UFC Quick Quote: Dan Henderson is pissed

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Quick Quote: Dan Henderson is pissed
Twenty20Dollars
8/22/08 12:59:03PM
linkage

“I think this is a good match up for me. I’m going to be the guy that’s a lot more dangerous on my feet and it’s somewhere he doesn’t want to be with me. So it’s going to be his task to get me into his world on the ground. I’m not the easiest guy to take down, you know—so the determining factor of the fight is who can defend takedowns, who can get their takedown and if I can knock him out coming in or whatever. [Pretty] much all Palhares has is submissions. I try to come up with a game plan not to fight right in the guy’s strengths, so obviously I’m going to be trying to stay up on my feet with him. I just see myself knocking him out. I was pretty pissed at my last performance and I’m probably going to be a little bit pissed when I go out there and fight this guy. I’m ready to do a 15-minute grappling match with him if I have to, but I’m not going to lose.”

– Former PRIDE champion Dan “Hollywood” Henderson talks to UFC.com about fighting grappling phenom Rousimar “Toquinho” Palhares at UFC 88 in Atlanta, Georgia on September 6. “Hendo” has his back against the wall after dropping his first two UFC matches (against Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 75 and Anderson Silva at UFC 82). Has time run out on the 37 year-old superstar? Or is he going to wreak havoc on the up-and-coming Palhares? We’ll know soon enough.
nickcuc547
8/22/08 1:14:50PM
hendo is going to own this guy, palhares is going to be a great fighter, but he is not where close to hendo's league right now, can't wait to see hendo back at the top of his game.
Wolfenstein
8/22/08 1:26:03PM
Nice. Hearing Dan say he's going to keep it on the feet makes me feel a little safer about my pick. As long as he doesn't get too wild on his feet he should be able to keep it standing.

If Palhares does get Dan to the ground I think he's going to be in a lot of trouble. Obviously Dan is great on the ground as well, but Palhares is so slick on the ground I think he'd eventually catch him.

It would be much like the recent bout between Jason MacDonald vs Demian Maia with Dan's corner calling out, "Damnit Dan, do not take him down!"
brooklynbadass
8/22/08 1:27:10PM

Posted by nickcuc547

hendo is going to own this guy, palhares is going to be a great fighter, but he is not where close to hendo's league right now, can't wait to see hendo back at the top of his game.

I disagree here - I see hendo going home with loss number 3 in a row...
postman
8/22/08 1:42:15PM
I have only seen that one sub by Palhares and while it was very smooth its not the most technical sub I ever saw. I think he will be good in time but to think he will beat Dan after one good proformance is really going out on a limb.
Bowen50
8/22/08 1:47:17PM
i am getting so pumped for this fight. i can't wait to see Hendo fight again. Hendo via Round 1 Vicious KO
MikeyG
8/22/08 2:26:56PM
Hendo has everything to lose in this fight, possibly his career in the UFC is at stake, Palharres is going to have to choke him unconscious. I would be pissed if I was Dan too losing both Pride belts especially to Quinton who Wand owned twice, Dan had to work hard for those belts and in 2 fights hes already back to the drawing board and possibly out the door. I'm 95% sure Dan is going to win, Palharres is going to have to survive the onslaught and somehow take down the stronger and more experienced Hendo and I dont think he will.
kaduey
8/22/08 2:57:22PM
Henderson is going to be even more pissed when he gets armbarred in the first round
whardin19
8/22/08 3:25:45PM

Posted by kaduey

Henderson is going to be even more pissed when he gets armbarred in the first round

I don't ever see Henderson getting armbarred or even submitted by Palhares. Henderson is a Greco Roman Wrestler so it won't be hard for him to keep it on his feet. He'll also be the bigger of the two which will help. I see Henderson beating Palhares up in the first round with strikes then taking him down in the second for a GnP victory.
CantAndleDaRiddum
8/22/08 3:26:16PM

Posted by Bowen50

i am getting so pumped for this fight. i can't wait to see Hendo fight again. Hendo via Round 1 Vicious KO

i couldnt agree more, this quote only makes me think itll be minute 2 instead of minute 4
Aether
8/22/08 3:31:12PM

Posted by MikeyG

Hendo has everything to lose in this fight, possibly his career in the UFC is at stake, Palharres is going to have to choke him unconscious. I would be pissed if I was Dan too losing both Pride belts especially to Quinton who Wand owned twice, Dan had to work hard for those belts and in 2 fights hes already back to the drawing board and possibly out the door. I'm 95% sure Dan is going to win, Palharres is going to have to survive the onslaught and somehow take down the stronger and more experienced Hendo and I dont think he will.

