Quick Quote: Silva's Boxing Needs Work

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Quick Quote: Silva's Boxing Needs Work
DCRage
12/8/08 12:26:37PM
So says famed boxing trainer Freddie Roach about Anderson Silva. Roach referred to Silva's early boxing work at the Wild Card Gym in comments made before the De La Hoya-Pacquiao boxing megafight this past Saturday.

Article
June
12/8/08 12:43:34PM
I don't think Anderson should pursue this fight with Roy Jones Jr. I think Silva would kill him in a "fight", but in a "boxing" match, I don't see him doing very well.
Sledge23
12/8/08 12:46:17PM
i hate to see anderson go away from the MMA world.
Wolfenstein
12/8/08 12:53:00PM
If Silva really wants to challenge himself in another sport, then why not take up K1 instead of boxing? It's probably a better sport for him to test all of his standup skills, against the very best standup fighters in the world.

I would be more impressed if he were to put on a good show against Peter Aerts, Badr Hari, or even Melvin Manhoaf, rather than fighting a boxer on the decline like Roy Jones.
Jackelope
12/8/08 1:00:02PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

If Silva really wants to challenge himself in another sport, then why not take up K1 instead of boxing? It's probably a better sport for him to test all of his standup skills, against the very best standup fighters in the world.

I would be more impressed if he were to put on a good show against Peter Aerts, Badr Hari, or even Melvin Manhoaf, rather than fighting a boxer on the decline like Roy Jones.

Damn it, bro. You beat me to it.

Anyway, of course Silva's boxing needs work. It won't be up to a trainer like Freddie Roach's standards in the next couple of years even. I think most people get it, but I guess there are still a few out there that don't realize boxing and MMA are COMPLETELY different
wiggum
12/8/08 1:22:39PM
he's right , his boxing is sloppy, i watched the 2004 boxing fight on the net...he ended up tko'ing the guy, but i was extremely unimpressed for someone that wants to fight jones jr....he was sloppys, his combos were not put well together at all, in a boxing sense....its just a different game and scenario......i like the k-1 ideas....but even there i think he would have trouble even with a average k1 fighter....silvas striking works for him in the mma world perfectly, but outside of that world is a different story
EliasG
1/8/09 12:14:42AM
Oh Badr Hari v. Silva would be good.

Manhouf v. Silva is interesting except Silva has reach.