Question to other lanky long limbed grapplers.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Question to other lanky long limbed grapplers.
Believe-in-judo81
8/3/07 10:53:03PM
Hey guys, is it just me or or does it seem to be much easier to sweep/ stand up from a butterfly guard? It really lets me better use my long legs to create space and push off to stand or use my leg strength and hip movement to sweep guys more easily. Also, since I have lost a lot of flexibility and am currently having trouble with rubber guard it's become my go-to guard for subs from the bottom. It's not quite as easy for triangle setups as Rubber guard but they are still a cinch, and i can hit quick armbars without any real fuss as well.

Any of you other lanky guys find it much easier to quickly transition from/work in this guard?
gspgnp
8/4/07 11:45:25AM
I'm not tall and lanky but I do find it A LOT easier to transition to leglocks as well as armbars and sweeps from the butterfly guard. It creates the space you need to work comfortably without having to worry as much about defense as you would from the guard.
fedorwins1
8/4/07 12:55:55PM
Damn tall people are lucky. I hate being in a lanky person's guard and also if I have side mount the can get back to half guard of full guard easily, but that's mostly my fault I have to work on that.
bayonetxwork
8/4/07 8:00:07PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Damn tall people are lucky. I hate being in a lanky person's guard and also if I have side mount the can get back to half guard of full guard easily, but that's mostly my fault I have to work on that.

Well your new, so it will come over time. When you feel his hips turning to sneak a knee under you, don't be scared to transition to north/south to protect your position.

anyways, I love butterfly guard mostly for sweeps. switch into a half butterfly guard, trap his arm and roll.