Question about 'Hot Bout' in upcoming Sec. League event...

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » Question about 'Hot Bout' in upcoming Sec. League event...
npayant
2/15/08 1:17:36PM
Right now the hot bout event is on a couple of no-name guys, both with 1-0 records. It's basically a crap shoot to figure out who is going to win.
Whoever picks this fight right is for the most part lucky... agree?

Right now the picks are 63% Bernhard and 37% Borgomeo

A couple of other fights have almost as close as picks with guys that people can at least research about:

Herman 64% - Rinaldi 36%

AND (even better)

Silva 67% - Rodriguez 33%

Can one of those fights be the 'hot bout'?? I believe this is the last event for season 2 on the Sec. League and it would be a shame for guys vying for the top positions to lose out just because they picked the wrong guy in the current hot bout (that really no one knows anything about)

Does anyone agree with me?
stock
2/15/08 1:34:25PM
Not sure I agree that a rehall of the rules needs to be done here.
Whenever the picks are split almost dead even, then it is automatically made into a Hot Bout.
Maybe this is a good chance to do some research on 2 relatively unknown fighters to make sure an educated "guess" is made.

Just my opinion.
I can see your point though.
DustinT
2/15/08 1:34:40PM
forgive me if this is a stupid question as i've never bet odds anywhere...but how are you figuring out the precentages of people's picks so far?
npayant
2/15/08 1:38:56PM

Posted by stock

Not sure I agree that a rehall of the rules needs to be done here.
Whenever the picks are split almost dead even, then it is automatically made into a Hot Bout.
Maybe this is a good chance to do some research on 2 relatively unknown fighters to make sure an educated "guess" is made.

Just my opinion.
I can see your point though.

This definitely wouldn't be "a rehall of the rules"

Taken from the "Website Rules" link:

"The fight which has the closest number of people picking each combatant as the winner is named the "hot bout", thus you are rewarded for "seeing through the hype" to accurately know who will win a contested matchup. The "hot bout" for an event will have its point totals doubled. Note: In the event that the "hot bout" is on the undercard of an event, another fight that is running close in picks from the main card may be selected as the "hot bout" by the administration. "

Notice the last sentence of this paragraph. I'm definitely not asking the website to change there own rules!
npayant
2/15/08 1:41:54PM

Posted by DustinT

forgive me if this is a stupid question as i've never bet odds anywhere...but how are you figuring out the precentages of people's picks so far?

If you go to the Secondary League and then click on "Stats per Event," you'll be able to see the "Pick Overview" for each event.
wolfman
2/15/08 1:55:00PM
I agree with npayant. I see what both sides are saying, but I've been trying to dig up some information on the current hot bout fight and I can't find out anything on these guys. I agree, that the guy favored now should win. However, they both have only one professional fight and I am only ASSUMING the guy who is favored to win, because the opponent he faced at least had some fights under his belt. Borgomeo, on the other hand has only one fight as well and his first opponent was just as green.

EDIT: Correction, I was able to find out some info on these guys. However, it still is flip of the coin pick. If the hot bout changes or doesn't change I am fine with it, I just think that npayant does bring up a valid point.
tuvok500
2/15/08 3:17:30PM
Tomorrow Elite/XC event is live on fight network at 10 pm !!

I don't want to start a new post only for that so i posted it here !!

wolfman
2/15/08 3:34:50PM

Posted by tuvok500

Tomorrow Elite/XC event is live on fight network at 10 pm !!

I don't want to start a new post only for that so i posted it here !!

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked for this card. It's not a great card per say, but it should be an entertaining night of fights. I really enjoy watching Yves Edwards. He was one of the first fighters I saw fight when I started watching MMA and he is still one of my favorite fighters. I wonder how he'll do tomorrow though, he has lost some steam over the years. It's cool that he is fighting Edson Berto from the RFC, he is a local star around here. I saw him fight live and he is pretty tough, should be a war. Also, I am excited for the Noke/Smith fight. Noke is no joke (no pun intended), he is an up and coming star and should be in the UFC.
DustinT
2/15/08 5:18:29PM
the fights tomorrow are big for me.
i need to come up big to place top ten in the season after bombing the m-1 and ifl ones previously.

blah.
oh the stress.
npayant
2/16/08 12:13:29PM
No one who can actually do anything about this has ANY thoughts??
missypie
2/17/08 1:01:17AM
That hot bout between the 1-0 guys totally cost me 2nd place.
npayant
2/17/08 1:13:57AM

Posted by missypie

That hot bout between the 1-0 guys totally cost me 2nd place.

Damn...I'm sorry dude. I knew this was going to cost a few people!! To pick either of these guys took know skill in research... it was pure LUCK and I just don't think an event should be based on luck.

It's been brought up before that a 22 point swing (which this could have been for a number of guys) is just too much, especially when it takes absolutely NO skill to get the 'hot bout' right. Whoever picked this fight right got lucky! And if Bernhard would have won...it would have been lucky for the guys who picked him as well.

I do think the 'hot bout' issue needs to be addressed in the upcoming seasons... just my opinion. I know a lot of people disagree. But this is a prime example of something that needs to be looked in to.
Svartorm
2/17/08 3:08:23AM
I don't have access to the hot bout, so not much I can do about it myself. I'll run it by the bossman to see if he can't rig up a control for it.
LightsOut33093
2/17/08 9:53:13AM
yea, it might've cost me a better spot too, i picked the fight wrong, finished 9th overall in the whole season though
missypie
2/17/08 10:47:47AM
Yeah I ended up fifth. Oh well, I did do research and Bernhard was in his hometown and had a big size advantage. I'll take 5th though without any shame
npayant
2/17/08 11:26:42AM
Good job guys and THANKS Svartorm for looking into it.

I was thinking....I guess luck should be a least a little part of this game, so I guess it's OK. I just thought in this particuliar case it would have been better to put the hot bout on a fight that people at least knew something about (or could find something about them). I thought it would kind of stink to lose your whole season's work due to a fight on the last event that was a crap shoot to pick. It's OK though! Good season 2!!!
dinex
2/17/08 1:15:57PM
That hot bout cost me the #1 .

I think the hot bouts should be from the main card. This game is luck-based enough as it is with all the unknown undercard-guys that basically noone has seen.