UFC Quick Quote: Thiago Alves is going to knock Georges St. Pierre out

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Quick Quote: Thiago Alves is going to knock Georges St. Pierre out
SmileR
2/4/09 12:19:12PM
“It’ll be a great fight. I’m very excited, I can’t wait … It’s going to be great. I saw what he did with BJ Penn and I’ll have to beat him a lot, do my game. I expected and didn’t expect [St. Pierre to dominate Penn] understood? (laughs). I knew he would win, but not this way. He’s much bigger than the BJ, a better athlete, and the sport today, in that level, you have to be the best athlete. I’ll go there to knock him out.”

– Number one welterweight contender Thiago Alves shares his hopes with Tatame.com regarding the outcome of his pending title fight with 170-pound champion Georges St. Pierre. “Rush” recently restored order to a division on the brink of chaos by pummeling BJ Penn at UFC 94 on January 31. Now St. Pierre can focus on business in the welterweight division - most notably Thiago Alves. “Pitbull” has been on a two-year tear, with five of his last seven wins ending by way of (T)KO, including stoppages over ranked opponents Matt Hughes and Karo Parisyan. This one’s going to be fireworks indeed.

Link
tuvok500
2/4/09 12:25:28PM

Posted by SmileR

“It’ll be a great fight. I’m very excited, I can’t wait … It’s going to be great. I saw what he did with BJ Penn and I’ll have to beat him a lot, do my game. I expected and didn’t expect [St. Pierre to dominate Penn] understood? (laughs). I knew he would win, but not this way. He’s much bigger than the BJ, a better athlete, and the sport today, in that level, you have to be the best athlete. I’ll go there to knock him out.”

– Number one welterweight contender Thiago Alves shares his hopes with Tatame.com regarding the outcome of his pending title fight with 170-pound champion Georges St. Pierre. “Rush” recently restored order to a division on the brink of chaos by pummeling BJ Penn at UFC 94 on January 31. Now St. Pierre can focus on business in the welterweight division - most notably Thiago Alves. “Pitbull” has been on a two-year tear, with five of his last seven wins ending by way of (T)KO, including stoppages over ranked opponents Matt Hughes and Karo Parisyan. This one’s going to be fireworks indeed.

Link

the joke of the year !! Thiago you are so funny !!!
wiggum
2/4/09 12:57:00PM
i personally agree that he'll knock gsp out.......it would be silly for anybody to laugh at that prospect wether you think he will or not......alves is huge, gsp wont be able to push him around like he did penn or serra....alves has excellent takedown and scrambling back to his feet abilities, which wont solve gsps takedowns, but will help more and prevent less takedowns than gsps previous opponents (say what ya want about fitchs wrestling, he's always seemed to lack high level takedown def)......bjj i would give to gsp, along with submissions and ground control but alves is no stranger being a black belt himself.....but that all rests on how much gsp can keep him there......everybody talks about gsps athleticsim but alves is no slouch either.....and strength for strength muscle for muscle, theyre about even....cardio id go with gsp just cuz we havent seen alves in a 5 rd fight........the all important striking will be were this fight is decided.....they are close to even, with alves having a slight edge....i really think that gsps striking is underated but thats just showing how much i think of alves striking in saying that....power in strikes is an obvious alves.....chin goes to alves, fitch stopped him three years ago on a nasty nasty upkick, while gsp got ko'd by a lightweight.......im not hatin on gsp, but i just think that alves is gonna catch him and keep catchin him until he falls...not first rd, but 2nd or third
kasual
2/4/09 1:27:54PM
Anything is possible in MMA. If I had read a similar quote by Rashad talking about Chuck I would have probably been pretty skeptical as well. That being said, I really don't see that happening. While there may not be a perceivable size difference between the fighters GSP is probably in much better condition than Alves. If GSP wants to take him down he will, his take downs are probably the best in MMA at present. That means this fight can go as long as GSP wants it to, or as long as Thiago can endure large amounts of punishment on the ground. Plus you cannot discount one of GSP's greatest assets, Greg Jackson, this is a guarantee that GSP will come focused with a winning game plan. I can see Thiago being the champ someday, but I don't feel as though it's his time to take it from the best ever GSP. If anyone has any doubts I would have hoped that his drubbings of BJ and Fitch would have answered them. Going to be a great fight regardless, and like I said, anything is possible.
EvenFlow
2/4/09 1:40:36PM
yes he will and i cant wait, gsp nuthair swingers beware
mk1630
2/4/09 2:58:05PM
I like both fighters, but GSP is one of my favorites. Saying that, i think it is very possible that Alves could win this fight. I dont think Alves size will play a big part in this fight, but his power in his striking very well could. If Gsp can control Alves on the ground and pepper him with punches and elbows while working for submissions, i think he'll eventually catch him later in the fight.
wapttn
2/4/09 4:57:07PM
gsp is by far my favourite fighter for so many reasons... class, skill, ability, dedication, focus, determination, potential... etc etc etc, but I honestly think that thiago has the biggest chance of an upset of anybody in the ww division.

His skillset is fairly well rounded and he's an absolute beast on the feet. He finished hughes faster than gsp did, and was the only person to legitimately finish karo (and in devastating fashion). If you compare resumes, thiago is a serious threat. To make things worse, koscheck who has some of the best wrestling in the division had absolutely no luck in getting thiago down... that says a fair amount about thiago's takedown defense. If gsp cant get thiago down, then he'll have to stand with him, and if he stands with him, then he'll be at risk of getting KTFOed.

