Question about Carwin....

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Question about Carwin....
POLL: Does he need to quit his day job?
Yes 43% (12)
No 25% (7)
We will know after the Mir fight. 32% (9)
Biggz
3/6/10 6:04:02PM
So Carwin was working his job that he had while he started to fight. (i think he is an engineer of some sort.) and he continued to work even when he began fighting in the UFC. Now dont get me wrong, i think it is awesome and i think he is one of the most level-headed guys in the game.

i was reading that he is STILL working that same job! like i said i think thats great. however i cant help but think that it could hurt him. i just keep thinking that a guy his caliber needs to have training as his job. So my question is, does he need to quit his job and have "fighting" be his occupation? i dont want this to sound like i am saying he isnt training hard because i am sure he is training very hard. I am just wondering if the added stress of the job and energy of the job are taking anything away from his training.
SpiderSilva
3/6/10 6:37:36PM
IMO no he seems to be doing fine doing what he is doing he was in line for a title shot and is now in line for an interm title fight to fight for the title so it is not effecting him plus I'm sure he is looking at the big picture if he ever retires or gets hurt he might have insurance with that job
grappler0000
3/6/10 6:40:54PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

IMO no he seems to be doing fine doing what he is doing he was in line for a title shot and is now in line for an interm title fight to fight for the title so it is not effecting him plus I'm sure he is looking at the big picture if he ever retires or gets hurt he might have insurance with that job

I agree with everything but the insurance. Assuming his provider knows what he does for a second job, it's almost guaranteed they won't carry him.
jae_1833
3/6/10 6:48:30PM
If he wants to be, or if he becomes the champ he will have to do this full time, plus the money will be there and allow for it.
State_Champ
3/6/10 7:06:30PM
Most people selected the "we will know after this fight" option in the poll....
Does this mean that if Carwin loses most people (only 4 so far) will chalk it up to his dual careers rather than attribute the loss to Mir's fighting ability or Carwin's lack of skill?
I think if Carwin loses to Mir it will be because Mir is a very good fighter.
That said, I really hope Carwin KOs Mir in short order.
Biggz
3/6/10 7:26:30PM

Posted by State_Champ

Does this mean that if Carwin loses most people (only 4 so far) will chalk it up to his dual careers rather than attribute the loss to Mir's fighting ability or Carwin's lack of skill?

If Carwin loses i don't think that it would get chalked up to having another job, (at least thats not how i meant it) i just think it would put a "what if" into the equation. However, i think that Carwin is smart enough and has a good enough people around him that if it is hindering his performance he would not continue. Just my opinion though.
State_Champ
3/6/10 8:23:44PM

Posted by Biggz

Posted by State_Champ

If Carwin loses i don't think that it would get chalked up to having another job, (at least thats not how i meant it) i just think it would put a "what if" into the equation. However, i think that Carwin is smart enough and has a good enough people around him that if it is hindering his performance he would not continue. Just my opinion though.

I see. I guess I already had the "what if" in my mind before this fight so I took the poll to mean something that it didn't.
chickmagnet
3/6/10 9:45:43PM
It obviously hasnt been a factor before. Hes undefeated and never been out of the first round...
jocka
3/6/10 10:19:20PM
He has the perfect job to allow him to do both, see it more like a guy that has 2 jobs. I a network technician meaning i work on computers all day long. I am able to train twice a day during the week which is around 3-4 hours a days, i do have the advantage of a flexible schedule and i am pretty sure he does to.

I could technically train before work as well if i wanted to, how long do professional fighters trains 4-5 hours a day?

Should he be training full time... probably, but i believe its all good as long as he has a girlfriend/wife as understanding as mine :)
State_Champ
3/7/10 12:39:20AM

Posted by chickmagnet

It obviously hasnt been a factor before. Hes undefeated and never been out of the first round...

exactly, he has never been tested and I wonder every fight if he will be tested and i wonder if he will rise to the challenge and i wonder whether his ability to do win/lose might be affected by his dual careers
BustedKnuckle
3/7/10 5:28:18PM
Maybe the guy really loves his job!? I think it could be a place to let go of all of the hardships of training!?
seanfu
3/8/10 5:36:50AM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by chickmagnet

exactly, he has never been tested and I wonder every fight if he will be tested and i wonder if he will rise to the challenge and i wonder whether his ability to do win/lose might be affected by his dual careers

Gonzaga is quite a test, and if I remember right Gonzaga almost KTFO'd him before he pulled the trigger on gonzaga.
king_katool
3/8/10 7:46:25AM

Posted by seanfu

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by chickmagnet

Gonzaga is quite a test, and if I remember right Gonzaga almost KTFO'd him before he pulled the trigger on gonzaga.

i might be wrong but im pretty sure he means he's never been tested outside of R1,
State_Champ
3/8/10 7:51:15AM

Posted by king_katool

Posted by seanfu

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by chickmagnet

i might be wrong but im pretty sure he means he's never been tested outside of R1,

You are correct!
I suppose I maybe should have worded my post differently, "challenged" might have been a better word than "tested"...nobody seems to have really challenged him.
Yes, he got hit by Gonzaga but he also KOed Gonzaga immediately after that....I want to see if Carwin can do anything else.
All I know about him is that he has some wrestling (I don't even know the extent of his wrestling abilities) and BIG punching power. And really that doesn't answer too many questions.
Jackelope
3/8/10 12:50:47PM
This is something I've actually talked to Shane and some of his family about briefly before.

His job and his lifestyle is something he takes strength from. It's hard for us as fans to understand, but according to Shane and his family the hard working lifestyle and sacrifice is a source of strength. As much as he loves MMA he loves being an engineer and a family man even more.

In short- the answer is actually a resounding no from both his family and the man himself. Of course, I talked to him about this about a year ago so things may have changed in that time and I really couldn't speak for the man himself outside of what was told to me a while back.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
3/8/10 1:35:22PM
Shane's own words from the UG ...

I love my job. I was raised my a single mom who worked her ass off to provide for my brothers and I. She said "Being a man is about taking care of the important things in life, provide for your family, then sports". So I have and will always be a guy who works. That being said it is not a 9-5 punch the clock type of job. My boss is usually very flexible as long as I get my work done. I train 4-6 hours a day 6 days a week.

No disrespect taken. The sport is not my job, I fight because I love to fight. If it ever became a job I might not want to do it. Like I said I do not punch a time clock. I needed a few weeks off I took it, I need to train longer I do. If anyone suffers it is me. That being said no fighter lives this sport 24 hours a day. When they are done training (the same time I am) they go hang out with friends, party, play xbox, or chill. I go to my office where I work on my hydraulic models making sure water is getting where it needs to go. My job is not a distraction. Not to mention I have a 9 year old boy that is very impressionable. He has suffered with me when the NFL teams stopped calling and I was told I would not be able to compete anymore. He is the main reason I do this. I want him to know that you can do great things in life but your values need to be in line. Family Country Faith Job Sports