quick question bout Couture & his possible UFC return

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » quick question bout Couture & his possible UFC return
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/2/08 12:47:53PM
his last fight was Gonzaga, exactly 1 year & week ago from today.

even though he left as champ & Nog is the supposed Interim champ, does him not defending his belt within a year change any of this?

wiggum
9/2/08 12:57:29PM
thats a good point.....it probably depends on his contract and what the ufc wants to do...if its a one fight deal, then i imagine that he would give up the belt and nog would be confirmed as champ...but if its a multiple fight deal, i dont see how the ufc could swing it were he wasnt defending his belt....course, as theyve shown before, the ufc can pretty much do what they want, ha
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/2/08 1:04:15PM

Posted by wiggum

thats a good point.....it probably depends on his contract and what the ufc wants to do...if its a one fight deal, then i imagine that he would give up the belt and nog would be confirmed as champ...but if its a multiple fight deal, i dont see how the ufc could swing it were he wasnt defending his belt....course, as theyve shown before, the ufc can pretty much do what they want, ha

true, i just got to thinkin about the rumors of him fightin at 91

-they could say he is still champ & its a nontitle bout
-they could say he didnt defend the title in a year so he is no longer champ, but if he won he got a title shot
-they could say win or lose, he gets a mandatory title shot against mir/nog winner

just curious what the ufc's policy has been on not defending the belt.....i know how other orgs usually do it but cant remember ufcs policy
wiggum
9/2/08 1:08:54PM
they dont have a consitent history of choices either cuz if you look at the mir situation when he broke his arm, they took the belt away cuz he could defend it after a year....at the same time, matt serra got injured, and techniqually (on a couple weeks difference) he hadnt defended the belt in over a year either....wishy washy, who knows....i saw that theyre having some big annoucnment today so hopefully it deals with this and the mess clears up a bit
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/2/08 1:18:56PM

Posted by wiggum

they dont have a consitent history of choices either cuz if you look at the mir situation when he broke his arm, they took the belt away cuz he could defend it after a year....at the same time, matt serra got injured, and techniqually (on a couple weeks difference) he hadnt defended the belt in over a year either....wishy washy, who knows....i saw that theyre having some big annoucnment today so hopefully it deals with this and the mess clears up a bit

yeah i prolly shoulda waited til after the announce emnt to see if this post was even necessary....
oh well we'll see