Questions about refs

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Questions about refs
mrliquid
2/22/08 12:57:30PM
Do the refs have contracts with certain mma companys or do they get subcontracted because with all the talk going around about Dana White having a problem with his fighters wanting to be involved with any other orginization such as the IFL or W.E.C. than wouldnt he have a problem with his refs like Herb Dean and Steve Mazzagatti and even big John being involved in those orginizations or even Frank Mir doing commentary for W.E.C.?
pv3Hpv3p
2/22/08 1:03:24PM

Posted by mrliquid

Do the refs have contracts with certain mma companys or do they get subcontracted because with all the talk going around about Dana White having a problem with his fighters wanting to be involved with any other orginization such as the IFL or W.E.C. than wouldnt he have a problem with his refs like Herb Dean and Steve Mazzagatti and even big John being involved in those orginizations or even Frank Mir doing commentary for W.E.C.?

Mir's an easy answer... Zuffa, the parent company of the UFC, also owns the WEC... Therefor there's really no problem with crosspromoting the brands.. And will be a reason that we'll see the lower level UFC fighters head down to the WEC and probably some fighters 'graduating' and heading up to the UFC...

As for the other orgs... I would think that the refs are entitled to make money however they can and since they are really just background and not really headlining or selling any cards... I am of the impression that Dana doesn't want his fighters fighting elsewhere because he is most worried about giving a rival org ligitimacy... kinda like admiting they are on the same level as the UFC... IMO, he's basically just a dick
DCRage
2/22/08 1:20:38PM
On the refs, I believe they are chosen for each event/fight by the State Athletic Commission where the event's being held. If you look at the shirts they wear on UFC events in Vegas you'd see the Nevada State Athletic Commission logo.
Kpro
2/22/08 1:23:45PM
DCRage is correct, the athletic commission employs the refs.

The UFC paying the refs would be a conflict of interest.

That being said, I don't know if the UFC is allowed any input to the athletic commission on which ref for which fight but I would assume not.
babytater03
2/22/08 2:08:01PM

Posted by Kpro

DCRage is correct, the athletic commission employs the refs.

The UFC paying the refs would be a conflict of interest.

That being said, I don't know if the UFC is allowed any input to the athletic commission on which ref for which fight but I would assume not.

I thought it was at least a joint agreement on having certain refs for certain fights.
or am i just an idiot here?
Set me straight Kpro
Tein_Lung
2/22/08 6:21:53PM
one the commisions got involved the ref started working for them.. that why even old herb did a few of the US pride shows