Question bout HDNet fights

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Question bout HDNet fights
CantAndleDaRiddum
12/15/07 8:46:27PM
i am not stupid, i know it "HDNet" bc u have to have HD to watch it, but why only market your good fights to people with these capabilities?
i dont know how much the ppv is but i know 5 people from my small town that wanted to order it and cant. anyone else upset by this and curious as to why they dont let ANYONE order their ppvs, but the people that order with HD get the luxury of watching it in HD?
i know they have plenty of money and prolly dont care if they are losing a few ppv buys, but from word of mouth, it seems to me they could make a lot more money if they let everyone have the option to watch
tuvok500
12/15/07 9:19:37PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

i am not stupid, i know it "HDNet" bc u have to have HD to watch it, but why only market your good fights to people with these capabilities?
i dont know how much the ppv is but i know 5 people from my small town that wanted to order it and cant. anyone else upset by this and curious as to why they dont let ANYONE order their ppvs, but the people that order with HD get the luxury of watching it in HD?
i know they have plenty of money and prolly dont care if they are losing a few ppv buys, but from word of mouth, it seems to me they could make a lot more money if they let everyone have the option to watch

Well, HDNET is not a channel like the others channel.
the channel was not in normal def and have upgraded to HD, it is only in HD from the beginning.
so, nobody can see it if they don't have HD. there is no normal def feed.

CantAndleDaRiddum
12/15/07 11:18:49PM
i was not aware, prolly bc I DONT HAVE HD...but thanks for the info
(giving u props)
Svartorm
12/16/07 2:16:02AM
Its also not a PPV, but just runs on that channel. I watched it at a bar with HD.
madmarck
12/16/07 10:31:03AM

Posted by Svartorm

Its also not a PPV, but just runs on that channel. I watched it at a bar with HD.

I heard these High Def channels can get to be pretty pricey though. Anyone got any idea on how much $$ you might spend on them?
12/16/07 12:03:32PM
To get the Hd channels you obviusly have to have an HD T.V. witch is expensive in itself, just becasue you have an Hd t.v. though dosn't mean u have the channels you have to order the Hd package from your cable provider witch might be anywere from 5 to 15 $ more.

I agree with the point that they should put these events on ppv if u don't have Hdnet ,a and if you do you could watch it for free. I luckily have it and can watch the events for free, but you think if they wanted to make more money they would put it on ppv, but at the same time they could only have them on HD net so more people want to buy the chanel.
gspgnp
12/16/07 1:48:36PM
You guys are right you do need to have HD to watch it but not a HD tv. You just need a HD cable box. I got a new cable box so I could have PVR and live tv pause/rewind because it was only 5-10 bucks more a month and I could record the UFC PPV's and rewatch them later. It just happened to be a HD box to so I can get HDnet. But my tv is not HD. As a matter of fact my tv is probably 25-30 years old!
DCRage
12/16/07 2:40:56PM
The cost seems to depend on your provider and plan. Based on commercials I've seen, most packages seem to start at $10 a month, maybe another $5 on top of that for local channels if you have satellite.
Bemin
12/17/07 4:07:48AM
Here in Canada with Shaw (one of the 2 main cable company's), you need to get a second tier of HD channels. The basic tier includes most of your staple channels but not HDNet and only minimal sports and specialty channel's. The second tier is if memory serves me correctly about 20 bucks and adds a ton of sports channels, specialty channels and most importantly of course HDNet!
Svartorm
12/17/07 4:57:23AM
Sounds like a good deal to me. You figure you pay $40-$50 for a PPV, so if you're paying $20 a month and get at least one event every two months, you're coming out ahead.
tuvok500
12/17/07 8:28:19PM
To be precise, for me on star-choice ( canada ), almost every HD channel are free.
Well, as long as you have the channel in normal definition they give you the HD channel for free.
there are only 3 channels who are not include and HDNET is one of them.
so you can buy the extra package of HD channel for 5$ a month more or you can take only HDNET for 2.99$ a month.

and , it is true that you don't need an HD television to see a HD channel, as long as your have the HD source you are ok.
of course the image is not as good as it should be but it works !!

Mayhem13
12/17/07 8:55:26PM
yeah HDnet is definately worth it, if you have a tv with HD.... like said before the package is like 5 bucks more added to your cable bill, and they are always airing fights, and cool concerts and stuff ... and its airing the Fedor nye card as well, atleast i think they are
12/18/07 4:27:07PM
On top of getting What ever MMA events sre going to be on there ex. HDnet fights, IFL Grand Prix Finals, sport fight, and M-1. you also get to see the show "Inside MMA" witch is a good MMA show to keep you updated with MMA news, they always have Bas Rutten and Kenny Rice, with Guest like Karo, Chuck liddel i think was on, Sok, josh barnett, mike pyle,jason miller, to name a few. So HDnet is a smart investment.