UFC Quick Quote: Dan Hardy locks eyes with Georges St. Pierre, thunder cracks

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Quick Quote: Dan Hardy locks eyes with Georges St. Pierre, thunder cracks
SmileR
2/23/09 10:59:45AM
“There are so many good guys in my division but I managed to lock eyes with Georges St Pierre outside the cage and we had a moment where I was like — ‘I’m coming for you, I’m coming for you.’ But I know I’ve still got improvements to make. There are some guys I need to pick off on my way up to him. But whoever the UFC send me next, I’ll be ready.”

– Dan Hardy talks to The Sun about the moments after his sensational knockout win over Rory Markham at UFC 95: “Sanchez vs. Stevenson” at The O2 Arena in London, England, this past weekend. “The Outlaw” scored his second win inside the Octagon in impressive fashion and now has his long-term sights set on capturing the division title. He’ll need to put together a few more wins for that to happen, which he seems to understand. In fact, he expressed an interest in facing someone like Marcus Davis in his next fight. That sounds more like it … at least for now.

Link
gartface
2/23/09 11:40:25AM
Tenacity anyone? I like this kid a lot, and want to see big things from him.
emfleek
2/23/09 11:41:16AM

Posted by gartface

Ditto. He's on the list of fighters that I'll always root for.
kasual
2/23/09 11:55:10AM
Nice to have his eyes on the prize. A lot of fighters were calling for title shots that night, the smart ones were saying that they weren't looking past their next opponents though. This guy has lots of potential and I'm looking forward to him having a crack at a top ten ww, maybe after his next victory. Maybe against Condit if he manages to be successful in his octagon debut. With the UFC's overriding interesting in grabbing a piece of the UK mma market, they are going to put this kid into the televised portions of cards real quickly.
The_Metal_Maniac
2/23/09 12:58:54PM
I think Mr. Hardy will find his outings a little more difficult against a top contender. Markham and Gono aren't exactly anything close to the level of competition in the welter weight division.

Styles
2/23/09 3:18:56PM
I dont car weather they win or lose.... but I want to see more fighters like Hardy and Rory. I would rather see exciting fighters that put it all out on the line then to watch the boring fighters just trying to edge off a win. Like Troy and Paul Kelly. Those 2 went at it in the first round.
jiujitsufreak74
2/23/09 3:51:55PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by gartface

Ditto. He's on the list of fighters that I'll always root for.

i have to support this statement. even if he fought Davis a part of me would still root for the kid; it is just hard not to like him.
higdon10
2/23/09 4:11:00PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

it is just hard not to like him.

Its very hard to not like him. He lays it all on the line and has the attitude of a champion. Gotta love the way he fights and carries himself.
butt_whole
2/23/09 4:43:27PM
GSP is a lofty goal for one lucky punch.
emfleek
2/23/09 4:52:23PM

Posted by butt_whole

GSP is a lofty goal for one lucky punch.

Wolfenstein
2/23/09 4:53:57PM
I didn't really like his comments after the fight like, "No question power huh? What do you think about that?"

It just seemed like he was trying to rub some salt in the wound on Markham. It felt like he was gloating to me, and it really rubbed me the wrong way.

No doubt though--he's game and maybe has a lot more power than some people suspected. I do like to see some fighters from the UK start to showcase that they can compete at the UFC level. So far it's been all USA, Brazil, and Canada dominating the UFC, so it's nice to see a little diversity and possibly a 4th power player.

I hope he gets matched up with Marcus. That would be an awesome stand-up war, and has fight of the night written all over it.
sparky
2/23/09 5:26:27PM
Dan "The Outlaw" Hardy BABY......hes a nasty man!!!
prozacnation1978
2/23/09 5:28:57PM
i think three more wins and he will get it but won't be till maybe late next year and that is if gsp is still champ which i doubt
jiujitsufreak74
2/23/09 6:38:08PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I didn't really like his comments after the fight like, "No question power huh? What do you think about that?"

It just seemed like he was trying to rub some salt in the wound on Markham. It felt like he was gloating to me, and it really rubbed me the wrong way.

to each his own i guess. i personally thought it was completely justified because if someone said before a fight i have no punching power and then i KO them with my punching power i would most definitely bring it up when i won. and i didn't see it as gloating so much as him trying to set the record straight. he came off as very humble and likable in his post-fight interview imo and i wish him the best at 170.
Wolfenstein
2/23/09 7:28:08PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by Wolfenstein

to each his own i guess. i personally thought it was completely justified because if someone said before a fight i have no punching power and then i KO them with my punching power i would most definitely bring it up when i won. and i didn't see it as gloating so much as him trying to set the record straight. he came off as very humble and likable in his post-fight interview imo and i wish him the best at 170.

I agree he was justified in bringing it up, because after all Rory did talk smack about his power. I just think when your opponent is knocked out--there's no need to continue the smack talk--that's squash time. Maybe it was intended more to be, "let's set the record straight about my power" but it came off as, "In your face, what now?!"
shevtheman
2/24/09 6:48:08AM
The thing i like about Hardy is hes not afraid to admit faults in his own game and unlike a lot of other UK fighters hes not afraid to completely uproot himself to the States to better himself. Its a fact that Wrestling is not seen as a sport in the UK, we dont practice it at all and you would be very pressed to find many gyms that even train it (although there are more MMA gyms nowadays). He has great standup and even BJJ could be learnt in UK but wrestling i think is possibly his weak point. So its good to see hes long moved to somewhere its thought of as an art. Fingers crossed he learns loads and comes back here to pass it on.
Red-Dragon
2/24/09 8:13:31AM
Ive been watching Dan throughout his career in the smaller UK shows. He always brings it and is not afraid of anyone.
Great to see him start off so well in the UFC. If he has learnt some good BJJ with Eddie Bravo then he can be a contender.