Quick Quote: Forrest Wants "Nothing To Do" With Machida

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Quick Quote: Forrest Wants "Nothing To Do" With Machida
DCRage
7/2/08 8:02:08AM
Add Forrest Griffin to the list of those who don't want to face Ryoto (Lyoto) Machida in UFC. Griffin said he wants "nothing to do with that guy. Not at all."

Article
emfleek
7/2/08 8:40:37AM
Did I read that correctly? Is he seriously saying that he would consider fighting Bonnar again before he'd fight Machida?

I'm hoping I just need to drink some coffee because that doesn't seem right to me.
DCRage
7/2/08 8:59:46AM
Yeah, that's about what he said. Seems nobody wants to fight Machida these days. But he might not have a choice if he beats Rampage...quite the burden that could come with being the new champ, eh?
RMFG_187
7/2/08 9:47:32AM
Rampage doesn't want to fight him either. neither does chuck. its not that he is amazing, its just no one wants to lose a decision when even tho they tried and tried, but they don't lose energy cuz u cant hit anything but air when u fight him.

BTW, i think if u make a fighter back peddle, it should count as Octagon Control
Focker101
7/2/08 9:56:07AM

Posted by RMFG_187

Rampage doesn't want to fight him either. neither does chuck. its not that he is amazing, its just no one wants to lose a decision when even tho they tried and tried, but they don't lose energy cuz u cant hit anything but air when u fight him.

BTW, i think if u make a fighter back peddle, it should count as Octagon Control

I so agree back pedalling a whole fight should warrant octagon control the only difference between Machida's fights and Kalib vs Quarry is Machida will engage some of the time.. but there just as terrible to watch
I hope Chuck fights him or another good counter puncher who will wait him out
yeah it will probably be a boring ass fight.. I wonder if Machida could make a Wandy fight boring ???
gsquat
7/2/08 10:14:52AM
Until somebody figures out what beats Machida, this should be the mentality for everyone.
pinoymixplaya
7/2/08 10:23:48AM
The champion at a weight class is simply the title of the best, right? Well how can you be the best if you won't prove it by fighting top contenders? I think that is a crappy reason to not want to fight Machida. To me he is the best fighter at 205 in the UFC just because nobody can handle his style. This is Mixed Martial Arts the last time I checked, and Karate is a martial art that just so happens to concentrate on point scoring and not knocking someone's brain into their skull...

There is a big difference between what Kalib Starnes did in his last fight and what Machida did in his last fight. Machida completely shut down Tito Ortiz simply because Tito couldn't do anything against him. Starnes did nothing and ran away...
bootyclause
7/2/08 10:24:23AM
Forrest's sarcasm doesnt come acorss the screen but you can obviously see the tone he is saying it in. He is saying it off the cuff, not officially declaring he is ducking Machida. He has like a big title fight coming up or something he's not gonna start calling out other guys.
CantAndleDaRiddum
7/2/08 11:25:01AM

Posted by gsquat

Until somebody figures out what beats Machida, this should be the mentality for everyone.

this shouldnt be the mentality of any fighter IMO.

fighter's should be confident in their abilities & be willing to fight the best of the best....especially undefeated title contenders

i hope Chuck or Rampage fights Machida soon since no one else will
brutalbones
7/2/08 11:32:38AM
I don't blame him, or anybodyelse. Machida is tough enough to fight and usually wins a desecion. However, it's inevitable that Machida will probably have the belt by the end of the year.
tepid55
7/2/08 12:37:46PM
If Forrest wins the belt, he'll have to fight Machida.
shawneth
7/2/08 12:40:57PM
I would definitly feel the same way. Why would you want to fight a guy that is going get a win over you just because he's better at avoiding the fight then you are. Remember, Forrest didnt say he wouldn't fight Machida, he just doesnt want to.
finnish_line
7/2/08 1:51:22PM

Posted by bootyclause

Forrest's sarcasm doesnt come acorss the screen but you can obviously see the tone he is saying it in. He is saying it off the cuff, not officially declaring he is ducking Machida. He has like a big title fight coming up or something he's not gonna start calling out other guys.

That's Dave Meltzer's impression of the comment as well.
goatse
7/2/08 1:54:42PM
ill fight him
lordicast
7/2/08 3:53:56PM
Werid enough I think Wandy has a excellent chance! Machida and Wandy are my 2 fav in the division but Wandy's stalking ability is pretty damn unique ive never seen ppl get away from it. Normally they get mad and try to slug it out, and get KTFO
jimmypockets
7/2/08 8:18:46PM
I don't blame Forrest for wanting nothing to do with Machida. To me the only way he gets beat is if he somehow gets KO'd. Griffin has not shown any type of KO power and Machida is definately better on the ground. Griffin doesn't stand a chance.
rowdy1
7/2/08 8:27:03PM
i love forest hes one of my favourites and even though i aint a big machida fan machida would eat him machida= too good
RMFG_187
7/2/08 11:11:02PM

Posted by tepid55

If Forrest wins the belt, he'll have to fight Machida.

not if Chuck wins.
rowdy1
7/2/08 11:54:32PM
no doubt about it whether machida becomes next in line or has to wait a bit he's going to get it without a doubt he's a great fighter
xposipx
7/3/08 12:15:48AM
Kind of funny people are still mad about the Ortiz fight. Get over it. And learn the differences between side-stepping and evasion and backpeddling. Every time someone makes a comparison to Starnes I get more and more annoyed.
EliasG
7/3/08 12:31:40AM
I agree. Some fight fans know little to nothing about actual fighting and technique so they'll see someone like Machida with incredible footwork and boo. THey just want to see two guys stand in the middle of the ring and punch the crap out of each other. That's cool and you can watch that at a bar but what Machida does is more along the lines of a Mayweather at Lt. Heavy. His movement frustrates fighters that lack speed or have to set to throw.

This may not affect a wandy as much because he throws big punches from awkward angles. That said, Wandy will pay a price for those shots. Machida is very elusive and tricky with his strikes. He has all kinds of feints and you have to respect his kicks as much as his hands. His foot movement allows him to circle left, throw, circle right, come back left, and all just outside of range-then he takes one small step in and bang, hits the guy with a lead left. Crazy stuff man.
Figsak
7/3/08 12:22:28PM
Yep, I see it as his way to frustrate his opponents into making big mistakes. I love smart fighters.