Question as a Wrestler

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Question as a Wrestler
NatedawgThaM
9/15/07 7:06:29PM
As a wrestler who just started my first week in MMA class this past monday its been real fun but real hard to.

I primarily a wrestler but I dont think I have a great shot but my instructor does and my first instinct as a wrestler that my wrestling coach taught me was to shoot in as soon the ref says begin. I can usually take down my partners that I grapple with or most just let me so they can pull guard.

My question concerns GUARD!

I know a wrestlers best position is side & Scarf mount and I learned some great things last night but my question is HOW DO YOU GET OUT OF GUARD?

I know the can opener is a good way but most people who know a decent amount of JJ pull you down to there leval so you cant can open them.

Please can I have some suggestions? Im sick of being caught in Triangles, Guard Armbars and Go Gos!!!
kevinmitchell300
9/15/07 7:12:33PM
A good way to escape guard is to raise your shoulders to your chin and drive your elbows down to the inside of the knees. When I do this I can usually give me enoufgh space to work out of it but there is always a chance of a triangle choke. It's a tricky situation for sure.
loonytnt
9/15/07 7:18:31PM
getting out of guard is easy, there are many ways to do it, since you just started the easiest thing that you can do is get your elbows in on his insides of his legs put one knee right in his middle of his butt, put your hands on his lower stomach and push away from him, that will open his guard so you can pass

im a wrestler to and love BBJ, when you hit your taledown throw the guys legs past you so you land in a side mount that will help a lot to. good luck

go DIAZ!!
Stickan
9/15/07 7:26:18PM
It's all about posture. You want to be either really close to your opponent or far away from him. It's in the middlegrounds you get caught.

One classic way to break a guard is to posture up and put your knee in your opponents butt. Now you control his hips and his guard is usually very weak from here. Just don't let they guy follow you up when you posture up because then there's a danger of getting caught in kimuras, guillotines or getting chest-to-chest swept.

Personally I like to bait for submissions and then pass. For example when the guy throws a leg up for a triangle. Works very well for me but I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner.
hotrodttt
9/15/07 8:03:26PM
NatedawgThaM
9/15/07 8:11:45PM
THANKS!!!!

Now I might have a chance against the boarderline between decent and good grappler sin my class!!!

Appreciate it!!!
fullerene
9/15/07 9:14:35PM
Remember this saying:

BOTH (arms) IN OR BOTH (arms) OUT
loonytnt
9/15/07 10:33:23PM
yeah that rule is for triangles, its great to remember
fullerene
9/15/07 11:41:10PM

Posted by loonytnt

yeah that rule is for triangles, its great to remember

armbars and triangles
Vendetta
9/16/07 12:39:03AM
There are literally thousands of ways to pass the guard.

1) Ask your instructor
2) www.lockflow.com

As for some basics, make sure you're controlling the hips if you're passing on the ground. I personally like standing up in guard (especially high guard), but make sure your foot placement is kosher or you could get into some trouble.

Honestly, just keep hitting your MMA class. Your instructor will show some guard passes within the first few weeks in the beginner classes.
Vendetta
9/16/07 12:42:14AM

Posted by kevinmitchell300

A good way to escape guard is to raise your shoulders to your chin and drive your elbows down to the inside of the knees. When I do this I can usually give me enoufgh space to work out of it but there is always a chance of a triangle choke. It's a tricky situation for sure.

Lame way to pass, learn some technique. In my gym that only works on the nooblets. I can't remember the last time that's worked against me and I'm not exactly a veteran.
Svartorm
9/16/07 3:54:59AM
Right. Once the legs are conditioned and used to applying guard, it doesn't work so hot. If you do it dynamically it might give you a bit of room to work with, but you're better off learning some real guard passes.
Jackelope
9/16/07 12:55:52PM
Yeah I'm really surprised to see this post. You're probably just really stoked about your initial training. Trust me, in time those passes will come. That is basic level 1 stuff. It's no use posting all the ways to pass guard (for one, because I'm no expert) but also because there are TONS of ways to do it. I'm really surprised for a beginner the first thing you didn't learn is the stack and pass to full mount. Normally that's everyone's day one.

Have faith and patience in your system (your teachers will appreciate it) If you reach 6 months down the road and you still can't pass someone's gaurd.. then yeah... start to worry
NatedawgThaM
9/16/07 1:26:02PM

Posted by Jackelope

Yeah I'm really surprised to see this post. You're probably just really stoked about your initial training. Trust me, in time those passes will come. That is basic level 1 stuff. It's no use posting all the ways to pass guard (for one, because I'm no expert) but also because there are TONS of ways to do it. I'm really surprised for a beginner the first thing you didn't learn is the stack and pass to full mount. Normally that's everyone's day one.

Have faith and patience in your system (your teachers will appreciate it) If you reach 6 months down the road and you still can't pass someone's gaurd.. then yeah... start to worry

Yeah this past week was my first week and we really didnt work on guard passes, we just learned submissions and guard SWEEPS, and sweeps dont really help me since I like to be on top and most the people I go against put in guard real easy so your right, I am just trying to stay out of boring guard since its grappling and I cant GNP!
loonytnt
9/16/07 1:42:49PM
guard is the fisrt thing i teach new guys that come to my gym, you will learn, it takes time
enemyofmany
9/18/07 11:47:09AM
all things mentioned are good.and i know you cant really apply this at practice,but dont forget when your in a match and someone's locked in guard,you can always posture up and drop some punches wich tends to make them open it up,so try droppin a few punches,and immediatly try and pass.also,speaking from experiance,never try coming straight out with a shot unless you set it up with a couple punches first.your coach telling you to shoot right at the whistle is horrible advice,you might get a couple guys like that wrestling,but not in mma.always try and set it up.
Lethalweapon
9/24/07 9:51:41PM
I love to pass my opponents guard and know several ways to do it. My favorite pass is to posture up and use my elbows to force my oponent to open guard. From there I put one arm under my opponents knee and remain in a high posture position. from there I turn to the side and throw my opponents legs to the side. I try to pass guard as soon and as often as possible and if it is done correctly, with proper postioning you can get in a good position to take your opponents back. Good luck, you will improve as time goes on.