UFC Quick Quote: Rich Franklin didn’t want to be a middleweight gatekeeper

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Quick Quote: Rich Franklin didn’t want to be a middleweight gatekeeper
SmileR
9/4/08 10:46:28AM
“I was talking to the UFC after the second [Anderson] Silva loss and they encouraged me to move up to 205. They told me my position there would be more appealing to them from a business perspective. They weren’t interested in a third match between me and Silva and they didn’t want me fighting contenders because I could eliminate possible title fights, so I was stuck in that I was going to be fighting people on the back end of their losses to Silva and I didn’t care for that gatekeeper position. After the Travis Lutter fight, I said I would try my hand at 205 again.”

– Former middleweight champion Rich Franklin reveals to the Baltimore Sun his reasons for moving back up to the light heavyweight division for his upcoming fight against Matt Hamill at UFC 88: “Breakthrough” at the Philips Arena in Atlanta, Ga., on September 6. “Ace” was soundly defeated twice by UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva, which essentially meant that he’d be relegated to fighting — and possibly knocking off — new contenders.

Link

(If you have the time click the Baltimore Sun interview. Its longer but a good read)
DiabloFreak56
9/4/08 11:21:41AM
i dont blame him imo i think an exciting fight would be forrest vs rich. but rich would have to do alot to have that happen
Darnok
9/4/08 11:28:31AM

Posted by SmileR

(If you have the time click the Baltimore Sun interview. Its longer but a good read)

You are correct it was a good read. Why didn't you link to that instead of the one quote.
Gipper
9/4/08 12:10:45PM
i think franklin will be able to beat some top guys at 205 although hammill could be his biggest problem considering he's the biggest strongest and maybe the best wrestler at 205. franklin will get taken down in this fight it's a question of how long will he stay down? because we know franklin will pick hammill apart standing and has some serious ko power with his left hand. this is a tough fight to call.
ThePlague
9/4/08 12:42:06PM
It just sucks that he's not going to be in the same weight class with Hendo. That was the fight I really wanted to see when the UFC signed HEndo and he even said he'd love to fight Franklin.
nickcuc547
9/4/08 1:08:01PM
gained a lot more respect for franklin after watching the countdown last night. the guy wants to challenge himself and he is tough enough to compete at 205. i'd love to see him pull off a couple of big wins. franklin vs. wandy would be a war.
Pyrenus
9/4/08 1:08:37PM
Hendo prefers 205 so it might still happen.
Wolfenstein
9/4/08 4:13:59PM
It sucks being #2 but that's the way it is. Unfortunately at 205 he'llbe lucky to be #5. I won't sell Franklin short, but he's going to have a tough time distancing himself from the stacked LHW division.
SmileR
9/4/08 6:33:34PM

Posted by Darnok

Posted by SmileR

You are correct it was a good read. Why didn't you link to that instead of the one quote.

To be honest most people don't even click on the link.
I'v clicked back on the threads I'v posted in the past and their are full blows arguments over things that could have been resolved by simply reading the rest of the interview. I just thought I'd put it in there for people such as yourself who actually read the interviews and the short link for for the quick quote for people who.. well, for people who don't
bls1919
9/4/08 10:25:25PM
It's a god move for Rich. He can run away from Silva and fight other contenders and maybe get a shot at a title. OK that might be a harsh staement but i am a huge Anderson Silva fan. Actually he will have better luck against those guys at 205. The weight cut won;t hurt him as much and he has fought there before so its not new ground for him. Rich vs Wandy for the title in early 9 would be a great match-up. mayber my new dream match up!!!???!!!
Aether
9/4/08 11:26:28PM

Posted by SmileR

Posted by Darnok

Posted by SmileR

I'v clicked back on the threads I'v posted in the past and their are full blows arguments over things that could have been resolved by simply reading the rest of the interview. I just thought I'd put it in there for people such as yourself who actually read the interviews and the short link for for the quick quote for people who.. well, for people who don't

Yeah, it's obvious from the discussions that go on in the news threads that there are a lot of people who just read the headline and jump into the conversation.
nastshabast
9/4/08 11:50:23PM

Posted by Aether

Posted by SmileR

Posted by Darnok

Posted by SmileR

Yeah, it's obvious from the discussions that go on in the news threads that there are a lot of people who just read the headline and jump into the conversation.

or just comment on the last thing someone posts

anyway, i'm taking Hammil. Not sure if he can ko him on the ground but most likely decision. Should be a dandy.

EDIT nothin but love for Franklin though. He's a beast too.
telnights
9/5/08 12:37:12AM
Yeah I don't think he would be a good gate keeper. He is a great fighter but being a gate keeper would mean there's him and then there's Anderson. A Gate keep is more someone who cant beat the top level guys but can beat the lower level guys. Well Rich has beaten almost everyone but Anderson. To me the MW gate keeper right now is Leben. I kind of agree with the UFC on this Rich could be a problem at MW because he beats everyone that could fight Anderson. So now they have no one to fight Anderson.
breakdown5
9/5/08 1:02:58AM
I think it's a smart move. He can't keep knocking off contenders or cleaning up after Silva dismantles someone. He's a natural MW, but he's a talented fighter and I think that he can pose a problem for some fighters at LHW. Hopefully Hendo moves up after he realizes that no one is stopping Anderson at MW, so we get to see Hendo/Franklin eventually.
Red-Dragon
9/5/08 8:37:27AM
Problem is he will lose to Hamill
Darnok
9/5/08 12:13:45PM

Posted by SmileR

Posted by Darnok

Posted by SmileR

Yes I agree most people do not read the articles at all. I guess I come from the old school where I have to know the whole story before I comment on it.