UFC Quick Quote: Thales Leites not interested in Nate Marquardt rematch

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Quick Quote: Thales Leites not interested in Nate Marquardt rematch
MMAcca
6/12/08 3:54:12PM
“I don’t think so [take a rematch with Nate Marquardt]. He did a lot of illegal things to me. In my opinion it was his obligation to knock me out in the second round after the illegal knee. If he wants to fight me again I think he should get to the line, and wait in it again. I’m looking for the title-shot. He had his chance before, and he couldn’t get it so now it’s my time.”

LINK
NatedawgThaM
6/12/08 5:27:42PM
HE SHOULDN'T NEED TOO!!!

Good for him. Marquardt's dumbass should be lucky he didn't get disqualified for that piledriver he gave him, Thales wasn't the same since. He should have gotten a point deduction for that so I don't find it controversial in any way. If Marquardt wants to fight dirty, he has to pay the consequences. Thales could have had his neck broken from that stupid move.

I wouldn't risk my health in a rematch either.
iwannabesedated
6/12/08 5:36:30PM
Why do people hate on Nate for the piledriver,But Rampage can powerbomb people..That piledriver wasnt as near as bad as the Slam on Arona.There both dangerous but still pretty damn awesome to see them used.If i was Leites i wouldnt want the fight either because Nate would would beat him and set him back, instead Nate is the one who got a setback for losing to him.
Wolfenstein
6/12/08 5:41:23PM
Yeah Marquardt was definetely winning the fight, but I don’t think it’s even debatable that he lost the first round. Then he scored to fouls to make the last two 9-9 rounds. So good decision.

It sucks for Nate, but you know he looked like a really dirty fighter. It looked like Nate was fightig with his own set of rules and Leites was stuck with UFC rules. Grabbing the cage, illegal elbows, illegal knees, piledrivers; he had a whole bag of dirty tricks for this one

I think you need to dismiss Nate’s dominance in the later rounds as well because Leites did not look like the same fighter after that knee. He looked like he was on rubber stilts from that point on.

I don’t blame Leites for avoiding a rematch. Who wants to fight soem bar-room-brawler that has no respect for the rules.
iwannabesedated
6/12/08 5:48:01PM

Posted by luke420187

I don’t blame Leites for avoiding a rematch. Who wants to fight soem bar-room-brawler that has no respect for the rules.

A guy who is a multiple time King Of Pancrase....A bar room brawler...
wrona666
6/12/08 6:09:27PM
I dont think Nate was realy intensional in anything that he did, but Thales should not have to fight him again.....He won the first round in my opinion and was almost completly knocked unconcious from the illegal knee so for him to even be able to finish the fight after that i give him props and i do think he deserved the win......If Nate wanted it bad enough he should have been able to finish a battered Leites......
tberg420
6/12/08 6:14:29PM
I think that a lot of people's opinions reflect who they picked in that fight. I've watched it numerous times and still think that Nate won the fight. However, I don't think that Leites should act like he dominated the fight or that he is above fighting Nate again. After all, it took two fouls for Leites to win a Split Decision.
breakdown5
6/12/08 6:37:26PM
Nate won the fight, but lost on points. Leites is right to say that Marquardt needs to climb back up the ladder. While he got his ass handed to him by Marquardt, Leites won the fight in the judges perspective with the two point deduction. Marquardt should have finished Leites, who was obviously injured by the illegal knee. He knew that he was down two points, he should have gone for broke after the second point deduction.

The fight may have ended in controversy, but Leites should feel no obligation to give Marquardt a rematch.
xAcidburNx
6/12/08 6:52:46PM

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

Why do people hate on Nate for the piledriver,But Rampage can powerbomb people..That piledriver wasnt as near as bad as the Slam on Arona.There both dangerous but still pretty damn awesome to see them used.If i was Leites i wouldnt want the fight either because Nate would would beat him and set him back, instead Nate is the one who got a setback for losing to him.

i wouldnt compair a power bomb to a head spike. completely different things and the spike is way way more dangerous. you could put sumone in a wheel chair for life with that sort of thing. besides. the powerbomb is legal and the spike is not. for good reason
NatedawgThaM
6/12/08 6:55:33PM

It really only depends on which fighters view you are looking at. If I'm Marquardt, I'm pissed I got a point deducted for something that wasn't illegal, but if I got it for the Piledriver, I'd be more understanding. But from Thales, why would you want to fight against a fighter who fought against you dirty? The man almost paralyzed him. I'd be pissed so I'd be looking at fighting other top contenders above me and let myself cool down while letting the rematch maybe happen later down the road when each are about a fight away form a title shot.

But I won't lie. I PHUCKIN' LOVED THAT PILEDRIVER, THAT WAS BAD ASS!!!! The Rampage slams/Hughes on Newton slam are some of my most favorite moves executed. It was really tight, but the difference is the piledriver was a head spike which is illegal where slams aren't. Slams really depend on where you land. Arona and Newton got dropped on the back of there heads so they were KO'd but most slams just take the wind out of you since you usually land on your back. But the head spike could paralyze you or even kill you.
xAcidburNx
6/12/08 6:56:28PM

Posted by tberg420

I think that a lot of people's opinions reflect who they picked in that fight. I've watched it numerous times and still think that Nate won the fight. However, I don't think that Leites should act like he dominated the fight or that he is above fighting Nate again. After all, it took two fouls for Leites to win a Split Decision.

