Question about the secondary league

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Question about the secondary league
Franklinfan47
2/21/08 10:57:35PM
Just a general question out of curiousity, but how do the mods decide which companies and events will be on the secondary league? With the primary its easy, just pick ufc events (or Pride if it were still around). I was looking at some upcoming events and I noticed the next IFL on the 28th isn't on there, where I understood in the past IFL events usually were. The event has Horwich, Nelson, and Schultz all defending their titles....did I miss something?
wolfman
2/21/08 11:01:17PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

Just a general question out of curiousity, but how do the mods decide which companies and events will be on the secondary league? With the primary its easy, just pick ufc events (or Pride if it were still around). I was looking at some upcoming events and I noticed the next IFL on the 28th isn't on there, where I understood in the past IFL events usually were. The event has Horwich, Nelson, and Schultz all defending their titles....did I miss something?

Good question, I'm sure someone will have an answer for you shortly.
Daddyprimetime
2/21/08 11:33:13PM
They probably just pick which ones they think will get the most interest.
CantAndleDaRiddum
2/21/08 11:49:47PM
good question, cant wait for a mod to answer
DCRage
2/22/08 9:29:14AM
It's a few factors, mainly how big the promotion is (obviously bigger ones like WEC, EXC, Strikeforce, K-1, etc.) and star power/name recognition on the card (an event with lots of current/former UFC or PRIDE guys is more likely to be chosen, as is an event with a lot of fighters who most MMA fans recognize). The next 2 Strikeforce cards are good examples-the next one wasn't chosen because it had maybe 2 fighters most fans know by name (Bob Sapp and Joe Riggs), while the next one after that could be loaded-Frank Shamrock, Cung Le, Riggs again, Gina Carano, Paul Buentello, among others.
Franklinfan47
2/22/08 7:02:25PM

Posted by DCRage

It's a few factors, mainly how big the promotion is (obviously bigger ones like WEC, EXC, Strikeforce, K-1, etc.) and star power/name recognition on the card (an event with lots of current/former UFC or PRIDE guys is more likely to be chosen, as is an event with a lot of fighters who most MMA fans recognize). The next 2 Strikeforce cards are good examples-the next one wasn't chosen because it had maybe 2 fighters most fans know by name (Bob Sapp and Joe Riggs), while the next one after that could be loaded-Frank Shamrock, Cung Le, Riggs again, Gina Carano, Paul Buentello, among others.

Right, but Cage Rage is up there and Ken Shamrock is really the only well known fighter on that card. So I don't understand why Strikeforce which has Sapp, Riggs, and Maurice Smith on the card or IFL which has guys like Fabiano Scherner, Josh Haynes, and Pat Healy on the card aren't up there as well?
Svartorm
2/23/08 3:38:52AM
This is basically what we look for in a card for the Secondary league.

1. Fighters that people actually recognize in at least half the fights.

2. Competetive fights, where the well-known guys AREN'T fighting cans, so theres actually a challenge to making picks for the event.

3. Having a full card up well in advance of the event.

4. Stability in the fight card, so we don't have to change it constantly before the event.

Strikeforce failed this weekend on points 2 and 3. Plus we're doing some site work right now before the new season starts in Secondary League and it wasn't going to be done in time for this event anyways.

As for the IFL card, it might be included if the work is done, but we're cutting it close, and the card isn't all that strong, so we'll see.

Cage Rage is up there because they pack their cards with good match-ups, and most of the fighters are popular outside the US. We have a TON of guys from the UK on this site and we like to represent that with Cage Rage. About half the fights on that card are from fairly well-known fighters if you follow international MMA, and they have the full card up WAY before the event, which gives the player not familiar with Cage Rage plenty of time to look into the bouts.

If anyone sees an event they think should be included in Secondary League, just make a thread, including the fight card, in the MMA Playground Game Talk forum and we'll look over and it decide if we want to add it or not.
Franklinfan47
2/23/08 10:17:07AM

Posted by Svartorm

This is basically what we look for in a card for the Secondary league.

1. Fighters that people actually recognize in at least half the fights.

2. Competetive fights, where the well-known guys AREN'T fighting cans, so theres actually a challenge to making picks for the event.

3. Having a full card up well in advance of the event.

4. Stability in the fight card, so we don't have to change it constantly before the event.

Strikeforce failed this weekend on points 2 and 3. Plus we're doing some site work right now before the new season starts in Secondary League and it wasn't going to be done in time for this event anyways.

As for the IFL card, it might be included if the work is done, but we're cutting it close, and the card isn't all that strong, so we'll see.

Cage Rage is up there because they pack their cards with good match-ups, and most of the fighters are popular outside the US. We have a TON of guys from the UK on this site and we like to represent that with Cage Rage. About half the fights on that card are from fairly well-known fighters if you follow international MMA, and they have the full card up WAY before the event, which gives the player not familiar with Cage Rage plenty of time to look into the bouts.

If anyone sees an event they think should be included in Secondary League, just make a thread, including the fight card, in the MMA Playground Game Talk forum and we'll look over and it decide if we want to add it or not.

Thanks