Why do people keep saying this? The dude is still ranked top10 in TWO DIVISIONS. He's pretty much unanimously ranked top3 at middleweight. He lost in two title fights and people are acting like his career is over. He did better against Silva than just about anyone has and is still considered to be one of the only people with a reasonable chance to beat him.

How is his career at stake? How is he almost out the door? This guy is going to have to lose like 3 more fights IN A ROW before his career is even close to over. You don't just lose a title fight (the only fights he has lost are title fights) and get instantaneously shit-canned as one of the greatest fighters p4p and in 2 divisions respectively. Even if he lost this fight and another at middleweight, he would still most likely be given the chance to fight at LHW.

No chance is Hendo's career anywhere remotely close to being done. Anyone who thinks otherwise is crazy. It's like saying Franklin's career is done because he lost to Silva twice. Who cares if they were back to back, it's about quality of opponent.
Wolfenstein
8/22/08 3:39:53PM

Posted by Aether

Posted by MikeyG

Why do people keep saying this? The dude is still ranked top10 in TWO DIVISIONS. He's pretty much unanimously ranked top3 at middleweight. He lost in two title fights and people are acting like his career is over. He did better against Silva than just about anyone has and is still considered to be one of the only people with a reasonable chance to beat him.

How is his career at stake? How is he almost out the door? This guy is going to have to lose like 3 more fights IN A ROW before his career is even close to over. You don't just lose a title fight (the only fights he has lost are title fights) and get instantaneously shit-canned as one of the greatest fighters p4p and in 2 divisions respectively. Even if he lost this fight and another at middleweight, he would still most likely be given the chance to fight at LHW.

No chance is Hendo's career anywhere remotely close to being done. Anyone who thinks otherwise is crazy. It's like saying Franklin's career is done because he lost to Silva twice. Who cares if they were back to back, it's about quality of opponent.

I agree no way will Dan's career be done, but I can see why some people might think so. He's lost two in a row and three of his last five. He will also be 38 this month. If he loses to Palhares that will be three losses in a row in the UFC (granted against top competition). If he loses it won't be the end, but it will be an indication that he is probably on the decline at this point in his career.
Bowen50
8/22/08 3:50:22PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Posted by Bowen50

i couldnt agree more, this quote only makes me think itll be minute 2 instead of minute 4

i don't know man. judging by Hendo's intensity right now i wouldn't be surprised if this ended up the way Wanderlei Vs. Jardine did. Henderson is going to come out very motivated for this. all i know is i'm going to be sitting in my living room with a bunch of friends, wearing my Hendo shirt, waiting for the KO to happen and when it does i'll be surprised if the foundation of the house doesn't cave in.
casey64
8/22/08 4:33:15PM
Hendo has this match in the bag, plain and simple.
LionHeartWarchild
8/22/08 4:38:22PM
I agree with Hendo's take on the fight. If he can use his wrestling to keep it standing, we'll see Palhares get knocked out but if he fails and it goes to the ground, he may very well get submitted. I'm expecting it to be a good fight either way.
MikeyG
8/22/08 5:46:16PM

Posted by Aether

Posted by MikeyG

Chill out jeezes christ, read closer, I said "POSSIBLY (key word) his career in the UFC is at stake" not his MMA career, big difference, maybe pay attention next time.
Aether
8/22/08 6:55:58PM
No it's not different since in saying the word "career" I was reiterating the meaning that you yourself used (the purpose of the quotation marks is to carry meaning directly). Meaning that in saying career I was referring to the same thing as you were - his UFC career.

As far as "chilling out", at no point was I upset, angry, or insulting in my post. I'm simply arguing that I disagree with the great multitude of people who say he "has his back to the wall" or "is in danger of losing his career (in the UFC)". Take offense if you want to, the entire point of a forum board is for people to discuss and as a result disagree about things. If you're going to get your feelings hurt every time someone makes a counter-argument you're going to have a rough time on an MMA forum board. There's about a billion more inflammatory posts than that one around here.
MikeyG
8/22/08 7:06:11PM

Posted by Aether

No it's not different since in saying the word "career" I was reiterating the meaning that you yourself used (the purpose of the quotation marks is to carry meaning directly). Meaning that in saying career I was referring to the same thing as you were - his UFC career.

