UFC Quick Quote: Chuck Liddell deserves the next title shot

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC Quick Quote: Chuck Liddell deserves the next title shot
Mchubb316
6/29/08 1:12:34AM
Does he?

Former light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell tells MMANews.com that he deserves the next shot at the 205-pound crown that he used to sport if he can defeat Rashad Evans at UFC 88: “Breakthrough” in Atlanta, Ga., on September 6. “Iceman” rebounded from back-to-back losses to outpoint Wanderlei Silva on all three judges scorecards at UFC 79: “Nemesis” in December 2007. He is winless in two attempts against reigning division champion, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson. Lyoto Machida, Wanderlei Silva, Thiago Silva and Evans (with a win) are also among those who are in contention.

Source
Khaos
6/29/08 1:28:20AM
Chuck doesn't deserve it, some like(and even though I dislike him) Lyoto Machida, he has wins over some(tito) good people, Chuck is 1:2 in his last 3 fights, maybe if that would improve to like 4:2, or 5:2 he'd deserve it, he'd have to beat top competition, not a B level fighter like Rashad Evans.
voodoo-jitsu
6/29/08 1:35:06AM

Posted by Mchubb316

Does he?

Former light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell tells MMANews.com that he deserves the next shot at the 205-pound crown that he used to sport if he can defeat Rashad Evans at UFC 88: “Breakthrough” in Atlanta, Ga., on September 6. “Iceman” rebounded from back-to-back losses to outpoint Wanderlei Silva on all three judges scorecards at UFC 79: “Nemesis” in December 2007. He is winless in two attempts against reigning division champion, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson. Lyoto Machida, Wanderlei Silva, Thiago Silva and Evans (with a win) are also among those who are in contention.

Source

no he doesnt but i did have a good idea(i think) reading the other contenders have a 4 man toury of sorts the 4 top contenders fight and the 2 winners move on to the next PPV to fight and the winner fights the champ in the following PPV they can do that in every division
warglory
6/29/08 1:35:47AM
To be quite honest, if Machida doesn't get the next shot, I will be pissed. The man walked through Tito, a former dominant champion not to long ago, and would likely do the same to Chuck. How anyone can justify Machida not getting a shot is beyond me. Knowing Dana though, he'll appeal to the sentiments of the common UFC fan and stick Chuck back into contention which is shameful.
Manfred
6/29/08 2:01:41AM
If he'd beat Jardine, I'd say maybe. As the 2nd longest running LHW Champ, he doesn't need to start at the bottom again.

But he needs at least one more win. Especially if Rampage is still champ.
chickmagnet
6/29/08 3:51:09AM
Please UFC give Wanderlei a shot at rampage first, then if Chuck wins he can wait and get the winner.

I am a huge Chuck fan. I want him to get a title shot. But I want to see Wanderlei vs. Rampage 3 as a 5 rounder.
puppetmaster837
6/29/08 4:41:21AM

Posted by chickmagnet

Please UFC give Wanderlei a shot at rampage first, then if Chuck wins he can wait and get the winner.

I am a huge Chuck fan. I want him to get a title shot. But I want to see Wanderlei vs. Rampage 3 as a 5 rounder.

And then if Wanderlei wins a possible Wanderlei vs. Chuck 2 as a 5 rounder. Because 3 rounds wasnt enough the first time.
dustyp
6/29/08 6:57:07AM
that would prolly be the best match up because of the fighers history
But i sitll think if Liddel beats Rashad he would deserve a shot just lookat his last 10 fights- 8-2 8 top 10 opp.-8kos 2ko were on randy who then dominated the HWs and 2kos were on tito so if Lyoto deserves a shot for beating tito why wouldnt chuck. Plus after wandy handled jardine (literally) it proved that the wandy that he beat still was a dominant fighter like he was in pride. So with that said if it were a figher that ducks guys like tito or a guy that is happy fighting sub par fighters or if he didnt make weight for fights i would say hell no. But chuck is as dana would say a real f-in fighter he has step aside for the ufc to put on the ken and tito fight and with a title shot guaranteed he then told them he wanted to fight renato on the same card. Most fighters would just take that title shot not chuck. So if they didnt give him a shot i think it would be a slap in the face after all he has done for the ufc. Personally I dont want to see him fight Rampage again yet, but to say that he dosent deserve to fight for the belt i would not say that.
mrsmiley
6/29/08 8:51:58AM
I think he needs to win a fight or two more before he would get the title shot.
I think giving him a title shot after beating Rashad (which Liddell is heavily favored to win),would be nothing short of just doing him a favor.I say give him Machida and Shogun.I think Liddell vs Soko would be great too.
keith-hackney1
6/29/08 2:17:59PM
If Machida with his 5-0 ufc record doesn't get the next title shot, it shows the blunders still around in the ufc ranking system. At the moment it seems to be ranked on favouritism, unless you are best friends with dana white (CHUCK) you wont get you title shot quickly. Machida is the toughest test in the LHW division, He deserves his title shot, he's ready.
EON
6/29/08 3:01:35PM
now i really hope rashad beats him, he is not deserving at all, machida is next dana, you know it
dustyp
6/29/08 7:51:36PM

Posted by keith-hackney1

If Machida with his 5-0 ufc record doesn't get the next title shot, it shows the blunders still around in the ufc ranking system. At the moment it seems to be ranked on favouritism, unless you are best friends with dana white (CHUCK) you wont get you title shot quickly. Machida is the toughest test in the LHW division, He deserves his title shot, he's ready.

