UFC Quick Quote: Chuck Liddell says teammates should fight, drink beers afterward

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC Quick Quote: Chuck Liddell says teammates should fight, drink beers afterward
sparky
4/16/12 11:08:21PM
"If (a teammate) can beat me, they can beat me. It is what it is. They deserve to fight me then. I'm not going to hold back some guy that's in my camp if he wants to fight me. That's not my thing. It's just a personal choice and a personal opinion, but I think eventually, hey you guys are going at it, then go out and have two beers together afterwards. Go out there and prove who's best that day, and go out and be friends again."

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Light Heavyweight champion and UFC Hall of Famer Chuck Liddell would have no problems fighting his teammate. That's what "The Iceman" said on his appearance on "The MMA Hour" today (April 16, 2012). Liddell was referring to the current and much-publicized rift between former friends and training partners Rashad Evans and current 205-pound kingpin Jon Jones, who will finally face off this weekend (April 21, 2012) at UFC 145.

Link
Chael_Sonnen
4/16/12 11:24:12PM
Chuck and beer? That's like Andy and BK Stackers
TeamDEY
4/16/12 11:48:19PM
Sounds good to me. Chuck would probably do anything if there was beer involved.
LuckyCharms
4/17/12 12:48:13AM
What Chunk is not understanding, as well as Dana. Is that in many Countries each have different culture views and values from one another.

In American Culture, it is look upon okay to fight teammate. But in other countries culture, it is disrespectful to fight an teammate.

For example, In Brazil, when Vitor Belfort fought Anderson Silva. Silva took great offense, b/c in Brazil family is everything. In most fight camp there are view as a family more than just a ordinary gym.

Twenty20Dollars
4/17/12 1:20:45AM
Drink beers like right afterwards. Stone Cold Style, in the ring.

FastKnockout
4/17/12 2:23:59AM
Can't blame Chudk for feeling this way after Tito used "friendship" to duck the fight while they both knew Chuck would destroy him.
Kpro
4/18/12 7:12:46PM
I agree with LuckyCharms. There are even guys who have never met that would not face each other even for a title. For instance, two Gracie black belts, one at Renzo's in NY and one at Cesar's in Cali. Neither instructor would train his fighter to face another Gracie black belt or give his consent for his student to accept the match even for a UFC title. There are certain exceptions that will always be there.
Boo_Radley21
4/19/12 3:01:57AM
Liddell is still the man. He should have a handicap match against any teammates that wont fight. . I bet he'd be down
MarkBlanchard
4/20/12 6:22:56PM
Just my $.02 but I think Chuck is right. UFC is a business, these guys are professional fighters, and I don't think they should have the luxury to decide who they are going to fight and how they are going to earn their paycheck.

I'm not suggesting that it's easy to jump in the ring against a teammate... but family members compete against each other in a variety of professional sports... and if that possibility is a problem, you should consider another line of work.

Mark