW coming off of a loss going against a top 10 LHW coming off of a win. Their age, experience and size isn't that different. I'll favor Evans, but doesn't seem like an unreasonable fight at all.

JJ vs. Chael--should be criticized but the reasons for making the match are obvious: they need to do something with TUF and something with Jones while he is rehabbing and this was a way of helping to generate interest with the show while keeping their rising star in the limelight. One part of me wants to slam them for this but I also want their product to be successful and I understand why they are doing this....but I won't fault anyone for criticizing this match.

Maybe I'm just jaded from watching boxing. I just watched Eric Morales fight for a title at 140 last weekend and I'm going to watch Wladamir Klitshko defend his title against Mariusz Wach (who?) in his next fight. Even Chael Sonnen looks like pretty good contender by comparison..
infestructure
10/25/12 3:53:28PM
Of course Rampage wants Forrest Griffin for his last fight, it's the only relevant fight he would do well in
kingsmasher
10/25/12 4:17:21PM
I think his matchmaking kinda sucks too...I mean seriously...Does Silva ever read the internet...If so you can cancel Evans and Nogueira...

kingsmasher
10/25/12 4:20:08PM

Posted by fullerene

Silva v Bonnar
JJ v Chael
JJ v Vitor

Silva vs. Bonnar and JJ vs Vitor were last second matches to save a card. They were not deserving challengers but it was the best they could do under those circumstances and I'm glad that the cards went on. I'm not going to criticize them for that.

I don't think Little Nog vs Evans is a squash. Why would it be? You have a top 5 LHW coming off of a loss going against a top 10 LHW coming off of a win. Their age, experience and size isn't that different. I'll favor Evans, but doesn't seem like an unreasonable fight at all.

JJ vs. Chael--should be criticized but the reasons for making the match are obvious: they need to do something with TUF and something with Jones while he is rehabbing and this was a way of helping to generate interest with the show while keeping their rising star in the limelight. One part of me wants to slam them for this but I also want their product to be successful and I understand why they are doing this....but I won't fault anyone for criticizing this match.

Maybe I'm just jaded from watching boxing. I just watched Eric Morales fight for a title at 140 last weekend and I'm going to watch Wladamir Klitshko defend his title against Mariusz Wach (who?) in his next fight. Even Chael Sonnen looks like pretty good contender by comparison..

Evans and Noguira I doubt is close...

As for the boxing matchups you mentioned....UFC is starting to look really similar..

Id prefer a tournament format...Why not for each title...No more this hand picking opponents who help your style...
tallica62
10/25/12 5:29:22PM
He's lost the "Rampage" about him. Now he's just Quinton Jackson.
KungFuMaster
10/25/12 5:54:27PM
I think Rampage is an exciting fighter to watch but in order to witness the excitement you have to pit him against another brawler or striker with amazing courage. It would have to be a fearless type of fighter or else Rampage will likely just get out pointed or out-wrestled in a bore-fest match. Rampage and Maldonaldo would be a great fight.
alienkiller89
10/25/12 7:27:17PM
testing.... testing... just making sure my account can finally make posts lol
Cooler
10/25/12 7:35:26PM
I concur with his sentiments of wanting to fight Forrest. I always thought Rampage won that fight or at least deserved the benefit of the doubt and gotten a draw, Forrest didn't do enough to take the title away imo and the rematch would put an end to that chapter that Forrest ruined by winning the title. We could have had a healthy Rampage vs Rashad at UFC 92 and Wand vs Forrest which would have been the better matchups and moved the division along more smoothly, especially since I think a healthy motivated Rampage would have beaten Rashad like he almost did in the 3rd round of their overdue fight.
Chael_Sonnen
10/25/12 7:59:41PM
Little known fact fellow CHAELgrounders- - -

Before JJ was offered the slot to coach against yours truly on TUF, Mr. A-Team turned down the OPPORTUNITY to get embarrassed AGAIN before getting his inevitable pink slip.....smart move ramPAGE - - - now, if only you would run in "training" like you did against (P)erfection
Sir_Karl
10/25/12 9:26:23PM
I have been saying this for years but I think Joe Silva is a terrible matchmaker contrary to what people have been led to believe.

