Question about Dan Severn's Black Belt

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Question about Dan Severn's Black Belt
jiujitsufreak74
12/17/10 1:59:38AM
On wikipedia it says that Severn is a 3rd degree black belt in Brazillian Jiu Jitsu. now, i have a hard time believing this, or at the very least verifying it. something is telling me that wikipedia might have got it wrong, or that he is a 3rd degree balck belt in Japanese Jiu Jitsu and not Brazilian.

so i guess my question is this: is Severn's 3rd degree black belt in Brazilian or Japanese Jiu Jitsu? if it is Brazilian, who gave him is black belt and wy is he a 3rd degree black belt?
ncordless
12/17/10 3:02:21AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

On wikipedia it says that Severn is a 3rd degree black belt in Brazillian Jiu Jitsu. now, i have a hard time believing this, or at the very least verifying it. something is telling me that wikipedia might have got it wrong, or that he is a 3rd degree balck belt in Japanese Jiu Jitsu and not Brazilian.

so i guess my question is this: is Severn's 3rd degree black belt in Brazilian or Japanese Jiu Jitsu? if it is Brazilian, who gave him is black belt and wy is he a 3rd degree black belt?

Wikipedia=truth fail
jiujitsufreak74
12/17/10 3:32:51AM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Wikipedia=truth fail

so no black belt? haha

i could understand him being a 1st degree black belt, but a 3rd degree black belt? that's where i have the problem, especially because i can't find out who gave it to him.
Pookie
12/17/10 3:41:05AM
I could see a trainer giving him a blackbelt after all of these years of mma grappling experience. You don't need a gi anymore.

I dont think it matters either way. He's good enough to defend most professional submission-fighters, and he's arm-triangle choking people out at 52. I'd give him one if i trained him.
jiujitsufreak74
12/17/10 4:13:09AM

Posted by Pookie

I could see a trainer giving him a blackbelt after all of these years of mma grappling experience. You don't need a gi anymore.

I dont think it matters either way. He's good enough to defend most professional submission-fighters, and he's arm-triangle choking people out at 52. I'd give him one if i trained him.

but 3rd degree? i am in no way disrespecting his grappling ability, hell he has probably forgotten more about grappling than i will ever know, but a 3rd degree black belt seems a little strange since he would have to have a 3rd degree black belt to promote him up to that point and i am not familiar of any 3rd degree black belts that train with Severn. with that in mind, if he is a 3rd degree black belt, i would like to know who promoted him.
Pookie
12/17/10 4:16:46AM
And thats probably where you crack the case. I wish they had followed through and went with Rickson.
emfleek
12/17/10 9:11:18AM
Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you guys that I'm a 3rd degree black belt, too.

BlueSkiesBurn
12/17/10 1:22:54PM
I just got my red belt from Chiwetel Ejiofor
AchillesHeel
12/17/10 1:31:26PM
That's "Chiwetel 'The M----- F------ Beast' Ejiofor."
BlueSkiesBurn
12/17/10 1:33:01PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

That's "Chiwetel 'The M----- F------ Beast' Ejiofor."

muh bad
fullerene
12/17/10 1:59:20PM
More incredible than that, Dan Severn is in the World Karate Hall of Fame.

I think the cognitive dissonance comes from not realizing that martial arts have a long history of giving out honorary belts..

ncordless
12/17/10 4:20:06PM

Posted by fullerene

More incredible than that, Dan Severn is in the World Karate Hall of Fame.

I think the cognitive dissonance comes from not realizing that martial arts have a long history of giving out honorary belts..

If he does have a BB, this is the likely culprit. Any McDojo can decide that they want to host a ceremony to garner attention where Severn gets a BB and an appearance fee in exchange for doing a meet and greet, demo, and/or autograph session.

Belts mean nothing without the context of who is giving it and for what.
jiujitsufreak74
12/17/10 6:44:46PM
i don't think the idea of Dan being a legitimate black belt is that crazy. he has been grappling for years, and ever since he lost to Royce he has been training BJJ. i have just recently verified that he is definitely a BJJ 1st degree black belt, although i can't quite find out who gave it to him. whether or not it is a 3rd degree belt is still a mystery, but i just want to say that it is a little insulting to him to say he has a mc black belt.

the point of this thread was not to disparage severn, rather its aim was to find out some details about his black belt that i could not verify on my own.
Rush
12/28/10 1:33:54PM
Added to the honorary black belt thought, BJJ schools used to be really strict about handing our ranks, despite (at least some of the Gracie schools) not necessarily having a standard test in place.

However, I think as time goes on, we are seeing a number of professional fighters being handed ranks for their success in the ring more than their raw talent in BJJ (per se). I also think that as time goes on, the lineage becomes diluted and the market becomes saturated (seems almost poetic) and the likelihood of BJJ McDojos start to increase. That is, as competition for students increases, schools turn to the darkside and entice students with gimmicks. One of those gimmicks being achieving fast ranks. This doesn't mean the teacher is not necessarily legit, but rather the students themselves are not legit. Then the lineage becomes even more diluted.

As for Severn, if he had been training in BJJ since UFC 4, I think it is possible/plausible that he could achieve a 2nd or 3rd degree given his previous grappling experience. I mean that is almost 17 years ago.

On another note, it's funny you posted this because I recently read Severn's wiki page and was surprised to read that he was 3rd degree too.