UFC Quick Quote: With a win, and some help, Keith Jardine thinks he’s in

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Quick Quote: With a win, and some help, Keith Jardine thinks he’s in
nickcuc547
2/9/08 3:39:01PM

“There’s a good chance (Forrest Griffin) wins the fight (with Rampage Jackson) and that means I’m in line to get the next fight.”

– Top 205-pound contender Keith Jardine tells 15Rounds.com that if he wins his next fight, which is rumored to be against Wanderlei Silva, he’ll get the next shot at the light heavyweight crown … if Forrest Griffin can defeat current champ, Rampage Jackson. There was no explanation as to what happens if Rampage retains the belt; however, it’s safe to say that he’ll earn the winner of the June clash between Chuck Liddell and Mauricio “Shogun” Rua. Jardine already defeated Griffin, creating a marketable rematch between two well-known contestants on The Ultimate Fighter (TUF).

http://mmamania.com/2008/02/09/ufc-quick-quote-with-a-win-and-some-help-keith-jardine-thinks-hes-in/
MALICE
2/9/08 3:45:32PM
Well, maybe after another win or two, I could see that happening. Like the writer said, a Machida/Jardine fight could very well determine the next top contender spot.
nickcuc547
2/9/08 3:47:23PM
agree, but if they give chuck a shot over jardine or machida ill be pissed, i know he's their biggest star but the guy hasn't earned his way back yet.
gsquat
2/9/08 4:11:22PM
After his upcoming fight with Hua he will have.
Pookie
2/9/08 4:54:34PM

Posted by gsquat

After his upcoming fight with Hua he will have.

thats true, but hopefully he wont win
jae_1833
2/9/08 5:24:42PM
I still think that the 205lb div is mixed up and needs some sorting out...Jardine got KOed by Houston, but then beat Chuck...and Chuck is above Jardine
Then there is the fact that he also beat Forrest, and Forrest is ahead of Jardine
Not that I am a Jardine hugger or anything, but who else is going to get a shot at the title before him...Gouveia???
I think he should fight 1 more guy, Machida, and if he wins he gets the shot...if not Machida should be next in line...Tito win or lose to Machida shouldn't be in there at all for at least 3-5 fights!
tuvok500
2/9/08 7:48:30PM

Posted by jae_1833

I still think that the 205lb div is mixed up and needs some sorting out...Jardine got KOed by Houston, but then beat Chuck...and Chuck is above Jardine
Then there is the fact that he also beat Forrest, and Forrest is ahead of Jardine
Not that I am a Jardine hugger or anything, but who else is going to get a shot at the title before him...Gouveia???
I think he should fight 1 more guy, Machida, and if he wins he gets the shot...if not Machida should be next in line...Tito win or lose to Machida shouldn't be in there at all for at least 3-5 fights!

Man, If Tito beat Machida he will be at the same place that Machida would have been with a win, they are fighting man, the winner move up and the loser move down, it is not " well Machida will be at 1 win of a title shot if he beat Tito but Tito will be at 3 to 5 win to a title shot if he beat Machida , come on !!

And the ranking is ok, Forrest and Jardine are close second and third, since we don't have a tie in a ranking .

Jardine would have been ahead but his lost over a guy who was not a top 20 have dropped him a little bit more and his win over Liddell was not enough to move back in from of Forrest because of his win over Shogun.

Pookie
2/9/08 7:54:40PM

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by jae_1833

Man, If Tito beat Machida he will be at the same place that Machida would have been with a win, they are fighting man, the winner move up and the loser move down, it is not " well Machida will be at 1 win of a title shot if he beat Tito but Tito will be at 3 to 5 win to a title shot if he beat Machida , come on !!

And the ranking is ok, Forrest and Jardine are close second and third, since we don't have a tie in a ranking .

Jardine would have been ahead but his lost over a guy who was not a top 20 have dropped him a little bit more and his win over Liddell was not enough to move back in from of Forrest because of his win over Shogun.

thats where i disagree with alot of people.
Jardine's victory over liddell was much more impressive that forrests win over shogun.
Liddell was fighting 100% healthy, shogun showed up heavily injured and it showed.
Jardine had a much harder opponent on that night, he should be ahead of forrest.
cowcatcher
2/9/08 8:01:30PM
had jardin taken HA seriously we wouldnt even have this discussion, but thats neither here nor there at this point. theres a logjam at the top of the 205 division, and the TUF filming and subsequent title fight layoff havent helped, what really needs to happen is the winners or the upcoming LHW fights need to face each other and see whos left after the dust settles. until then its really up to the UFC brass to determine who is ahead of who. at this point we know forrest is getting his shot, after that machida, and chuck(with wins) would be able to stake a claim as well as jardine.
tuvok500
2/9/08 8:28:24PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by jae_1833

Jardine's victory over liddell was much more impressive that forrests win over shogun.
Liddell was fighting 100% healthy, shogun showed up heavily injured and it showed.
Jardine had a much harder opponent on that night, he should be ahead of forrest.

