Question About The Randy/Brock Fight

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Question About The Randy/Brock Fight
Copenhagen
9/9/08 4:59:59PM
Is this a title fight?
SmileR
9/9/08 5:04:41PM
It sure is. The winner of this gets the winner of Mir vs Nog for the undisputed HW title.
Hope that clears it up man. I;ll dig about for the article. Its on here somewhere!
ziegler3334
9/9/08 5:05:56PM
kind of....

brock and randy are fighting in nov.
nog and mir are fighting in dec.
then the two winners will square off sometime early in 09 for the belt.

i'm guessing that the fights will both be 5 rounds. probably for the HW and interim HW belt, with the belts united at the final in 09.
Copenhagen
9/9/08 5:07:51PM
Wow, then it's true the HW division is in shambles. Champ fights guy with 1-1 record in the UFC instead of fighting interim champ.

nickcuc547
9/9/08 5:09:53PM
imo this should be the first fight in a heavyweight title tournament. I know it's a moot point because it pretty much is a tournament, but I just don't think the winner of this fight deserves the title of champion.
Bowen50
9/9/08 5:11:23PM

Posted by Copenhagen

Wow, then it's true the HW division is in shambles. Champ fights guy with 1-1 record in the UFC instead of fighting interim champ.

well Randy came back and they never stripped his title while he was away. also they can't just call off the Nog Vs. Mir fight after going through a whole season of TUF for the very reason of hyping up that fight. like Dana said it's somewhat of a heavyweight tournament right now. i'm just happy Randy's back.
DoTheMMAth
9/9/08 6:32:43PM
It's more like an unofficial tournament I am guessing...

1) UFC does Randy and Brock, winner is called interim HW champ

2) UFC does a season of TUF, hypes and promote Mir vs Nog, winner is called interim HW champ #2

3) Winner of #1 and #2 fight and they hype the whole "undisputed" aspect of holding the belt.

4) Nog retains his belt
mkiv9secsupra
9/9/08 7:07:33PM
They should just give Randy a fight with Fedor instead of making Randy lose and potentially ruining any marketing for the fight, but that is a good idea as a pre-emptive strke against Affliction.

Any way this goes Nogueira comes out with the title and all the casual fans will say he could beat that short chubby affliction champ....
DJDark41
9/9/08 7:13:31PM
Two great fighters, facing two people who don't even deserve to be in title contention. Is Dana White getting a little desperate for new match-ups?
nickcuc547
9/9/08 7:50:23PM

Posted by DJDark41

Two great fighters, facing two people who don't even deserve to be in title contention. Is Dana White getting a little desperate for new match-ups?

lesnar may not deserve to be in title contention, but now that he is you have to admit his chances of winning this fight are pretty good.
jocka
9/9/08 8:40:36PM

Posted by DJDark41

Who else deserves it plsu am ready to bet that the Randy / Lesnar fight will beat their ppv record honeslty Lesnar is so marketable, all the fans from wrestling buying the ppv because of him. I don't even need to talk about people loving randy so this fight is a huge paycheck and a nre influx of fan for the UFC. it is the smart thing to do
DJDark41
9/9/08 9:00:09PM

Posted by jocka

Posted by DJDark41

Who else deserves it plsu am ready to bet that the Randy / Lesnar fight will beat their ppv record honeslty Lesnar is so marketable, all the fans from wrestling buying the ppv because of him. I don't even need to talk about people loving randy so this fight is a huge paycheck and a nre influx of fan for the UFC. it is the smart thing to do

So, its now all about money rather then the best fights. Sure, Randy vs Lesnar is marketable but that doesn't mean its going to be a good fight. If the UFC was smart, it would've been Couture/Nog as the coaches on TUF, then fighting for the undisputed belt at a PPV to be named later. But, now that the UFC wants to just do everything NOW with whoever is "hot," instead of waiting a little while and getting a good deal settled with Couture, they now have two fighters who haven't proven themselves title worthy, fighting for the title.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
9/9/08 9:36:28PM

Posted by DJDark41

Posted by jocka

Posted by DJDark41

So, its now all about money rather then the best fights. Sure, Randy vs Lesnar is marketable but that doesn't mean its going to be a good fight. If the UFC was smart, it would've been Couture/Nog as the coaches on TUF, then fighting for the undisputed belt at a PPV to be named later. But, now that the UFC wants to just do everything NOW with whoever is "hot," instead of waiting a little while and getting a good deal settled with Couture, they now have two fighters who haven't proven themselves title worthy, fighting for the title.

The UFC has always been about money. I dont know why anyone is sour over this situation. We get a HW tournament , consisting of three 5 round fights. IF the two fighters aren't worthy of fighting for the title , they wont win. It's as simple as that.
JohnnyNapalm
9/10/08 3:10:23AM

Posted by Copenhagen

Is this a title fight?

Yes.

The winner can make claim to the title of being the second best HW in the world.

stock
9/10/08 9:48:07AM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

Posted by DJDark41

Posted by jocka

Posted by DJDark41

The UFC has always been about money. I dont know why anyone is sour over this situation. We get a HW tournament , consisting of three 5 round fights. IF the two fighters aren't worthy of fighting for the title , they wont win. It's as simple as that.

That is why the UFC does not have an official ranking system. Their intention is to put on the fights that will generate the most money.

I think we all win with a 4-man tourney for the undisputed belt. I think the only guy who loses is probably Werdum who probably would have been next in line for a title shot after Nog/Mir.