Question?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Question?
The_Ho_Bag
6/28/08 11:30:29PM
So today at grapplers quest i lost in the finals to a kid who id whip his head down nd he would drop down on his back like wtf?

is there any way to counter this? b/c i didnt know what to do when i saw it lol and btw it was my 1st BJJ tourni so
Omega
6/29/08 4:16:11AM
Go to you tube find a video because I can't make heads or tails what you're trying to tell us.
fullerene
6/29/08 7:42:40AM
I assume you mean that you were trying to wrestle for a takedown and he just gave up and dropped onto his back--kind of pulling guard? Some guys (Ryan Hall comes to mind) are pretty effective fighting this way. If I'm guessing correctly, did he pull you in or were you just standing above him with him lying on his back? What happened when you tried to pass guard?
The-Don
6/29/08 3:19:19PM
yea I am kinda confused by this as well... If you have actual video from your match it would be great to help us see what was actually happening
The_Ho_Bag
6/29/08 3:35:59PM
sorry guys i dont have a video b/c my parents werent there to record it but like ill try to explain in detail.

me and this guy in the finals where circling around eachother, then id whip his neck and he would just fall on his back and lay there waiting for me to go in his guard, id step back and the ref stood us back up id go for a fake and hed once again fall on hiss back, he did this 3 times. thats probably the best i could explain it
fullerene
6/29/08 4:39:01PM
Kind of like Hall did at the beginning of this match (with Nate Diaz)?

Hall vs. Diaz

What was the scoring for a takedown into guard? Would you have gotten points?
The_Ho_Bag
6/29/08 5:17:52PM

Posted by fullerene

Kind of like Hall did at the beginning of this match (with Nate Diaz)?

Hall vs. Diaz

What was the scoring for a takedown into guard? Would you have gotten points?

the funny thing was that the kid i vsed trained with llyod Irving, and no i got no points for take downs and i was pissed b/c he did it 3 times
HMA123
6/29/08 5:22:11PM
if he did once stand up and then if he kept doing it, you should of anticipated it again and when he fell or when he was falling,you could/should have immediatly jump on him to atleast a half guard maybe a mount.. but if hes just laying there, then for you its open guard passing
fullerene
6/29/08 7:59:47PM

Posted by The_Ho_Bag
the funny thing was that the kid i vsed trained with llyod Irving, and no i got no points for take downs and i was pissed b/c he did it 3 times

Just to clarify--would you have received points if you would have followed him to the mat, or was there no way of doing so?

If you could have gotten takedown points, I would have suggested following him down being very conscious of your posture (b/c he obviously specializes in guard work). Go down to your knees, not your stomach, and jam your hands into his hips. You're up on points then and he doesn't have a sub opportunity unless he breaks your posture. Depending on the scoring and how strong his guard feels you might choose to stand back up (although that can be penalized in some tourneys), work for a pass or play it safe (yuck) and win the 2-0 match.

If there is no chance for points unless you take him down clearing guard that, well, it sucks IMO.. I'd almost say look for another tournament, but it is what it is. The poster above suggested what would be best, but a guy who does this all the time is anticipating that and you're going to get stuck in his guard 9 times out of 10. There is a whole game for passing a guy's guard when you're standing, and it has too many intricacies and requires too much practice to describe in a post. You've probably played that game before and you'll have to just practice it more if you enter tournaments with that type of rule set. I like to try to control the ankles--sometimes crossing them over and flinging them to the side or pulling one leg straight and stepping over it to pinch into half guard...but there are really too many variations and adjustments to make anything sure-fire.
Omega
6/29/08 8:26:55PM
Ugh...butt floppers. Some judges will score a point if you have their leg when they go down. Besides I personally wish they would put a rule in that prevents such things. Dropping guard is fine if you can bring them down with you but the "automatc jump to your back thing" is just, imo, a sucky way to compete.
The_Ho_Bag
6/29/08 11:27:00PM
it was mad but it was my 1st tourni so i guess 2nd isnt too bad?

all i needa do is train harder for NAGA and even harder for the PanAM games in NY =]

btw there was no points for flying guards and GoGos where illegal as i got points taken away from me. i lost 9-6 =[