UFC Quick Quote: Chuck Liddell deserves the next title shot

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Quick Quote: Chuck Liddell deserves the next title shot
Next Page »
MMAcca
6/29/08 5:00:29AM
“After I beat Rashad I think I deserve the next title shot.”

LINK
mrsmiley
6/29/08 8:27:57AM
Liddell has done a lot for the UFC,and to a certain degree I can understand were he would get a title shot,but the LHW division got a lot of competition and I honestly think Chuck would need to win 1-2 more fights before he gets another crack at the title.

I think he's wanting to win the LHW title one more time before moving to Heavy-weight,but I think regardless of the outcome of his fight with Rashad,going to HW would be an interesting decision for Liddell to make.
xburbx
6/29/08 10:17:25AM
I think if Silva wins in his first match we should see a Liddell vs Silva and then the title.
finnish_line
6/29/08 11:34:39AM

Liddell/Silva 2 would be more interesting if the title was on the line.

Not to say that Liddell should be favored in another match against Rampage, but he'll have earned a shot at getting his belt back if he beats Rashad.
rabbit915
6/29/08 11:44:52AM
If this division was as stagnant as the HWs or MWs then i wouldnt have an issue with it but its stacked and there are like 3 people who are in front of him. A win over Rashad and then one more and then maybe he will be next in line.
Red-Dragon
6/29/08 12:11:52PM
I dont see how beating someone like Rashad earns you a title shot. He will kill Rashad just like Silva, Machida, Rampage, Griffin, Shogun and probably a few more would kill Rashad. Chuck should face Machida WHEN he beats Rashad for the number 1 contender slot.
Twenty20Dollars
6/29/08 2:02:46PM
umm the only way i see chuck getting the next title shot is if he beats rashad with a finish. and if forrest wins the title because i dont think anyone wants to see rampage fight chuck who has already gotten beat by rampage twice. its the same thing with anderson silva and rich franklin.

dont see chuck getting the next title shot if rampage beats forrest he will be next in line after someone else gets a crack at rampages title.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
6/29/08 2:25:31PM
No way Chuck, not yet anyway.
I think Machida would be next. Maybe Wanderlei but not Chuck
Figsak
6/29/08 4:41:23PM
Wanderlei?? why???

losing 3 of yer last 4 gets you title shots now?

QUICK someone tell Arona he has a shot at the UFC LHW title!
cmill21
6/29/08 4:56:19PM
I don't want to see Chuck vs. Rampage three if Rampage and Chuck both win. It was the opposite of Franklin and Silva, Rampage vs Liddell keep getting shorter. I think Rampage is a terrible match up for Chuck, he can take any amount of punches, and you can't take to many of his, also he's so strong if you get under him your not getting up.
prozacnation1978
6/29/08 5:01:47PM
i don't think so,
i think chuck needs to finish evans then fight shogun
give machida his shot, then after set it up
jae_1833
6/29/08 5:14:31PM

I am with the consensus here going 2-2 in your last 4 fights does not rate a title shot IMO. I think he needs more like 4-5 in a row in the LHW div....over top cometition!!!
EON
6/29/08 5:20:22PM
No you dont Chuck, Machida is next and you and 2 others have ducked him
finnish_line
6/29/08 6:53:11PM

First of all, fights in Japan do not count toward this issue. In any way. Stop bringing them up.

Rampage/Liddell 2 would be big business, much more so than a Machida title shot.

Liddell recently beat Wanderlei, so any notion that Wanderlei would be ahead of Liddell in the rankings is unbelievably dumb.

Finally, you can't reasonably expect a guy who held the title for as long as Liddell did to win 5 fights in a row just to get a rematch for his belt. Yes he did lose to Jardine, but beating Wand and Evans should be enough to counter that.

EON
6/29/08 7:17:00PM

Posted by finnish_line

First of all, fights in Japan do not count toward this issue. In any way. Stop bringing them up.

stop trolling, nobody agrees with you

Posted by finnish_line
Rampage/Liddell 2 would be big business, much more so than a Machida title shot.

theyve already fought twice but since your a noobie i'll let that slide, oh wait according to you their first fight didnt count cus it was in japan

finnish_line
Liddell recently beat Wanderlei, so any notion that Wanderlei would be ahead of Liddell in the rankings is unbelievably dumb.

Finally, you can't reasonably expect a guy who held the title for as long as Liddell did to win 5 fights in a row just to get a rematch for his belt. Yes he did lose to Jardine, but beating Wand and Evans should be enough to counter that.

you think rampage wants to fight liddell anymore, its not even debateable anymore than rampage has chucks number and hopefully if he gets the fight he will lose as badly as before so he moves up to HW where he should be

PS being 2-2 isnt enough for a title shot regardless of past acheivements, anyone who says machida dosnt deserve the title shot is a blind liddell nuthugger or is a blind machida hater
finnish_line
6/29/08 8:33:58PM

Such ridiculous statements.

MMA, as it is currently being presented by the UFC, is not a true sport through and through. It is primarily entertainment.

The majority of the UFC PPV buying audience (the people who have opinions that actually count towards this decision) want to pay to see Chuck fight. This has been proven.

It has not been proven that they want to pay to see Machida fight. If anything, quite the opposite.

Fights in Japan are only considered by the mainstream fan if the UFC goes out of their way to impress upon these people that this fight had significance. They will play clips of these fights over and over again in commercials and the Countdown special.

Past that, fights that did not take place in the UFC make no difference to the mainstream fan. If UFC was a sport in every sense of the word, then the opinions expressed by the posters in this thread would make a lot more sense.

As things currently stand, I am right.

tommyprairie
6/29/08 10:32:37PM
UFC does not want Machida to have the title. He fights to not lose rather than going for KO/Submission.

