UFC Quick Quote: Jon Jones wanted to fight at heavyweight in 2012, Dana White said no

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC Quick Quote: Jon Jones wanted to fight at heavyweight in 2012, Dana White said no
Budgellism
1/31/12 12:39:12AM
"I think you know, i figured beating Henderson and Rashad, there would be a period of trying to figure out who I would fight next, and during that period, at the end of 2012, I requested to fight a top 10 heavyweight just for the fans. But Dana and Lorenzo did not think that was the best thing for me to do right now, they wanted me to continue in the light heavyweight division.

- Jon Jones

LINK
Twenty20Dollars
1/31/12 12:42:19AM
No suprise there that Uncla Dana would say no.
Lesnar1
1/31/12 1:09:42AM
It's still pretty cool to know for a fact that 1 day when Jones cleans up the LHW division, he will fight at HW. So many awesome matchups for him there, Jones v Overeem, Jones v Mir, Jones v Velasquez etc.
pmoney
1/31/12 1:47:41AM
Jones won't be fighting anybody if he gets his ass knocked out by Evans.

Not that I will be betting on anyone to beat Jones soon. But this dude needs to stop thinking three fights ahead and focus on fighting Suga.

That and he needs to work on his camera presence. Anyone notice him reading his script while doing the commentary this past weekend? He's so fake he can't even have a real conversation!

Stick to commercials, Jonny!
DeadHead988
1/31/12 1:54:26AM
Jon Jones might be the best LHW of all time, but I don't seem him doing well at HW at all. Just imagine him against Overeem for example.
papercut
1/31/12 2:18:46AM

Posted by DeadHead988

Just imagine him against Overeem for example.

Poor_Franklin
1/31/12 3:26:01AM
when his body matures & he gets naturally thicker, he will be a great HW. not right now though.

& if he does, i hope they don't throw him to wolves & build him up some.

aussiemma
1/31/12 8:24:36AM
cant wait for the day when jones goes to hw. dont think hes ready for it yet, maybe a few more title defences and then give him a gatekeeper guy at hw, maybe carwin or mir would be really interesting.

can you imagine him at hw though... i think if he put a bit of muscle he could come in at 240-250. ive already heard that he trains at 235 sometimes so it shouldnt be a problem.
emfleek
1/31/12 8:38:09AM

Posted by Budgellism

"I think you know, i figured beating Henderson and Rashad, there would be a period of trying to figure out who I would fight next, and during that period, at the end of 2012, I requested to fight a top 10 heavyweight just for the fans. But Dana and Lorenzo did not think that was the best thing for me to do right now, they wanted me to continue in the light heavyweight division.

- Jon Jones

LINK

Looking 3 fights ahead? C'mon now.

I hope either Rashad or Hendo knocks this kid off his own rocketship.

gartface
1/31/12 8:53:16AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Budgellism

- Jon Jones

LINK

I feel the same way, man. The more and more I hear him talk, the less I like him. When he was first getting started in the UFC, I found him humble, and defended him against people saying he was arrogant. Now I see exactly where they come from. Dude is disrespectful to say the least.

With that said, I think that Dana and Lorenzo did the right thing. They want to build his legacy and he only has so much more time left before his body fills out and he can't make 205 anymore. They have to do all they can with that.
ncordless
1/31/12 1:00:33PM
He will be at HW in 2013, and he will be more dominant there than he is at LHW.
ghandikush
1/31/12 2:47:20PM

Posted by ncordless

He will be at HW in 2013, and he will be more dominant there than he is at LHW.

Like Roy Jones moving up to light heavy, he'll carry 20 extra pounds just as quickly, and in Jon Jones case he'll finaly have renewable cardio.
warglory
1/31/12 3:43:18PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Budgellism

- Jon Jones

LINK

I was thinking the same exact thing. The arrogance is astounding.
Wallass
1/31/12 4:40:01PM
Honestly Im not even a Jon Jones fan but the hatred this guy gets is really sad. People deconstruct everything he does and for a 24 year old with fame and money he's actually carrying himself quite well in my opinion.
Bubbles
1/31/12 10:14:23PM
i never was a fan of him, and ever since he won the title, I like him even less. im hoping for someone to knock him out soon
DeadHead988
1/31/12 11:06:40PM

Posted by Wallass

Honestly Im not even a Jon Jones fan but the hatred this guy gets is really sad. People deconstruct everything he does and for a 24 year old with fame and money he's actually carrying himself quite well in my opinion.

Pookie
2/1/12 5:38:44PM
BJ Penn didn't take no for an answer.

C'mon Jones. Do it. Ruin your legacy, and build your Legend.
bjj1605
2/1/12 9:12:18PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Budgellism

- Jon Jones

LINK

Agreed.

This kid is the epitome of cocky.