Question on UFC rules

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Question on UFC rules
RMFG_187
4/2/08 10:43:12PM
okay, this is a bit hard 2 explain.

If the guy on top is standing, and the guy giving the armbar has nothing touching the ground (unlike the picture but i couldnt find one) can the one standing kick the opponent to the head?
owen1
4/2/08 11:00:15PM
Good question man i never tought of that.It would be difficult to kick someone like that but the rules say you cant kick to the head of a DOWNED opponent,so if hes not down it must be legal.
Rush
4/2/08 11:23:01PM
I think it's no different than a guy on his back or side. It would be illegal
RMFG_187
4/3/08 12:35:35AM
i meen if his head isn't touching the ground, and he is pretty much hanging by the opponents arm, just wondering if everyone got my question, and by the way thanks for the quick reply!
Svartorm
4/3/08 4:12:24AM
I think it would be legal, but more or less physically impossible. It takes tremendous strength to hold a guy up like that, and taking your leg off the floor to kick the guy more than likely means you're hitting the ground.

By the strict definition of the rules though, hes not downed, and it would be the same as kicking a guy in the face who was doing a jumpkick or something.
hails
4/3/08 8:28:37AM
I agree!!!

It would be so hard to lift a guy, then take one leg off the ground and kick him!!!

Try and do it, too hard to do man!!!

Just slam him down might work better, or carry him to your corner for advice!!!
casey64
4/3/08 9:59:03AM

Posted by Svartorm

I think it would be legal, but more or less physically impossible. It takes tremendous strength to hold a guy up like that, and taking your leg off the floor to kick the guy more than likely means you're hitting the ground.

By the strict definition of the rules though, hes not downed, and it would be the same as kicking a guy in the face who was doing a jumpkick or something.

kMMAs
4/3/08 9:59:53AM
agreed. probably legal, but no way your holding a guys body weight plus the force of him yanking down your arm, while on one foot. Even if you could balance the weight, how hard of a kick could you even throw without offsetting you balance even more.

Good question though, it would be interesting to see.
Rush
4/3/08 10:32:11AM
I don't know. I thought about whether or not it would be physically possible to do and I came to the conclusion that it could be done.... and with ease too. If a guy is hanging off my left arm, I am pretty sure the weight distribution would favour kicking with your right leg. I think it's more about weight distribution than strength

However, what I think would be difficult is chambering for a kick and the kick might look and be more like a stomp, which would make it illegal.
RMFG_187
4/3/08 8:53:41PM
i feel that it would be possible to do, but very easy to lose balance. i got the idea from watching one of the Ultimate Fighter fights the other night, and the guy was hanging by the opponents arm, with his head 1/2 feet off the ground, and he was hanging there for like 1-2 seconds, so i thought why doesnt he kick him.

thanks again for all the answers, who knows, we might see it happen sometime.
Rush
4/4/08 12:10:15AM
If I had a training partner, I would give it a shot and see. Alas, all my old training partners are not around and using the wife is not an option.
Svartorm
4/4/08 3:26:49PM
Part of it being "physically impossible" though is the fact you'd have to keep them completely off the ground. It wouldn't be hard if you could set their head down on the mat to chamber for the kick, but keeping your balance while holding them up completely off the ground is just not happening.
bayonetxwork
4/4/08 3:55:52PM

Posted by Svartorm

Yep physics tells you when that guys trying to rip your arm off your center of gravity is wayyyy off, but you have both legs down as a base so your body can adjust. If you lift one of your legs up, you're gonna fall over, end of story.
Blackacolyte26
4/19/08 11:23:57AM
I agree, it should still be legal
tsuwrestler157
4/23/08 10:25:40AM
i dont know how effective it would be but what if you leaned him on the fence and tryed ur miracle kick i believe it would work just i dont think u will have ne power in it unless ur wicked diesel strong lol