Question about UFC Rules

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Question about UFC Rules
pinoymixplaya
6/16/09 1:07:06PM
So I have been a pretty huge MMA fan for a while and out of the blue today, my girlfriend asks me if tickling is illegal in the UFC. So out of curiosity I looked at the rules in the UFC website and nothing is mentioned about tickling.

Is a fighter allowed to tickle his opponent? Haha another aspect of MMA that has yet to be utilized..
seanfu
6/16/09 1:12:07PM

Posted by pinoymixplaya

So I have been a pretty huge MMA fan for a while and out of the blue today, my girlfriend asks me if tickling is illegal in the UFC. So out of curiosity I looked at the rules in the UFC website and nothing is mentioned about tickling.

Is a fighter allowed to tickle his opponent? Haha another aspect of MMA that has yet to be utilized..

"Tickling is one of the most underutilized moves in mma" - Joe Rogan
pinoymixplaya
6/16/09 1:13:33PM
Right? Joe Rogan would say something like that. As he should..Look it up for yourselves, under Learn UFC, there's the rules...no tickling mentioned.
Jackelope
6/16/09 1:16:30PM
Against the rules? No. Effective? No.

There are certain techniques that could be "likened" to tickling, I guess. For example, when fighting for wrist control you can deliberately shake one hand violently for a moment only to rip the other hand free immediately afterward. This is a form of a "distraction" technique sort of like tickling could be referred to as.

Honestly, though, I don't think getting tickled would ever work in grappling. I've never had someone try it on me, but your mind is so focused on the task at hand, and your body is so dull to sensations that it couldn't possibly work.
fizzle
6/16/09 1:17:56PM
Well ya never know, lmao i think i would die of laughter if I saw someone going for a heel hook and instead opting to tickle the bottom of their foot... submission via tickling... now that would be something to see!
babytater03
6/16/09 1:38:41PM
if i saw a guy tickling another guy i think i'd fall out of my seat laughing.

then again, Randy did spank Tito...so who knows. I wouldn't count it out.
slapshot
6/16/09 2:26:51PM
OMG I hope Forrest Griffin dose not read your post, ROFL seems like something his goofy a*s would do, and dont say its not because all bets are off after you've spooned inside a cage.

I have a second question, a wile back someone provided a link to the Judging criteria for MMA bouts and I must have deleted it from my favorites.

Anyone have a link to the official NSAC criteria? I can find user posts in several forums with quotes from it but I would like to view the actual document, if anyone can find it thanks you in advance.

P.S. I also think it would be helpfully if we had a tab here that has the unified rules for MMA and the differences between say shooto K-1 and UFC bouts.

If a event is held on a Indian reservation or in Hawaii the rules can be completely different than the unified MMA rules.

DCRage
6/16/09 2:28:39PM
Don't have time to look it up right now, but check the NSAC's website, boxing.nv.gov.
ncordless
6/16/09 3:06:54PM
For "tickling" to be effective, the "ticklee" must not feel that he/she is in danger.

Try it. Corner a stranger in an alley and start tickling them. They will not laugh at all.
Kpro
6/16/09 3:17:15PM

Posted by slapshot

I have a second question, a wile back someone provided a link to the Judging criteria for MMA bouts and I must have deleted it from my favorites.

Anyone have a link to the official NSAC criteria? I can find user posts in several forums with quotes from it but I would like to view the actual document, if anyone can find it thanks you in advance.

I posted this about 3 weeks ago after the Hughes/Serra fight:

Here are the NSAC rules for those interested.

In section E, Clean Strikes/Effective Grappling take higher precedence depending on if the fight is mainly up or down (3 minutes down, 2 minutes up equals 60% weight to Effective Grappling and 40% weight to Clean Strikes, etc.).

Octagon Control ALWAYS comes behind those two in the official judging criteria. Effective Aggressiveness is ALWAYS weighted the lowest among the judges criteria.

Getting stuffed on a shot is NOT effective aggression or octagon control; stuffing a shot IS octagon control.

Just a quick refresher on rules for those that don't know.

Make your own decisions about that 3rd round.

VIII. JUDGES

A. No judge will have a financial interest in any fighter he judges.

B. No judge will be a manager/trainer of any fighter he judges.

C. In a bout goes to it's full time limit, the outcome will be decided by a majority decision of
three, (3), MMAC judges.

D. A judge is accredited, sanctioned and selected based upon his character, experience, stature in the MMA world, knowledge of MMA systems and impartiality.

E. Judging Criteria
1. Judges are required to determine the winner of a bout that goes to it's full time limit based upon the following criteria:
-Clean Strikes
-Effective Grappling
-Octagon Control
-Effective Aggressiveness

F. Clean Strikes
1. The fighter who is landing both effective and efficient clean strikes.
2. There are two ways of measuring strikes:
-the total number of clean strikes landed (more efficient)
-the total number of heavy strikes landed (more effective)

G. The heavier striker who lands with efficiency, deserves more credit from the Judges than total number landed.
1. If the striking power between the fighters was equal, then the total number landed would be used as the criteria.
2. The total number of strikes landed, should be of sufficient quantity favoring a fighter, to earn a winning round.

H. Strikes thrown from the top position of the guard, are generally heavier and more effective than those thrown from the back.
1. Thus a Judge shall recognize that effective strikes thrown from the top guard position are of "higher quality", than thrown from the bottom.
2. The Judge shall recognize that this is not always the case.
However, the vast majority of fighters prefer the top guard position to strike from. This is a strong indication of positional dominance for striking.