Well, Forrest was also injured, he was having a shoulder problem and he got surgery after the fight, , so it was not a 100% Forrest against a 80% Shogun.It was 2 guy injured who were fighting.

Shogun's injuree would have never been a big problem if he would have won the fight but since he got submit, it is now the biggest excuse of the UFC history !! lol

Pookie
2/9/08 8:31:18PM

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by Pookie

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by jae_1833

Well, Forrest was also injured, he was having a shoulder problem and he got surgery after the fight, , so it was not a 100% Forrest against a 80% Shogun.It was 2 guy injured who were fighting.

Shogun's injuree would have never been a big problem if he would have won the fight but since he got submit, it is now the biggest excuse of the UFC history !! lol

Yes it still would have been a problem.
A torn acl is a debilitating injury, especially in a combat sport. its wasnt an 80% shogun by any means, its was more like a 35% shogun.
MALICE
2/9/08 8:33:00PM
Shogun was foolish to fight with that severe of an injury.
tuvok500
2/9/08 8:48:10PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by Pookie

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by jae_1833

A torn acl is a debilitating injury, especially in a combat sport. its wasnt an 80% shogun by any means, its was more like a 35% shogun.

35% come on man !!!

At 35% nobody would have passed the first minute !!
I know you like Shogun but , i see a little bit of exageration here !! lol

If Shogun was at 35% , Forrest was at 36% !! lol

Pookie
2/9/08 8:48:37PM

Posted by xxMALICExx

He's a great fighter, doesnt mean hes not stupid
MALICE
2/9/08 8:59:52PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by xxMALICExx

He's a great fighter, doesnt mean hes not stupid

Good Point. It comes back to the question, does it take more brains or brawn to be a great fighter?
quezocrema0032
2/9/08 10:12:18PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by Pookie

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by jae_1833

Stop making excuses for shogun holy crap everyone accept it forrest beat him not forrest beat a hurt shogun forrest won give him his god damn credit
cowcatcher
2/9/08 10:14:15PM
the guy above me is right albeit a little abrasive, a win is a win. shogun will be back. losses happen in mma.
Pookie
2/9/08 10:24:01PM

Posted by quezocrema0032

Posted by Pookie

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by Pookie

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by jae_1833

Stop making excuses for shogun holy crap everyone accept it forrest beat him not forrest beat a hurt shogun forrest won give him his god damn credit

that post wasnt making an excuse for shogun, it was to illustrate that forrests win wasnt as impressive as jardines becuase he basically beat a cripple(skilled albeit).

Read the context next time so you dont end up pissing yourself off again
quezocrema0032
2/9/08 11:33:26PM
lmao ... dont go there with bj penn or griffin ... thats all ...
jomatty
2/10/08 9:20:49AM
pointing out that shogun was hurt doesnt in any way take away from forrests win. they both showed up to fight and both deserve all the credit, win or lose. it becomes applicable when people say things like "shogun sucks" or "forrest is clearly much better than shogun". this guy was widely considered the best 205'er in the world and i think he still is the most dangerous 205'er (although i obviously dont think he should be ranked number 1".

the liddel fight is a bad matchup for him and whoever wins this one should be right up their with machida imo, for a title shot. jardine is up their too but...id rather see chuck, rua, or machida get a shot first and i think jardine should have to face one of those guys again with the winner getting the title shot. i dont see him beating any of those guys, including chuck, this time around (although if he did then i too would say give him his chance".
Red-Dragon
2/10/08 9:53:58AM
Why make excuses for Shogun? If a fighter is fit enough to fit in his own opinion then he fights. He doesnt continue with the fight thinking "Oh well if I lose then I will blame the injury"

Shogun does not deserve a title shot by winning his next fight. He will only be 1-1 in the UFC and that IMO is not good enough. Jardine, Forrest, Machida should all get a shot before Shogun and the time that it takes to come round to his shot would give him a chance to rack up a few wins.

If the winner of Shogun v Liddell gets a shot straight away it will be because of Marketability not merit.
scpd400
2/11/08 6:44:24PM
I see Griffin taking the belt from jackson. I don't think Jardine can hold Griffins jock. Thats my opinion. I think Chuck wins his next fight and Griffin takes the belt and Chuck and Griffin fight for the belt. Thats my opinion
Red-Dragon
2/12/08 8:14:46AM
Although he did suprise me by beating Shogun I cant see Griffin repeating that against Rampage. I take Rampage by KO and if he has to fight Chuck after that well we all know that he has Chucks number.
skinnator
3/29/08 11:33:16PM
I hope Jardine wins vs Wandy. With the kicks he delivers and the KO power he has, he might win.
sinister_16
4/4/08 10:01:59AM
keith doesnt deserve a title shot at all we are lucky if he makes it second round against wanderlei next person to get a title shot is machida or the winner between rashad and chuck