Question about Getting promoted in BJJ

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Question about Getting promoted in BJJ
ufc88
5/14/08 2:56:13AM
to those people who are experienced in BJJ, how long does it generally take to get promoted from white belt to blue belt if you're learning fast. I'm talking about under a legitimate system such as BTT or Gracie jiu jitsu, or an organization of that nature. thanks a lot.
Kpro
5/14/08 3:00:17AM
I haven't actually trained JJ but I have heard multiple times that with hard work one can get their blue belt in about a year, and every other belt afterwards generally takes 2+ depending on the person.
Jackelope
5/14/08 3:53:59AM
I've never trained in a belt oriented JJ school. Mine have always been no gi with no ranking system.

In all honesty even though it is slightly off topic I feel at this point in my life that belts are highly overrated. I used to be very belt-oriented in my training, and I feel because of that philosophy I wasn't focusing on what was important. I know many-a-lower-belt in many-a-style that can kick the crap out of higher belts. In today's martial arts world more often than not a belt doesn't mean much since there are so many McDojo's out there.

Now that I train places where belts aren't even part of the system I appreciate the learning experience ten times more.
ufc88
5/14/08 4:11:00AM
well i dont train at a mcdojo i train at a BTT affiliated school and belts make a huge difference. a blue belt would destroy a while belt. so on and so fourth
bayonetxwork
5/14/08 10:15:30AM
I'd say about a year and a half if you're learning fast, and putting in a lot of work. Not only are most belts based on your technique its also based on how many hours of class you train at. From what I've heard if you are entering tournaments in your division and doing very well consistently that dramatically improves the chances of you being promoted...
Jackelope
5/14/08 1:44:42PM

Posted by bayonetxwork

I'd say about a year and a half if you're learning fast, and putting in a lot of work. Not only are most belts based on your technique its also based on how many hours of class you train at. From what I've heard if you are entering tournaments in your division and doing very well consistently that dramatically improves the chances of you being promoted...

This is definitely true. Not only does it show competence in your technique, but it shows you are representing your school and the art well. Most teachers will appreciate this
Rush
5/14/08 3:26:59PM
Arg, I asked a very similar question two days ago and the thread was largely ignored. So annoying.

As far as the importance of belts goes... In my aikido school, belts are important for beginners in order for them to find the most senior people in the class to work with.
The-Don
5/14/08 6:51:42PM
I feel belts can be deceptive... In a good school and not a Black belt factory belts mean alot... As stated it can allow newer students a quick ranking system so they know who to go to for help. At the same time many new students shy away from going to a higher belt for fear of being beaten. I persoanlly always tried to find the highest ranked person I could to work with.

AS for the topic I am a related question. AS someone who has studied tradational jujitsu, and have done alot of training is it possible to go to a BJJ and get tested to see how my skills actually measure up. I know I have gaps in my training but I honestly do not know how my skills measure up. I am not opposed to starting out as a white belt... but I already know I am well above white belt just not sure where I fit in.. I was once wearing a brown belt for a tourney many many moons ago... but I did not keep it as I felt I did not earn it. but I would like to get tested to see where I fit in.
The_Ho_Bag
5/14/08 9:35:58PM
the BJJ school around my where i live its under the Kioto system( Grand master Mansur who is a 9th degree red belt under helio gracie) i spoke to a guy who is a 3rd degree blue and has been training for almost 4 yrs so like they said diff school do it differently
hails
5/14/08 10:29:14PM
BJ Penn got his after 3 years!!!

From what people are saying, he must be really good at BJJ!!!

Not got enough at 170 though!!!
kMMAs
5/15/08 8:34:09AM
If your are training HARD (at leats 5 days a week) Id say a year and a half is reasonable. some people it takes 2-3...It really depends on the person and how hard you work. Someone mentioned BJ Penn...He is an exception by far, Hence his nickname "the prodigy"...So you can't use him for any example except an amazing talent in BJJ.

Someone also mentioned that belts aren't as important or that people look to that too much as a goal or whatever, I believe this may be true in "karate" classes and yes in a "McDojo", where you get promoted based on the amount of time you spent there etc.. ..But in a REAL BJJ school, that is not the case AT ALL. You could be a white belt for 10 years if your not ready for blue, and belts are not the focus at all. You Train. Period. Belts are not often discussed. You train. You compete. And when your instructor thinks you are ready, you will get a promotion.

Competition does help, as it gauges you against the same belt ranks of other schools. But like I said, at a good school, you are going to just keep trying to improve your game, and the belts will come when deserved.

But your main question....Id say with 5 day a week classes, plus some open mat time, and maybe a few privates, 1.5 years is possible, but dont aim for anything. Just train. If you have holes in your game, work on them. Remeber, the basic techniques dont really get any harder as you go up in belt rank (with a few fancy exceptions), its just how much better you apply them, how well you transistion, and how you flow with offense and defense. Even the Mudials usually end with nothing more than an armbar, traingle, RNC...ect...Just applied perfectly...