Question about different heavy bags

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Question about different heavy bags
DGradwohl
9/10/07 9:11:04PM
Hi, im fairly new to MMA and I feel its time to invest in a heavy bag. The problem is I dont know what to look for in a bag. Ive gotten decent on my speed bag, and ive been practicing combinations and power as much as I can on it, but I am sure I could really benifit from having a heavy bag to work on as well.

Im 6' 0" 140lbs... and ive picked out a couple bags that interest me, I would really appreciate it if you more experienced guys could give me some pros and cons of them, as well as what they would suggest buying.

I plan on training all sorts of striking on the bag including kicks and knees.

Bags
Bag #1
Bag #2

Thanks in advance for any/all feedback

fullerene
9/11/07 8:41:33AM
A few questions:

1) Do you have a place to hang these? (enough space and structural support)

2) Will you be kicking the bag as well as punching it?

3) Would you want to get two bags if they were both useful for different things?
Mastodon2
9/11/07 10:11:44AM
The problem here is that there is no single bag that can do everything for MMA.

Bag one looks like a good all rounder, it looks nice and long, so you can practice low, mid and high striking. Bag 2 looks nicely shaped for clinching and kneeing, but is not long enough to practice low kicks on, which are something you will definitely want to practice.

Bag 2 will not be suitable as a grappling dummy, and bag 1 is not ideal either, but will be better than bag 2. The best option I would say, would be to get a bag like bag 1, its a good all rounder, and you can practice a full arsenal of strikes on it, even if its not the ideal shape for knees, it will work. If you could later buy a grappling dummy for practising your GnP too that would be a good route to go down.

I'm going to get one of these some time. Since Im a Thai boxer, I don't need to worry about grappling dummies, and this imo, is the single best thing for striking practice, since they look and feel so realistic

BOB bag
Omega
9/11/07 11:32:13AM

Posted by Mastodon2

The problem here is that there is no single bag that can do everything for MMA.

Bag one looks like a good all rounder, it looks nice and long, so you can practice low, mid and high striking. Bag 2 looks nicely shaped for clinching and kneeing, but is not long enough to practice low kicks on, which are something you will definitely want to practice.

Bag 2 will not be suitable as a grappling dummy, and bag 1 is not ideal either, but will be better than bag 2. The best option I would say, would be to get a bag like bag 1, its a good all rounder, and you can practice a full arsenal of strikes on it, even if its not the ideal shape for knees, it will work. If you could later buy a grappling dummy for practising your GnP too that would be a good route to go down.

I'm going to get one of these some time. Since Im a Thai boxer, I don't need to worry about grappling dummies, and this imo, is the single best thing for striking practice, since they look and feel so realistic

BOB bag

I'm sorry dude but I hate those bob bags. I can't hit one without busting up laughing.

Here's my suggestion:

http://www.combatsports.com/detail.aspx?ID=22875
fullerene
9/11/07 12:06:14PM
Well, I'll just make some assumptions (btw, I've used both types of bags before):

Bag 1 is a good bag if you have the room. It's 100 pounds and long--which means you can throw low kicks and it won't move too much if you throw hard front or side kicks into it.

Bag 2 is only 60 pounds and it's shape is not conducive to kicking. I can't see it being used as a very good grappling dummy either because of the weight and shape. It's basically a "punching" bag only. The odd shape of it is very good for throwing uppercuts and hooks to the body--better than a normal bag or one like Bag 1. When I did station work (rotating to different exercises/equipment) at a gym that had a bag like that, we were told to focus on body work on the station with that bag.

So IMO, bag 1>bag 2. But bag 1 + bag 2 > either on their own.

I don't mind BOB type bags. They aren't as good IMO, but they are so much easier to find room for and transport in a home gym that it sometimes makes up for it.
loonytnt
9/11/07 12:32:14PM
just buy a 100lb bag, that will make you hit it hard to move it and as for different ones i dont think it matters to much, if you are the only one hitting it, if you got ppl hittin on it all the time 5 or 6 hrs a day id go with a big that cost a lil more but if it is only you i just buy one that works and feels good to you
Mastodon2
9/11/07 2:04:34PM
I like the BOB bags, they are more realistic than kicking a tubular bag, espescially for head kicks, and I find they move less than other freestanding bags. Granted, a teep, lance or spinning back kick will move it, but that will happen with any freestanding target, The benefit is they are easier to store and dont need a mounting.

But like I say, BOB bags are more appropriate for kickboxers and Thai boxers like myself, since they are not good for grappling.
fedorwins1
9/11/07 6:26:55PM
Don't get a TKO bag that's for sure! I got one a few years ago and I saw something about them being stuffed with old clothes! I opened mine up and of course there were hundreds of pairs of clothes from Good Will and some of them had pins in them! It was a big bag for a good price and now I know why
casey64
9/12/07 9:03:43PM
Bag 2 is huge
slamdunk
9/14/07 8:09:05PM
im thinkin of investing in one of the free standing bags

does any1 have any info about them i.e: gd or bad?
Omega
9/16/07 2:23:47PM

Posted by slamdunk

Wavemasters in general suck and are not really worth the money if you're doing serious training. If it's for a simple workout then fine.
slamdunk
9/27/07 6:39:59AM
ok cheers omega
could u recomend any gd brands
mrliquid
10/13/07 10:04:56AM
Everlast makes good bags u can get hanging ones and standing ones that weigh up to 240 pounds at sports authority stores
cmill21
10/13/07 1:12:10PM

Posted by Omega

Posted by slamdunk

Wavemasters in general suck and are not really worth the money if you're doing serious training. If it's for a simple workout then fine.

I can vouch I had one a while back, I ended up breaking it with a high kick....It was held on by little plastic divits, not very sturdy.
Ultimate_fighter
10/13/07 10:09:26PM
I recomend the UFC Store on ufc.com.....

They sell grappling bags and awesome looking UFC punching Bags, they even have the century UFC Fight gloves!!
Mastodon2
10/14/07 6:49:32AM
Yeah but that stuff is most likely just low quality tat being churned out with the UFC name on it so brand loyal fan boys buy it. Stick with real, established brands if you want reliability, quality and the assurance that you are buying universally respected equipment.
Ultimate_fighter
10/14/07 4:18:27PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Yeah but that stuff is most likely just low quality tat being churned out with the UFC name on it so brand loyal fan boys buy it. Stick with real, established brands if you want reliability, quality and the assurance that you are buying universally respected equipment.

No, they use the same equipment in the Ultimate Fighter...
GlancyMMA
3/18/08 10:15:01AM
I would have to say that hands down the best bag I've ever had the Everlast 100lbs I have now.....

It's perfect, if you have the space, great quality, myself and my two roomates (2 muay thai fighters, including myself, and a capoeira fighter) all hit it daily. The full length bag is amazing for both boxing and kicking, it hangs at a good height, totally adjustable to your height. and the chain hooks are so easy to remove you can use it as a ground and pund dummy and rehang no problem (considering its only 100lbs) its also available in the 70lbs (too light IMO, too much swing) and a 140lbs.

It's by far the best bag I'm ever worked on, including the 20 some bags at my gym.

and the odd thing is it was from SportChek and it's cheap, but way better than my prior EXPENSIVE bag....

http://www.sportchek.ca/sportchek/do/style?menuId=93&styleId=19168