UFC Quick Quote: Thiago Alves via knockout of Diego Sanchez at UFC 90

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Quick Quote: Thiago Alves via knockout of Diego Sanchez at UFC 90
SmileR
8/16/08 11:59:47AM
”I know I’m going to knock him out. It doesn’t matter what round…. I want to put on an exciting fight for the fans. Diego is a pretty tough guy, but I can knock him out. But I have to take him down and submit him, I’ll do that. I’ll be on top of my game.”

– Thiago Alves shares his prediction (a knockout) with the Chicago Sun-Times for his upcoming welterweight scrap with Diego Sanchez at UFC 90: “Silva vs. Cote” at the Allstate Arena in Chicago, Ill., on October 25. “The Pitbull” has every reason to be confident — he is riding impressive back-to-back technical knockout wins over top contenders, Matt Hughes and Karo Parisyan. The winner of this fight will likely land a spot behind BJ Penn as the next 170-pound title challenger or at the very least earn a berth in a number one contender eliminator match.

Link
Jason-plata
8/16/08 12:13:20PM
I agree with Tiago... I see a KO in the 2nd round. He is very very tough, and strong.
Porch28
8/16/08 1:07:13PM
I hope Alves absolutely destroys Sanchez. 1st round Flying knee KO
tarantula
8/16/08 1:12:57PM
fighters often under estimate Diego, thats why he usually wins. He has better ground work and always has a surprise on his feet. Diego in the 3rd round via submission.
MikeyMikeMichaels
8/16/08 1:16:51PM
I think Alves is in for a rude awakening.
Bloodhound
8/16/08 1:52:32PM
this is the fight im looking foward to most outside of Arlovski Vs. Barnett

its gonna be a war but i got Thiago via 3rd round ko
bojangalz
8/16/08 1:53:36PM
WAR Alves!
MikeyG
8/16/08 2:11:31PM
Bring on GSP vs Alves, instead of BJ vs GSP
Porch28
8/16/08 2:22:18PM

Posted by tarantula

fighters often under estimate Diego, thats why he usually wins. He has better ground work and always has a surprise on his feet. Diego in the 3rd round via submission.

Twenty20Dollars
8/16/08 2:24:56PM
Thiago wont submit diego. I see diego submitting thiago.
nickcuc547
8/16/08 2:29:29PM

Posted by tarantula

diego has sick submissions, but he needs to get the fight to the ground to get one, i don't think he does, thiago blasts him for the tko.
MikeyG
8/16/08 2:32:15PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

cmon just look at what he did to karo and matt, the few times that karo actually got it down he didnt do anything or thiago popped up quickly training with ferguson a judo master, and look at how well luigi did against diego and he isnt even top 20, thiago's going to do what diego did to riggs
Twenty20Dollars
8/16/08 2:39:46PM
diego is better than karo on the ground. Diego can also take a punch and throw some power of his own.

im just saying what i think.
gartface
8/16/08 4:36:36PM

Posted by MikeyG

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

cmon just look at what he did to karo and matt, the few times that karo actually got it down he didnt do anything or thiago popped up quickly training with ferguson a judo master, and look at how well luigi did against diego and he isnt even top 20, thiago's going to do what diego did to riggs

How well he did against Luigi? He beat one of the division's boxer's at his own game. Didn't try to take him down for the majority of the match, and knocked him out...Yeah he was so disappointing against Luigi... I used to hate the guy, but I have nothing but respect for Diego now man, his game along with Koscheck's have evolved and improved more than anyone in the division in the past 2 years. I see Diego being able to wrestle Thiago to the ground, and possibly submitting him, but most likely I see a very very exciting decision with Mr. Sanchez winning.
Bloodhound
8/16/08 5:35:22PM
ya Diego has great sumbissions, but Thiago Alves is a Black Belt in BJJ and has great sumbission defense
gartface
8/16/08 6:17:40PM

Posted by Bloodhound

ya Diego has great sumbissions, but Thiago Alves is a Black Belt in BJJ and has great sumbission defense

He got triangled by Spencer Fischer...
Bloodhound
8/16/08 6:40:04PM
it was his 1st octagon fight ever lol, in 18 fights Thiago has been sumbitted twice and it was earlier in his career
jiujitsufreak74
8/16/08 6:46:35PM
this isn't really a tough pick for me. Diego's fight with Luigi proved that he is extremely vulnerable to anyone with a sprawl. if Luigi could give Diego problems and even win a round (which i thought he did) i am 100% sure that Thiago will be able to win this fight. if Luigi can keep it standing and land punches, then Thiago can too. Diego has been exposed and Thiago will capitalize. i just feel that Diego has fallen in love with boxing and that he will test himself on the feet. when he starts to realize he is outmatched on the feet, he will go to his bull-rush shot which Thiago should be able to easily avoid and land the winning strike in the second round.

Thiago R2 KO

Sir_Karl
8/16/08 8:30:22PM
I would love to see Alves (or anyone else) knock Sanchez out cold in the middle of the Octagon.
I think it would be one of my happiest MMA moments.

Canadian-Pain
8/16/08 10:55:32PM
I dont see Diego submitting the Pitbull. And i dont think he can knock him out

Alves 2 rd TKO G&P
saemskin
8/17/08 2:46:48AM
Diego will destroy Thiago on the ground, his combination of wrestling and jiu jutsu ability is going to be a huge factor in this fight once Thiago realises he can't knock Deigo out because he can't land a solid punch. He'll be too fast.

This is all assuming Thiago Alves's lard ass can make weight.
If he does, man the size differnece is going to be huge, alot like Deigo's fight against Fitch. But since my MMAmath is tellin me that Fitch stomped Thiago's ass into the ground, but couldn't put Diego away, I don't think he was ever in too much danger was he?

I want to go and watch both their fights with Fitch again.....

Diego submission round 2