As far as "chilling out", at no point was I upset, angry, or insulting in my post. I'm simply arguing that I disagree with the great multitude of people who say he "has his back to the wall" or "is in danger of losing his career (in the UFC)". Take offense if you want to, the entire point of a forum board is for people to discuss and as a result disagree about things. If you're going to get your feelings hurt every time someone makes a counter-argument you're going to have a rough time on an MMA forum board. There's about a billion more inflammatory posts than that one around here.

Yeah, hes possibly looking at a fork in his career as to wheather he wants to be in the UFC or if Zuffa wants him which they probably will even if he loses, my argument was his UFC career, and it is in fact not the same difference as his MMA career, seeing as he only has 4 UFC fights and 25 elsewhere, I'd say thats definatly a big difference wouldnt you.... As far as you calling my post inflammatory, lol you might as well say "I'm right your wrong" all hail Aether and his knowledge on what will become of Hendo's career if he loses, and hey its not like this stupid argument has any meaning, hes gonna win so who cares.

So yeah take a deep breath and chill before you write 3 paragraphs on how you think your right and I'm wrong, now thats imflammatory. Looks like your the one with the issue. I guess my feelings are hurt because your just so damn right, I'm crying right now bro, why cant I be as cool as Aether and his deep Hendo knowledge?
Aether
8/22/08 7:20:44PM
You completely misunderstood everything I wrote. I didn't call your post inflammatory, I said that my post was NOT inflammatory. I also didn't say there's no difference between his UFC and MMA career, I said that there was no difference between my usage of the word career and yours. We were both referring to his UFC career, you simply mistook me as referring to something else.

yeah... I'm definitely the one that needs to chill out. Why would you come to a forum and then get angry when someone starts a civilized debate?

Aether
8/22/08 7:25:26PM
I could understand if I were being an asshole toward you, calling you stupid or something like that, but look over my initial post and really try to find the part where I am rude and/or out of line. It's just a simple debate man, that's what a forum is for.

You should calm down a bit.

MikeyG
8/22/08 7:29:09PM
Civilized? thats civilized to write a 3 paragraph bashing of a post? when its just as easy and effective to write in one sentence... lol we can agree to disagree on that one. But what do I know you must be Dan's homeboy since you know whats to become of him.
Aether
8/22/08 7:35:32PM
what does the quantity of text have to do with anything? Does a post become more rude the longer it gets by default? It isn't just as effective to write one sentence, I back opinions up with examples which takes more text but also conveys my meaning more clearly.

I'm just going to stop discussing this with you now and reiterate my point that this is a discussion forum intended specifically for people to debate, you're getting upset over nothing. No point in continuing farther.

MikeyG
8/22/08 7:46:53PM
There was no problem, I just responded to your 1st post saying to pay attention to detail instead of telling me what you think I'm saying. The problem started in your 2nd reply calling my post one of billions of inflammatory posts which is in fact bashing. You writing your long babbling about how you think your right and I'm wrong was inflammatory, get it yet? I can state a humble opinion without some wannabe know it all telling me I'm wrong when you clearly has no idea either, I can take criticism to an opinion but when somebody completely tears apart what I say with more opinions it becomes transatory to the point that its unknown what would happen if he lost, which isnt likely happening so who cares. So take it with a grain of salt I could care less, you started the argument, dont make me out to be the bad guy here.
Bowen50
8/22/08 8:00:03PM

Posted by kaduey

a lot of people are hyping up Palhares to be some kind of jiu jitsu God. he has obviously got an awesome ground game but it's nothing Hendo hasn't delt with before. go watch his fight with Little Nog. The whole fight was Hendo defending submission after submission. he eventually lost by arm bar but it took a NOGUEIRA i think 8 minutes to submit Hendo. Hendo has great submission defense. regardless Palhares is going to have to get it to the ground first before he even thinks about it... which won't happen.
prozacnation1978
8/22/08 10:50:18PM
i think hendo will come out with a vengeance and knock out palhares
i don't see hendo losing this match
GraMMA
8/23/08 7:29:14PM
Dan is in no way washed up but I think Palhares is in his prime and this will be his biggest test,that I see him passing with flying armbar.