I. Effective Grappling
1. The Judge shall recognize the value of both the clean takedown and active guard position.
2. The Judge shall recognize that a fighter who is able to cleanly takedown his opponent, is effectively grappling.
3. A Judge shall recognize that a fighter on his back in an active guard position, can effectively grapple, through execution of repeated threatening attempts at submission and reversal resulting in continuous defense from the top fighter.
4. A Judge shall recognize that a fighter who maneuvers from guard to mount is effectively grappling.
5. A Judge shall recognize that the guard position alone shall be scored neutral or even, if none of the preceding situations were met.(items 2-4)
6. A Judge shall recognize that if the fighters remain in guard the majority of a round with neither fighter having an edge in clean striking or effective grappling, (items 2-4), the fighter who scored the clean takedown deserves the round.
7. A clean reversal is equal to a clean takedown in effective grappling

J. Octagon Control
1. The fighter who is dictating the pace, place and position of the fight.
2. A striker who fends off a grappler's takedown attempt to remain standing and effectively strike is octagon control.
3. A grappler who can takedown an effective standing striker to ground fight is octagon control.
4. The fighter on the ground who creates submission, mount or clean striking opportunities

K. Effective Aggressiveness
1. This simply means who is moving forward and finding success.(scoring)
2. Throwing a strike moving backwards is not as effective as a strike thrown moving forward.
3. Throwing strikes and not landing is not effective aggressiveness.
4. Moving forward and getting struck is not effective aggressiveness.
5. Shooting takedowns and getting countered and fended off is not effective aggressiveness.

L. Criteria Evaluation
1. Each judge is to evaluate which fighter was most effective. Thus striking and grappling skills are top priority.
2. Evaluating the criteria requires the use of a sliding scale. Fights can remain standing or grounded. Judges shall recognize that it isn't how long the fighters are standing or grounded, as to the scoring the fighters achieve ,while in those positions.
3. If 90% of the round is grounded one fighter on top, then:
-effective grappling is weighed first.
-clean striking is weighed next. If clean strikes scored in the round, the Judge shall factor it
in. Clean Striking can outweigh Effective Grappling while the fighters are grounded.
-octagon control is next (pace, place & position)

4. The same rational holds true if 90% of the round were standing. Thus:
-clean striking would be weighed first (fighter most effective)
-clean grappling second (any takedowns or effective clinching)
-octagon control which fighter maintained better position? Which fighter created the situations
that led to effective strikes?

5. If a round was 50% standing and 50% on the ground, then:
-clean striking and effective grappling are weighed more equally.
-octagon control would be factored next

6. In all three hypothetical situations, effective aggressiveness is factored in last. It is the
criteria of least importance. Since the definition calls for moving forward and scoring, it is
imperative for the Judges to look at the scoring first.

7. Thus for all Judges scoring UFC fights, the prioritized order of evaluating criteria is:
-clean strikes and effective grappling are weighed first.
-octagon control
-effective aggressiveness
M. Domination Criteria
1. A Judge may determine that a fighter dominated his opponent in a round. This can lead to a two point or more difference on a Judge's scorecard.
2. The definition of a dominating round is a fighter's ability to effectively strike, grapple and
control his opponent.
3. A Judge may determine a round was dominating if a fighter was adversely affected by one of the following:
-knocked down from standing position by clean strike
-by submission attempt
-from a throw
-from clean strikes either standing or grounded.

N. Judge's Scorecard Procedures
After each round:
1. each Judge will determine and record a score each round
2. a MMAC official will collect the scorecard after each round
3. the MMAC official will track and add each Judges score by round
4. If the fight goes the time limit, the MMAC official will add each Judge's scorecard and double check total
5. the fighter with the greater number of points wins the fight on each Judges scorecard
6. the fighter who won on the majority of the Judges Scorecards, wins the fight
7. the MMAC official will hand the decision to the PA announcer

O. Types of Judge's Decisions
1. If all three scorecards agree Unanimous
2. If two of three scorecards agree Split
3. Two scorecards agree and one draw Majority
4. two scorecards agree on draw Draw
5. all scorecards different Draw

emfleek
6/16/09 3:18:46PM
If I ever saw two grown men tickling each other while watching a UFC event, I'd never watch MMA again.
Kpro
6/16/09 3:28:06PM

Posted by emfleek

If I ever saw two grown men tickling each other while watching a UFC event, I'd never watch MMA again.

Even if they'd been training at it for years?
emfleek
6/16/09 4:02:26PM

Posted by Kpro

Even if they'd been training at it for years?

Well...maybe.

But they'd have to wear Aoki pants.
Franklinfan47
6/16/09 5:20:31PM
This thread tickles me.
slapshot
6/16/09 5:41:13PM
Kpro do you have a link to the site, Im looking for the actual document itself.
Kpro
6/16/09 6:54:35PM

Posted by slapshot

Kpro do you have a link to the site, Im looking for the actual document itself.

http://www.fcfighter.com/mmac9906.htm

http://onthemat.com/wiki/index.php/NSAC_MMA_Rules

If you want a link to the exact location ON the NSAC site? It's a hard site to navigate but the unarmed combat rules are section 467 if you want to find it on their site.
HMA123
6/16/09 8:01:20PM
If I were ever to get tickled while rolling with someone. Id probly laugh in a way "who the hell would do that", Lol.
Interesting topic tho.
RNC
6/17/09 12:18:46AM
You should talk to Couture. After all he spanked Tito, maybe you can get him to tickle Nog in their next fight.