As lovely as that all sounds, i still think that gsp is a legitimate heavy favourite for the simple reason that what he did to penn, he can do to any fighter in the ww division. If gsp can take down penn at will, then he can take down any ww fighter at will. If gsp can pass pen's guard, he can pass anybody's guard in the ww division. Those two reasons alone make gsp an extremely hard fight to compete against. To make things worse, it'll be a 5 round fight... and we dont know what alves' conditioning is like in the championship rounds... oh ya, did we mention that gsp trains at jackson's? There is a legitimate threat of gsp getting knocked out on the feet because every round starts standing up and because gsp has never faced the kinda striker that alves is..... but i really dont see anybody taking the belt away from gsp for a long, long time.
Wolfenstein
2/4/09 5:42:11PM
Anything can happen I guess. Thiago is constantly improving, but he is stil essentially a one dimensional fighter. If plan A goes wrong, there really is no plan B. I think being limited to winning via one aspect of the gae is going to create an uphill battle for Alves.

He stopped one of the best TD artists in the game (Josh Koscheck), but Josh was also coming in on short notice and had focused primarilly;if not entirely on his striking. If he had known in advance that he would be fighting Thiago Alves, I don't think Josh's gameplan would have been entirely different. There's also a big difference in the way Josh shoots and GSP shoots. Josh doesn't sethis shots up, he just straight up shoots, and typically his wrestling and athletic ability are enough to get an opponent down. Last time out it just wasn't enough. GSP on the other hand sets his shot up with strikes, and is constantly changing levels.

Thiago has in my opinion, the best low roundhouse in MMA, and it's probably his best bet for a win. If he can beat up GSP's legs early and often and take some spring out of George's leg, then he could very well win the battle on the feet. Another possibility would be timing a flying knee, but typically those take not only perfect timing, but also a predictable opponent, and a little bit of luck.

Thiago has some pretty good hands, but I don't think they're dynamite. A lot of people have questioned George's chin after his loss to Serra, but he took a good right directly on the mastoid process (behind the ear) and that's a KO sweet spot--just about any fighter would be KO'd by that punch. I don't think Thiago has that one punch power neccessary to take George out.

I think it will play out much like GSP vs BJ...George won't look for the shot immediately, rather he'll look to press Thiago against the cage and tire him out first, and then he'll work for the takedowns and GnP. With the amount of weight that Thiago cuts...well I just can't see him bing able to keep the pace that GSP will undoubtedly set.
casey64
2/4/09 5:55:23PM
I can't wait for this, this fight will be amazing pulling for Alves though.
EMauricio
2/4/09 6:41:41PM
i like them both but for alves to say that he's going to knock him out is abit arrogant. gsp won decisively over fithc and fitch is one big 170er. gsp completely dominated koschek making him a very complete fighter. alves is a big 170 but he is more one dimensional. gsp is proven that he doesn't care who you are... he'll take u apart because he's more well rounded. it's early to tell who is going to win but i don't see anyone knocking anyone out. just my two cents worth.
jocka
2/4/09 7:40:13PM
I love both fighters but i think that GSP will go through Alvves like he did Penn, the 2 differences are that Alves is a better well rounded striker than Penn so GSP needs to be careful on his feet so he doesn't get KO or his front leg CHOPPED. Second if GSP gets Alves to the ground, which in my opinion will, he will be able to pound ALves into a submission, what he wasn't able to do to Penn.

Another thing to remember is that Alves probably won't leg kick as much as he normally does cause GSP will use it to get it to the ground so i think Alves might be a lot more conservative on his feet.

masodd
2/4/09 11:02:19PM
I'm pulling for Alves but GSP is gonna dominate him i think. TKO rd 2 via GnP
jascri
2/4/09 11:28:57PM
I really feel that it's about tme Thiago gets KO'd. And then he disappears.
EvenFlow
2/5/09 12:32:14AM

Posted by jocka

I love both fighters but i think that GSP will go through Alvves like he did Penn, the 2 differences are that Alves is a better well rounded striker than Penn so GSP needs to be careful on his feet so he doesn't get KO or his front leg CHOPPED. Second if GSP gets Alves to the ground, which in my opinion will, he will be able to pound ALves into a submission, what he wasn't able to do to Penn.

Another thing to remember is that Alves probably won't leg kick as much as he normally does cause GSP will use it to get it to the ground so i think Alves might be a lot more conservative on his feet.

Nobody has been able to hold Alvez down in a long time and if they did he gets right up right away, not condoning GSP's skills but the Koscheck fight is a good indication of how this fight will probably go. GSP needs to drag this into the later rounds and I dont know if he can get it there, I like Thiago's gameplan going into a fight and it will be superior in this matchup imo. GSP will be gunshy and is a bit predictable in his gameplan these days relying on wrestling with limited striking to set up the takedowns (not a bad plan just a bit predictable).

I'll be honest I thought BJ was gonna win but I knew he was around a 2/3 underdog from the odds and weight alone so deep down I knew I was hopin' for a UFC 1 kind of event where the smaller guys win (BJ and Gono). However Thiago will be equal in weight with GSP so no strength advantage in that fight. Again the Koscheck fight couldnt be a better indication of this fight stylistically, Thiago is a better striker than Serra, can defend takedowns better than BJ these days, if he gets taken down he'll spring back up, sprawl and brawl.
bigbubbano23
2/5/09 12:32:42AM
ATT is amazing but there is no way he's gonna win this fight.