I agree with Rampage in the fact that Phil Davis should not be going down several levels to face Griffin. It makes no sense...but what does one expect when Joe Silva is making these matches??? Half of the match ups he comes up with make no sense.
ghandikush
10/25/12 10:33:53PM
Im interested in a second 5 rounder between those two. I would prefer to have Rampage vs Glover so he can get that swingfest he's been wanting and can get knocked out.
Bubbles
10/26/12 12:06:35AM
I blame Thiago Silva for this. Had he not used horse piss and failed the test, we would have seen Silva vs Rampage and a much happier Rampage afterwards...instead he got Hamill (only shot for sloppy TDs) and Bader (TD and ground control) with a beatdown from Jones in between.

I'm not faulting any of his opponents for their strategies, but obviously Rampage isn't very fond of it. I still want to see him fight Thiago though
FlashyG
10/26/12 12:33:27AM

Posted by kingsmasher

Id prefer a tournament format...Why not for each title...No more this hand picking opponents who help your style...

The Strikeforce HW GP went so well, of course we should do many more.

At this point in their careers Rampage vs Griffin would be an undercard fight, at least with Glover he'll get some people watching his fight.
MMAcca
10/26/12 8:52:09AM

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by kingsmasher

At this point in their careers Rampage vs Griffin would be an undercard fight, at least with Glover he'll get some people watching his fight.

Too true .

I'd give him a fair chance of beating Glover too.
airkerma
10/26/12 9:48:29AM

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by kingsmasher

Right, and Bellator's tournament style just sucks so much ass too, so all ideas of tourney's should just be abandoned
Biggavelli
10/26/12 9:55:12AM
I'm a Rampage fan but I think he has been bitching to much recently.

I do think Joe Silva makes some iffy matchups, first to come to mind Griffin vs. Davis.

What is that all about? They should of just set up Rampage vs. Griffin 2. That would of been a much more competitive fight
BillsNewAccount
10/26/12 12:32:08PM

Posted by fullerene

Silva v Bonnar
JJ v Chael
JJ v Vitor

lil Nog has lost 2 of his 3 last fights to young quick wrestlers and neither of them were as talented as Rashad. There are plenty of guys lil Nog can take at 205 but Rashad isn't one. Joe Silva knows this and just wants to pad Rashad's record with another W over a well known name.
FlashyG
10/26/12 12:51:58PM

Posted by airkerma
Right, and Bellator's tournament style just sucks so much ass too, so all ideas of tourney's should just be abandoned

The highest ratings Bellator has ever gotten for an event is less than half of what the worst TUF episode has attained.

Tournament formats in MMA are a gimmick, and not a model the UFC needs to follow.
bjj1605
10/26/12 1:31:20PM
Let's sum up the last 50 news articles concerning Rampage.....

airkerma
10/26/12 2:01:22PM

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by airkerma

The highest ratings Bellator has ever gotten for an event is less than half of what the worst TUF episode has attained.

Tournament formats in MMA are a gimmick, and not a model the UFC needs to follow.

I think that's leaving out quite a few confounding variables, as far as Bellator's ratings go:
1. Lack of marketing
2. Lack of available viewers
3. Poor timing
4. Smaller names for fighters
5. Poor television channel

These things are all reasons why Bellator doesn't do as well as let's say, a TUF episode, not to mention a TUF episode contains a large amount of drama so comparing the two is not exactly accurate. The numbers say more about Bellator than about the tournament style. Considering most major sports have playoffs, which are essentially elimination tournaments, it is safe to say that the sports world relies on tournaments.

If you want me to expand on any of this, I am very open for a discussion, but to say a tournament won't work 'just 'cause' is hardly a reason to shy away from the idea. Besides, isn't that basically what they just did with the flyweights?