UFC Quick Quote: 'Stefan Struve really needs to think about retiring'

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Quick Quote: 'Stefan Struve really needs to think about retiring'
SmileR
3/12/13 4:19:45PM
UFC Heavyweight Stefan Struve hasn't even hit his prime and it may already be time to hang up his gloves for good. Outspoken fight physician Dr. Johnny Benjamin explains why.

"Many people think, and Stefan will probably think, 'The doctor said I'm good to go, so I'll get right back in the gym and go at it,' but, even though we're great at healing bones, it's not so easy to heal the brain. How many times has he been knocked out? I know he's a young man, but he's been knocked out more than a few times. At some point, someone really needs to ask the question, should he still be fighting? That many concussions, so quickly, and at this young age ... a person has two types of age, chronological and physiologic age. Stefan's license may say he's 25, but in physiologic years, he's much, much older than that, with all the concussive force that he's sustained. I'm sure nobody will like to hear this, but Stefan Struve really needs to think about retiring. If it's not him that will make that decision, then Dana White needs to start talking to him about retiring. The question out there is how many sustained concussions is too many, and according to the latest literature that's coming out, the answer is starting to look like it's somewhere between two and three. That's where you start having permanent changes. Knowing that data, Stefan is definitely beyond that number, and someone really needs to initiate serious discussion with either him or his promoter that he probably needs to do something else for a living."

Link
infestructure
3/12/13 4:57:19PM
Basketball, anyone?
Bubbles
3/12/13 5:12:56PM
maybe I'm getting doctors mixed up but isn't this the same guy who's said a bunch of stupid shit over the years and only has credence because he has a "Dr" in front of his name?

Where is Dr Benjamin on Sidney Crosby or Michael Vick?
jay98107
3/12/13 5:47:03PM

Posted by Bubbles

maybe I'm getting doctors mixed up but isn't this the same guy who's said a bunch of stupid shit over the years and only has credence because he has a "Dr" in front of his name?

Where is Dr Benjamin on Sidney Crosby or Michael Vick?

Call me biased, but I can't trust any "doctor" named Johnny. Six-year-olds go by the name Johnny. You're a licensed professional, become John or Johnathan, hell even Jack.
machodog76
3/12/13 6:05:23PM
So most of the NFL should have retired in College then.
bojangalz
3/12/13 6:24:23PM
Same dope who argued that woman's MMA should be three minute rounds because they have a higher chance of getting injured.

This guy is an attention whoring joke. I don't place any credence in anything he says.

SmileR
3/12/13 6:31:06PM

Posted by bojangalz

Same dope who argued that woman's MMA should be three minute rounds because they have a higher chance of getting injured.

This guy is an attention whoring joke. I don't place any credence in anything he says.

I'm with you 100% on that. I posted this an then wrote a long reply but after reading it back I decided I might get banned. But what he presents as facts are twisted an bias.
Hes a joke and is whoring his "dr" status for views.
Chael_Sonnen
3/12/13 7:03:55PM
Hands up, chin down Stef
jay98107
3/12/13 7:28:32PM
Admittedly, Struve has been hit a lot, more than most, but at the end of the day he still only has 5 KO losses. Where are all the doctor's clamoring for Frank Mir's retirement? Or Wanderlei Silvas?
pmoney
3/12/13 8:00:34PM

Posted by jay98107

Admittedly, Struve has been hit a lot, more than most, but at the end of the day he still only has 5 KO losses. Where are all the doctor's clamoring for Frank Mir's retirement? Or Wanderlei Silvas?

Only 5? I've never been knocked unconscious in my life, so to me getting ko'ed five times seems like a huge number. Not to mention fights like the one he had with Paul Buentello. I don't know how he got that decision. He got the shot beat out of him and had four teeth knocked out of his mouth. No way he got through that one unconcussed. (well actually, they had to pry the teeth out of his mouthguard between rounds)

I may not like ol' Johnny Benjamin, but I think he may have a legit point here.
FlashyG
3/12/13 8:06:39PM
This is the same "Dr" who claimed that the sport of MMA appeals to White males because we like to watch White males beat up racial minority's.

Remember this thread
Coolhand37
3/12/13 10:01:06PM
Don't think he should quit, He should keep going if he wants to. I think for his tallness he is way too skinny, he needs to come in at 280 or 285 after he cuts and his chin would be better through selective exercises he could put that weight on his jaw muscles, back strapp, and shoulders, he should do that or fight superheavy, in his skinny frail state he will always be suseptable to ko's by guys like mark hunt .....who throw overhand rights like a load of bricks. he has been ko'd by nelson, hunt, dos santos, and browne, all four of these guys are frigging killer ko artists so he shouldn't feel bad at all. he is a top level MMA ufc fighter just not championship caliber yet, but he is still a force. He should keep fighting I love the guy!!! By the way I was banned from making comments by a frigging pussy lol!! but I'm back and with a new and awesome car!! Yeah!!
Travesty145
3/12/13 10:09:51PM
hes got ko losses but how many times has he gone completely stiffened up? like twice? mark hunt didnt stiffen him up he just clocked him and dropped him like he got shot and he was definitely out of it but he wasnt unconscious
Boo_Radley21
3/12/13 11:50:32PM
I don't know it's just one doctor I think maybe we need a more varied range of opinions.

Somebody call Phil and Drew (if teen mom doesnt need him for a special)
Boo_Radley21
3/12/13 11:51:26PM

Posted by Travesty145

hes got ko losses but how many times has he gone completely stiffened up? like twice? mark hunt didnt stiffen him up he just clocked him and dropped him like he got shot and he was definitely out of it but he wasnt unconscious

The further i got into your post the more i liked it and the more i wanted to give you props
bjj1605
3/13/13 3:33:52PM
Regardless of the doc's credentials....

Dude has taken a lot of damage. I don't know about retirement, but a nice long break from fighting and sparring might be good.

Recent studies have actually shown that taking long breaks can reverse the effects of pugilistic dementia. But you need to do it before its too late.

Struve could take a year off and just train technique and grappling. Get in great shape. Get your technique perfect. Let your brain heal.

Come back and you'll be a better fighter.