Winner of Wany vs Machida VS winner Liddell vs rashad
EliasG
6/29/08 11:24:39PM
I think Machida should have a shot. Either that or put him up against Machida or Thiago. There are some bad mama jamas coming up the young ranks. They need to get their names built and they will only do that by showing well against veterans or beating 'names.' I suppose if the UFC just wants to have 2 "name" guys forever that every year get older and older and older, they could let CHuck fight for a title every other year but truth is, there are other guys that are more deserving.
finnish_line
6/29/08 11:45:55PM

They've got to make their money off Liddell now while they still can.

Machida isn't going anywhere.
Wolfenstein
6/30/08 12:29:37AM
Hey Finish Line, Lyoto is the next #1 contender in line period. Everyone is ducking him for a reason. Becuse this guy is so talented, and like nothing anyone has seen before. Seriously, no one will fight him right now. When was the last time thishappened in the UFC?

Figsak
6/30/08 12:54:04AM

Posted by EON

you think rampage wants to fight liddell anymore, its not even debateable anymore than rampage has chucks number and hopefully if he gets the fight he will lose as badly as before so he moves up to HW where he should be

PS being 2-2 isnt enough for a title shot regardless of past acheivements, anyone who says machida dosnt deserve the title shot is a blind liddell nuthugger or is a blind machida hater

I tend to disagree with ALOT of what you say, but I'm gonna agree with you here.

Finish Line...
Fights that happen in Japan don't count? What?? You forgot to put "LOL just kidding" after that statement. UFC isn't the be all end all of MMA.

And wtf was that about only ppl who buy PPV's have valid opinions on MMA?
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only hardcore MMA fan who's never bought a PPV. I just cant justify dishing out 40-50$ on a TV event, expecially when they tend to happen about once a month. I'm a cheap bastard and I don't want to pay all that money to see a sport I love, and I shouldn't have to. I love you though.

Vote4Fedro
6/30/08 1:31:53AM

Posted by finnish_line

Liddell= GOAT
Sam_Rothstein
6/30/08 3:03:18AM
Whoever wins the upcoming fight between him and rashad should fight Machida

Then the winner of that fight should fight for the title

Only seems fair
Pookie
6/30/08 3:14:12AM

Posted by tommyprairie

UFC does not want Machida to have the title. He fights to not lose rather than going for KO/Submission.

He fights to capitalize. Every fighter that is willing to engage him he does a great job of damaging. It takes 2 fighter to make a fight and most fighters arent willing to engage him because they end up with a fist in their face.
Pookie
6/30/08 3:17:13AM

Posted by finnish_line

Liddell also lost to Jardine who lost to Wandy, so the notion that Chucks wins are worth more than Wandy's wins just because is also unbelievably dumb.
CornishMMA
6/30/08 6:33:29AM
the whole Jardine+Wandy+Chuck thing makes them all NA for title shots until they get more wins or avenge a loss to each other etc

Chucks brain must have frozen if he thinks he is ranked above Machida

I dont care if he wouldnt be the most exciting champion ever he deserves his shot now, i think Rampage would beat him personally but want to see it regardless
saemskin
6/30/08 8:30:34AM
man oh man it really sounds like Chuck is looking right past Rashad.

Now, I think that most of us would agree that Chuck would win this fight, IF he comes in fully prepared and ready to go. When a fighter starts talking about the next fight or the next fight I dont feel they are taking their current fight seriously.

I hope this isn't the case.
finnish_line
6/30/08 8:53:37AM

It all comes down to what direction you choose to view UFC from.

I choose to see it as it is. Dana will determine the #1 contender, not the Internet.

So really Dana's opinion is the only one that counts (along with Joe Silva's).

Dana's opinion is largely based on the buying habits of the mainstream UFC fan. The ones that buy PPVs.

These are the facts in evidence, and they are indisputable.

Now, we have no way of knowing if Machida is going to get the next shot at the LHW belt after Forrest. It might happen, it might not. Scheduling may force the issue.

Going by Dana's past decisions, it is much more likely that Liddell will get a shot at the title before Machida does. Purely financial decision, since Liddell/Rampage 2 (and that IS how they will bill it - sorry Japanese purists) will draw a lot more money than Machida/Rampage.

It's a business first and foremost, and a sport only when it suits the bottom line.

Figsak
6/30/08 2:33:57PM

Posted by saemskin

man oh man it really sounds like Chuck is looking right past Rashad.

Now, I think that most of us would agree that Chuck would win this fight, IF he comes in fully prepared and ready to go. When a fighter starts talking about the next fight or the next fight I dont feel they are taking their current fight seriously.

I hope this isn't the case.

I'll go against the grain then and say Rashad for the split decision.
GSPCanada
6/30/08 5:46:20PM
There is a lot of flawed rationale on this board:

LHW division is stacked but unfotunately there is no #1 contender due to flawed mathcups and upsets, having a guy like thiago fight a new comer makes no sense at all to me and doesnt make the picture any clearer
as far as fights in japan why should they count towards the UFC belt, they have all sorts of different rules regargding ring n cage, stand ups, their rounds are timed different, knees and elbows I think japan fights are iportant in regards to career and legacy but not a title picture
its hard for liddell to say he deserves a titile when he lost to jardine who lost to wandy who lost to chuck so him n wandy need 2 more fights (including the evans fight) also its hard to say machida deserves a title shot because his biggest win was over ortiz a decision win over ortiz when liddell knocked him out twice. everyone has good opinions but we need to look at the bigger picture which is so screwed up because of all the upsets like forrest over shogun n jardine over liddell
Pages: [1] 2