UFC Quick Quote: Rory MacDonald will gladly fight Jon Fitch but really wants Carlos Condit rematch

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Quick Quote: Rory MacDonald will gladly fight Jon Fitch but really wants Carlos Condit rematch
Next Page »
Budgellism
8/10/11 6:15:02AM
"I'll fight anyone. A lot of people don't want to fight Jon Fitch, but I'll gladly fight him (or) anybody. I'd really like to rematch Carlos Condit, though. [I'd take that fight] 100-percent. I feel like I can beat anyone, that's my confidence. But I know I'm a young guy, I know I have to stay grounded and improve. There's still so much to learn, I'm still very young, I still have so much time to evolve."

- Rory MacDonald

EDIT:LINK
SmileR
8/10/11 7:01:40AM
Fitch is maybe a bit to much to bite off right now, Rory is still young as hell an has all the time in the world to climb to the top of the WW devision. I think a fight with a guy like Alves or maybe Rumble would see how he can deal with guys who would have a big weight advantage before throwing him in with Fitch who would have a size advantage but the skill set to give him big problems.

I doubt he'll get the Condit rematch just because Condit is being built up as the next contender for GSP to smash down.
VILLIN
8/10/11 7:54:16AM
Yeah Fitch is too much too soon and Condit is locked into his own path.

I'd like to see Rory step in with Stun Gun next or Ellenberger if Shields gets injured.
Budgellism
8/10/11 8:41:40AM
If Alves wins his next fight he should definitely fight MacDonald.

EDIT: Didn't realize he's not fighting until ufc 138 and MacDonald should definitely fight around that time. He should fight the Shields/Ellenburger winner then.
emfleek
8/10/11 8:49:29AM
Koscheck doesn't have anything booked yet.

MacDonald vs. Kos is fine with me.
Bubbles
8/10/11 9:23:21AM

Posted by emfleek

and they can put this on the Toronto card: UFC 140
Budgellism
8/10/11 9:24:56AM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by emfleek

and they can put this on the Toronto card: UFC 140

Good call. I'd be excited to see this fight on the Toronto card.
Bubbles
8/10/11 9:38:34AM

Posted by Budgellism

Good call. I'd be excited to see this fight on the Toronto card.

it makes sense for them to put Rory on this card...they need to stack it with Canadian talent. with GSP not on the card they have to put on other Canadian stars. Rory, J-Mac, Hominick, Makdessi and hopefully Soszinsky will be on it. hopefully Cote gets an invite back too.
Budgellism
8/10/11 10:11:23AM
I wanna see Hominick vs. Jung on that card. And a lightweight title fight between The winner of Edgar/Maynard vs. Jim Miller would be pretty awesome as well!
Twenty20Dollars
8/10/11 1:45:51PM
I'd take Rory over Fitch.
emfleek
8/10/11 2:32:28PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I'd take Rory over Fitch.

...and that would be an 0-1 on your record.

icantthinkofanything
8/10/11 4:19:12PM
A rematch vs Condit is good, but Condit could be the number 1 contender, and has no reason to agree to a rematch with someone he finished, even though he was losing and the fight ended a few seconds from the bell.

I wanna see him fight Koscheck. If he loses he will hopefully improve tdd, and having a dangerous guard ...but will him and GSP really agree to fight when and if Rory beats a top 5 ww and its time to sign the dotted line?
machodog76
8/10/11 4:55:24PM
I'd like to see him and Story fight, i know it doesn't make a lot of sense as far as building them up, and Story has Dong on his plate but it would be a good fight.
Cooler
8/10/11 5:10:59PM
Fitch has to man up and fight contenders instead of calling them unworthy... i mean rory would demolish Fitch within 3 rounds imo. I'd go as far to say Rory vs GSP will happen in 2012. It's no wonder Fitch only wants BJ or GSP, he wants his next loss to be against a P4P fighter and not a contender, personally i dont think anyone should be able to say no to fights if they are uninjured or lost theyre last fight (yes, bj beat fitch).
pmoney
8/10/11 5:55:34PM

Posted by Cooler

Fitch has to man up and fight contenders instead of calling them unworthy... i mean rory would demolish Fitch within 3 rounds imo. I'd go as far to say Rory vs GSP will happen in 2012. It's no wonder Fitch only wants BJ or GSP, he wants his next loss to be against a P4P fighter and not a contender, personally i dont think anyone should be able to say no to fights if they are uninjured or lost theyre last fight (yes, bj beat fitch).

I would be inclined to agree that Rory could probably destroy Fitch, even if that were the next fight for Rory. But BJ beat Fitch?? Those first two rounds were very closely contested in my opinion, and round three the only question was if it was 10-9 or 10-8 for Fitch.
emfleek
8/10/11 6:06:12PM

Posted by Cooler

(yes, bj beat fitch).

Actually, no he didn't, Cecil Peoples.

And why should MacDonald even get a crack at Fitch? He's on a 2 fight winning streak for crying out loud. At some point they should fight but Dr. Marvin said it best...

DosBox
8/10/11 6:34:53PM
Would like to see Rory against a wrestler, but maybe the UFC might shy away from setting up a prospect vs prospect by matching him with Johnny Hendricks, but I do like that fight. Or Charlie Brennamen, just somebody to test his wrestling/guard game.
Aether
8/10/11 7:02:58PM
I think that MacDonald is a beast with a ton of potential but I also think that the people saying he would destroy Fitch are way overestimating how developed he is at this point in his career.