Personally i would take the fight with nate again. hes a top contender and the guy fought so dirty i would like to get in there and hand it to the asshole. any normal guy would be pissed about it and want revenge. maybe in leites figures not givin him a rematch is punishment enough but im gonna bet that joe silva isnt gonna put leites up in the rankings for winning because of illegal blows done to him
xAcidburNx
6/12/08 6:58:16PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

It really only depends on which fighters view you are looking at. If I'm Marquardt, I'm pissed I got a point deducted for something that wasn't illegal, but if I got it for the Piledriver, I'd be more understanding. But from Thales, why would you want to fight against a fighter who fought against you dirty? The man almost paralyzed him. I'd be pissed so I'd be looking at fighting other top contenders above me and let myself cool down while letting the rematch maybe happen later down the road when each are about a fight away form a title shot.

But I won't lie. I PHUCKIN' LOVED THAT PILEDRIVER, THAT WAS BAD ASS!!!! The Rampage slams/Hughes on Newton slam are some of my most favorite moves executed. It was really tight, but the difference is the piledriver was a head spike which is illegal where slams aren't. Slams really depend on where you land. Arona and Newton got dropped on the back of there heads so they were KO'd but most slams just take the wind out of you since you usually land on your back. But the head spike could paralyze you or even kill you.

the randleman spike on fedor was way better
iwannabesedated
6/12/08 7:03:38PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

OK..But if Arona wouldve landed on his neck he would've been paralyzed or seriosuly hurt as well.

And i highly doubt Nate threw that knew knowing it was illegal...Thales was on his way Up...although his knee was grounded.Bad timing is what i call it.I dont look at Nate as a dirty fighter.

teddythetuna
6/12/08 7:11:26PM
I dont consider nate a dirty fighter but there should have been a point ded. for the piledriver which came off with the elbow anyway so he did lose. so why should he get a rematch. but there have been worse slams than the piledriver. i cant remember which fight but a guy got dropped on his head and the fighter dropped his ass right on top of his head when they landed. that could have been way worse.
whardin19
6/12/08 8:11:35PM
Wow! I don't know about you guys but Leites sounds like he thinks he's a top contender. I do agree he shouldn't have to rematch Nate. But, for this guy to at like theres this huge line of guys that want to fight him because he thinks he tops in the division is ludicris! Nate won that fight in my opinion, but his stupid mistaks lost him 2 points. Although I still don't think that second point deduction was a good one. Leites you better get your ego in check because you have no chance against Anderson or Franklin which are tops in this divsion.
Aaronno9
6/12/08 10:43:35PM
Im not surprised he doesn't want to rematch nate, i mean, no offence to the guy, it was fotn imo, but nate was beating the shit out of him, and i think hed win a rematch. Id be willing to do a year long av bet, aswell as betting all my playground money nate would win the rematch.
Shawn17
6/12/08 11:56:50PM
Leites 10-9
draw 9-9
marquart 10-9

should have been a draw. refs in england are crazy.
Twenty20Dollars
6/13/08 12:41:31AM
ok ok ok. Im going to clear up this whole thing. Nate got dropped by Thales and then Nate dominated the rest of the fight. First off the illegal knee, that wasnt on purpose, that wasnt dirty fighting. It was merely nate acting on instinct because im sure he didnt know thales knee was on the ground, and why would he knee thales to try and knock him out if he knew thales had a knee on the ground, which could result in nate losing the fight via DQ. Hmmm
Knees like that happen more than you think and they are not on purpose, it could be because the other fighter can see that his opponent has a knee on the ground from their angle. they wouldnt do it on purpose knowing they could get DQ'ed, its like with up kicks.

Second the shot to the back of the head was not an illegal blow, he may have hit in the back of the head on accident a few times, but the time it was stopped that wasnt to the back of the head. The piledriver may have been illegal, but the fight wasnt stopped because of it. dont know what to say about that.

but this is just like the vera/werdum fight. werdum doesnt want to rematch because he could be in line for a title just like thales. only in this instance nate dominated most of the fight and should have won the fight and in a rematch nate would dominate thales again. Check nates previous fights and see if he is a dirty fighter. Nate's not a dirty fighter.
MMAcca
6/13/08 12:49:01AM

Posted by Shawn17

Leites 10-9
draw 9-9
marquart 10-9

should have been a draw. refs in england are crazy.

They were the usual refs
tberg420
6/16/08 12:10:26PM
If Leites is next in line for a title shot then I would really lose respect for Joe Silva and his fight match ups. Not that the Middleweight Division is stacked by any means but wins over Pete Sell, Floyd Sword (Who?), and Ryan Jensen along with a pretty shady win over Marquardt doesn't appear to me to be an automatic title shot. Martin Kampmann would still be more deserving in my opinion.