UFC Quick Quote: Cain Velasquez doesn't plan on taking Junior dos Santos down

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC Quick Quote: Cain Velasquez doesn't plan on taking Junior dos Santos down
Budgellism
10/27/11 8:12:04AM
"If (the opportunity) is there I'll take it, but that's not the game plan going in. He is good in that position, but I'm not afraid to put him in that position. If I don't get it, I'm going to stand up with him, punch with him and kick with him. We're going to do everything. I think he's a well-rounded fighter. I think he's one of the best boxers in MMA. He has good takedown defense and if he does get taken down, he's able to pop up right away. And he does throw kicks here and there. He's just really well-rounded. I don't see him as having a gas tank problem at all. He's been in fights with a bunch of tough guys and he's beaten them up every round."

- Cain Velasquez

LINK
Budgellism
10/27/11 8:13:33AM
This fight is too awesome. I can see the fight going down 100 different ways. I really hope it lives up to the hype.
FastKnockout
10/27/11 8:29:14AM
"If (the opportunity) is there I'll take it."

That's all I needed to know. No reason to stand with Junior just to do it, especially if he's landing his punches.
emfleek
10/27/11 9:18:16AM
Sure. And I'll make sure I'm doing dishes rather than watching this fight.

Chael_Sonnen
10/27/11 9:23:43AM
Viva la Brown Pride
gartface
10/27/11 9:33:18AM
"If (the opportunity) is there I'll take it, but that's not the game plan going in." But, " If I don't get it, I'm going to stand up with him, punch with him and kick with him."

This is so confusing! The plan isn't to take him down, but if he doesn't get the take down, he's going to stand with him?
Pookie
10/27/11 10:55:25AM
Cain Velasquez will set up his takedowns with strikes. Good for him.
Budgellism
10/27/11 11:47:49AM

Posted by Pookie

Cain Velasquez will set up his takedowns with strikes. Good for him.

Lol, essentially yeah.
Poor_Franklin
10/27/11 1:48:55PM
very excite
mrsmiley
10/27/11 2:23:05PM
I think in essence what Cain is attempting to say is:

"Hey I would really like to go to the ground but i'm not banking on that to keep the strap around my waist. If this guy pops back up from his back he'll be eating fist."
KungFuMaster
10/27/11 6:38:24PM
I think what Cain is trying to do is let Junior know Cain will throw everything at him to get him thinking of this and that...But the main goal IMO is to eventually take Junior down and pound him out.

Cain's strategy should be no surprise. He has an excellent stand up (on par with Junior's). If he is winning in the stand up, then there is no need for the take downs. If he is losing the stand up, then he will set up his take downs with strikes. Unlike Carwin, Cain is fast and will be able set up his take downs by way of strikes.

Cain has two ways to win this fight - 1. stand up and 2. take downs.

On paper, JDS is limited to how he can win this fight. I doubt he can take Cain down and I doubt he can submit Cain from the bottom which only leaves the stand up portion for him to prevail in.
prozacnation1978
10/27/11 7:08:46PM
Interesting if cain stands and trades with him
I think JDS will knock him out
hashyandy4
10/27/11 8:01:46PM
Cannot wait 4 this fight. WAR JDS!!