Yeah right chuck was 9-1 ufc on a 8 fight win streak with wins over renato sobral,Vitor belfort,Kevin Randleman,Murilo Bustamante,and jeff monson. Before he fought randy for the belt. It sounds to me that you are the one with the favouritism problems not the ufc. You should make sure you know what your talkin about before you make judgements about how deserving a fighter like chuck is of any bout anywhere.
Figsak
6/30/08 1:10:29AM

Posted by Khaos

Chuck doesn't deserve it, some like(and even though I dislike him) Lyoto Machida, he has wins over some(tito) good people, Chuck is 1:2 in his last 3 fights, maybe if that would improve to like 4:2, or 5:2 he'd deserve it, he'd have to beat top competition, not a B level fighter like Rashad Evans.

BJ Penn
Rich Franklin
Sokodjou

You left out these guys and named Tito as your example of his good wins?

Boooooooo
warglory
6/30/08 1:53:49AM

Posted by Figsak

Posted by Khaos

BJ Penn
Rich Franklin
Sokodjou

Boooooooo

You also forgot to mention Nakamura. Who does Machida have to beat to get a shot? Its getting ridiculous.
keith-hackney1
6/30/08 5:33:20AM

Posted by dustyp

Posted by keith-hackney1

Yeah right chuck was 9-1 ufc on a 8 fight win streak with wins over renato sobral,Vitor belfort,Kevin Randleman,Murilo Bustamante,and jeff monson. Before he fought randy for the belt. It sounds to me that you are the one with the favouritism problems not the ufc. You should make sure you know what your talkin about before you make judgements about how deserving a fighter like chuck is of any bout anywhere.

Get your facts right dude, don't come on here and try and out smart hackney with bullshit facts, check up on them before you post on it.

Chuck was on a 10 fight win streak, until he lost to couture. 7 of those wins were in the UFC, not 8. Then after his loss to randy, he had 2 fights in pride, 1 win over alistair overeem, and 1 loss to rampage. On his run back to the belt, he only fought vernon white and ortiz before he had his title shot with couture notching up another 7 straight victories in the UFC.
Then with a brutal ko loss to jackson, and an embarrassing loss to to the TUF competitor Keith jardine, In a fight where Chuck actually got rocked too. 2-1 Round loss. Chuck came back with a poor decision win over vanderlei Silva. Really impressive stuff from the ex world champ, Now he's fighting Rashad evans for a world title shot, instead of the likes of Machida (UFC 5-0)or thiago silva( UFC 4-0 all by tko). Everybody knows how close Chuck and dana white are, white is the UFC president, of cause chuck with fight the wrestler rather than the striker !!!! open your eyes dude !!!
mrsmiley
6/30/08 7:52:05AM

Posted by keith-hackney1

Posted by dustyp

Posted by keith-hackney1

Get your facts right dude, don't come on here and try and out smart hackney with bullshit facts, check up on them before you post on it.

Chuck was on a 10 fight win streak, until he lost to couture. 7 of those wins were in the UFC, not 8. Then after his loss to randy, he had 2 fights in pride, 1 win over alistair overeem, and 1 loss to rampage. On his run back to the belt, he only fought vernon white and ortiz before he had his title shot with couture notching up another 7 straight victories in the UFC.
Then with a brutal ko loss to jackson, and an embarrassing loss to to the TUF competitor Keith jardine, In a fight where Chuck actually got rocked too. 2-1 Round loss. Chuck came back with a poor decision win over vanderlei Silva. Really impressive stuff from the ex world champ, Now he's fighting Rashad evans for a world title shot, instead of the likes of Machida (UFC 5-0)or thiago silva( UFC 4-0 all by tko). Everybody knows how close Chuck and dana white are, white is the UFC president, of cause chuck with fight the wrestler rather than the striker !!!! open your eyes dude !!!