If Mike Pyle could get on top of him, I would bet that Fitch could do the same, and I would also bet that Fitch would make it a whole hell of a lot harder than Pyle did to get back up to his feet. Rory has a ridiculous amount of potential, but I think it is just that - potential. He needs more fights and experience before he's going to be ready to deal with someone like Fitch IMO.

I like the idea of him fighting the winner of Ellenberger / Shields. Those are guys who are a step up in competition, will put him on the path to title contention, but not send him straight into fighting the top 3 of the division without giving him time to develop.
prozacnation1978
8/10/11 8:22:11PM
I think rory will get story or hendricks next
BustedKnuckle
8/10/11 8:23:52PM
THe kid has balls for sure. He is very talented. I hope the UFC brings him along slowly though. Maybe a fight with Brenneman or KOS.
Pookie
8/11/11 12:23:24AM
I'd pick Macdonald over Fitch. Fitch has one route to victory, and when you can stop the takedowns(which i think Macdonald has a solid chance to do) you can Mike Pierce or Chris Wilson him.

IMO, Rumble Johnson and BJ Penn would be 2 of the hardest matches for Macdonald. I think his chin is going to consistently be the weakest attribute of his game, throughout his entire career.
bjj1605
8/11/11 1:07:45AM

Posted by Pookie

I'd pick Macdonald over Fitch. Fitch has one route to victory, and when you can stop the takedowns(which i think Macdonald has a solid chance to do) you can Mike Pierce or Chris Wilson him.

IMO, Rumble Johnson and BJ Penn would be 2 of the hardest matches for Macdonald. I think his chin is going to consistently be the weakest attribute of his game, throughout his entire career.

Seems to be a Canadian thing. Not trying to insult anyone or get anyone riled up, but doesn't it seem like a lot of Canadian fighters have chin issues?

Posted by Aether

I think that MacDonald is a beast with a ton of potential but I also think that the people saying he would destroy Fitch are way overestimating how developed he is at this point in his career.

If Mike Pyle could get on top of him, I would bet that Fitch could do the same, and I would also bet that Fitch would make it a whole hell of a lot harder than Pyle did to get back up to his feet. Rory has a ridiculous amount of potential, but I think it is just that - potential. He needs more fights and experience before he's going to be ready to deal with someone like Fitch IMO.

I like the idea of him fighting the winner of Ellenberger / Shields. Those are guys who are a step up in competition, will put him on the path to title contention, but not send him straight into fighting the top 3 of the division without giving him time to develop.

Perfect post. People are riding the MacDonald hype train all the way to crazy town.

He's got tons and tons of potential. But he's very green. Unfortunately, I think he might have been listening to Joe Rogan talk about him. Buying into your own hype is a sure fire way to derail your trip to the top (figured I'd stick with train metaphors.)
Pookie
8/11/11 1:11:55AM
Jonathon Goulet would beg to differ.
tn_rebel
8/11/11 2:51:19AM

Posted by Cooler

What fight were you watchin? Fitch dominated RD 2 and 3. If I ever seen a garbage decision it was that one, but BJ is the Prodigy and everyone likes to hate on Fitch for fighting like everyone's hero (GSP). Truth is GSP is the only one I see beating Fitch at WW.
BigBadAl
8/11/11 6:28:51AM

Posted by BustedKnuckle

THe kid has balls for sure. He is very talented. I hope the UFC brings him along slowly though. Maybe a fight with Brenneman or KOS.

Bring him along slowly by giving him KOS
Cooler
8/11/11 10:30:04AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Cooler

(yes, bj beat fitch).

Rd 1: BJ
Rd 2: BJ
Rd 3: Fitch

pretty simple really, how can you give fitch round 2 for a takedown over bj getting his back and bj winning the striking, thats ridiculous, takedowns are overrated
Kpro
8/11/11 10:38:20AM

Posted by Cooler

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Cooler

(yes, bj beat fitch).

Rd 1: BJ
Rd 2: BJ
Rd 3: Fitch

pretty simple really, how can you give fitch round 2 for a takedown over bj getting his back and bj winning the striking, thats ridiculous, takedowns are overrated

I'm pretty sure he means because it was a draw since round 3 was a clear 10-8.
icantthinkofanything
8/11/11 11:13:14AM
Bj won the Fitch fight, and is the only one to stop Fitch's winning streak besides GSP by getting a draw.

The fight was close, but BJ got takedowns and shut down Fitch in the 1st and second

I wanna see Rory vs Kos because Kos can ko people and take them down.
my 1st choice is
1.Kos
2. Shields Ellenberger winner
3. Diego vs Matt winner
4.Fitch
5.Hendricks

Either way Rory should get some more fights, but I dont want him to beat everyone and than lose to Fitch in 2 years, as a result of never being grinded out by a "dominant Wrestler"
Rory has more hype than Story, and could grow from a loss and still be considered contender material once he improves from a loss.
Bubbles
8/11/11 12:58:25PM

Posted by Cooler

(yes, bj beat fitch).

hahaha not at all. the draw was a gift. Fitch won
Bubbles
8/11/11 1:04:50PM

Posted by BigBadAl

Posted by BustedKnuckle

Bring him along slowly by giving him KOS

it briefly worked for Paulo Thiago
Pages: [1] 2