Question about Ortiz vs Machida

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Question about Ortiz vs Machida
Mchubb316
4/20/08 9:54:32PM
Why would the UFC have Tito fight one of their top level LHW that is in contention for a title shot soon if they know before hand that Tito is not going to resign with them. I think Machida will beat Tito, but Tito winning is possible. This to me does not make sense unless the UFC thinks they still can resign Tito.
chubbud22
4/20/08 10:02:08PM
I agree its pretty risky, but mabee the UFC thinks Machida will emerass Tito, or mabee the UFC just wants to put on quality fights for us; the fans to enjoy LOL
Twenty20Dollars
4/20/08 10:10:25PM
why not make this fight, tito sells tickets and machida is on the rise.

tito wins it via tko or decision and leaves UFC on a high note. i usually dont pick tito to win this will be the first time, im hoping he just smashes machida and makes him look like crap. go tito!
Mchubb316
4/20/08 10:15:18PM
They let Sylvia go with 1 fight left on his contract. Why not put him against an up and coming HW. If the UFC is using Tito to sell tickets, they could have used Sylvia to sell tickets one more time. Sylvia does not have the following that Tito has but with the weak HW division the UFC needs all the help they can get. I don't know if Tito has a clause in his contract that they can't let him go until he is through with his contract. I'm just curious as why they couldn't have used Sylvia the same way they are using Tito?
Twenty20Dollars
4/20/08 10:42:09PM
tim cant sell tickets.
mrsmiley
4/20/08 10:46:43PM
Theirs always the possiblilty Tito won't leave.Remeber the first time he left?He ended up at TNA wrestling.He quickly came back to the UFC.
chubbud22
4/20/08 11:18:45PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

tim cant sell tickets.

He is a bigger draw than any other heavy weight the UFC has right now; its not that deep of a division if you did not know that already.
kevietre
4/20/08 11:28:57PM

Posted by chubbud22

tim cant sell tickets.

He is a bigger draw than any other heavy weight the UFC has right now; its not that deep of a division if you did not know that already.

I hate to say it but Brock Lesnar is the biggest heavyweight draw just because of his celebrity status. I think more people tuned into UFC 81 to see him fight instead of Tim.
Rush
4/20/08 11:49:05PM
A win for Machida will put him (more so) on the map with casual UFC fans.
A win for Tito will mean little to the UFC whether he leaves or not

Either way it is a no lose situation for the UFC.
chubbud22
4/20/08 11:57:35PM

Posted by kevietre

Posted by chubbud22

tim cant sell tickets.

I hate to say it but Brock Lesnar is the biggest heavyweight draw just because of his celebrity status. I think more people tuned into UFC 81 to see him fight instead of Tim.

You got me there.
tepid55
4/21/08 12:15:33AM
I think Machida will have a tough fight.
EON
4/21/08 12:30:53AM
dana wants tito to lose and he is going to lose in embarressing fashion, i dont know why everyone is denying lyoto of #1, maybe the destruction of tito ONCE AGAIN will show how great lyoto is (or for lyoto haters how overrated tito is)
bigbubbano23
4/21/08 1:24:53AM
i think tito is going to win by decsion. and as far as this match goes i think they made it to test machada and not so much help tito any.
bam383
4/21/08 3:02:01AM
Someone pretty much said what I'm thinking, but whether Machida wins or loses, it's going to be a plus for the UFC. Well, unless Tito totally embarrasses him. Machida is fighting one of the biggest names in MMA of all time which is going to get him instant credibility from a big block of fans. If he goes out there and wins, then he just beat a legend and it's time push him towards a title shot.
thisbeme
4/21/08 5:38:52AM
my guess would be to have Machida up agianst a big name that way if he wins (which he most likely will) he'll have better recognition throughout the fans and not just die hard fans who, like myself, already know that he is a top contender