Nicely put!
gsquat
6/30/08 10:04:45AM
Theres seems to be a lot of overlooking of Rashad. Thats fine though. These are the things upsets are made of.
king_katool
6/30/08 10:28:45AM

Posted by gsquat

Theres seems to be a lot of overlooking of Rashad. Thats fine though. These are the things upsets are made of.

thats right buddy just wait to see the posts they make when rashads brings out "Bro-Cop" and kicks liddels head off

WAR EVANS
gsquat
6/30/08 1:36:51PM
bro-cop
keith-hackney1
6/30/08 5:32:00PM

Posted by gsquat

I see what you mean dude, i don't under rate rashad evans, its just i don't see that he's the guy chuck needs to beat in order to get a title shot, when you have the likes of Machida and thiago in the picture both winning their fights in impressive style against tough competition.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
7/1/08 12:36:23AM

Posted by keith-hackney1

i think machida should fight page next for the belt after page destroys forrest. I love how everyone is ducking lyoto. many fighters have claimed they want nothing to do with lyoto..once he has the belt people will be forced to fight him

chucks decision over wandy wasnt poor. it was an epic slugfest, one of the best fights ive ever seen. lidell took keith lightly like he did randy the first time. Kieth is dangerous look what he did to forest. in a rematch lidell would destroy jardine. jardine even said he was almost out in the first round. closer then lidell was ever to being out that whole fight. If forest gets the belt(not likely IMO) and chuck wins against rashad(likely) the should set up chuck vs forest. If page wins i would like to see liddell take on more more fight after rashad. a thiago silva would be a good fight. then page rematch.

mrsmiley
7/1/08 5:43:18AM

Posted by keith-hackney1

Posted by gsquat

I see what you mean dude, i don't under rate rashad evans, its just i don't see that he's the guy chuck needs to beat in order to get a title shot, when you have the likes of Machida and thiago in the picture both winning their fights in impressive style against tough competition.

Yeah I agree.I'm actualy giving Rashad an underdogs chance though,and thinking he can take Liddell in this one.Liddell is still coming off an injury and I don't know the guys situation,but something tells me he still not 100 %,and Rashad will capatilize.

It's just ridiculous Liddell is claiming the title shot is his if he beats Rashad,with the likes of Machida and Thiago Silva in the division.Not to mention Keith Jardine's win over "The Iceman" is still looming in the air.
mach
7/1/08 6:50:46AM

Posted by gsquat

Chuck Liddell has walked through better wrestlers than Rashad in the past and he's not gonna beat him standing, he's gonna get ****** up

Honestly at this point I'd like to see Machida vs. Wandy for a title shot but i'd be chill with Machida just getting the next shot regardless
gsquat
7/1/08 9:55:31AM
I could see the argument for Chuck getting a title shot after beating Rashad if it wasn't the LHW division. There is too much competition. Machida will get the next shot and if Chuck wins he'll fight the loser of Forrest vs Rampage. If Rashad wins he'll get a title shot after Machida.
dustyp
7/1/08 8:25:40PM

Posted by keith-hackney1

Posted by dustyp

Posted by keith-hackney1

I said he was 9-1 in UFC i meant the win streak to be ufc also since it is the ufc belt were talkin bout and i accidentally counted the guy mezger as a ufc fight instead of pride which the ufc now owns and they have fought for pride belts in the ufc so really i wasnt that far off. I am sure a 5-0 or 4-0 ufc is much better suited to fight for the belt than a 16-4 ufc record.If you tought that the Silva fight was a poor decision then mabe you should try accually watching the fight.
dustyp
7/1/08 8:59:22PM
Besides from my logic since they fight for the belt sat and chuck dosent fight untill sep. by october Machida could fight winner of ramp vs griff and the winner of Liddel and Evans should fight the winner of Machida vs. Ramp or Griff in December or January. Plus they could have silva vs. silva or T. or W. silva vs. Rua To fight in November or as a co-main in Oct. to see who would fight for the belt after Dec./Jan title fight
Khaos
7/1/08 9:01:52PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by Figsak

Posted by Khaos

BJ Penn
Rich Franklin
Sokodjou

Boooooooo

You also forgot to mention Nakamura. Who does Machida have to beat to get a shot? Its getting ridiculous.

My bad to you both, I was hurry when I posted it, so I only put his most recent win
StriderXero
7/1/08 11:01:46PM
I think Machida deserves the shot next. I'd even pick Thiago Silva before I'd pick Chuck. I think it's a lil unfair for him to cut in line just cus he beat Rashad.....
warglory
7/2/08 5:43:53PM

Posted by Khaos

Posted by warglory

Posted by Figsak

Posted by Khaos

BJ Penn
Rich Franklin
Sokodjou

Boooooooo

My bad to you both, I was hurry when I posted it, so I only put his most recent win

No worries, was just further citing his amazing fight record to reinforce why he deserves a shot way more than Chucky.
king_katool
7/3/08 12:19:27PM

Posted by StriderXero

I think Machida deserves the shot next. I'd even pick Thiago Silva before I'd pick Chuck. I think it's a lil unfair for him to cut in line just cus he beat Rashad.....

he hast beaten rashad