QUESTION: What's the point...

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » QUESTION: What's the point...
emfleek
7/21/08 9:09:21AM
What's the point of playing a game in which you're encouraged to play it EXACTLY the same way as the rest of your team/teammates?

That takes the fun out of it, in my opinion.

Thoughts?
zephead
7/21/08 9:45:05AM
Play it any way you want. Most of the teams have siscussions about their picks
emfleek
7/21/08 9:49:49AM

Posted by zephead

Play it any way you want. Most of the teams have siscussions about their picks

I agree. My team has discussions as well. But even with those discussions, the results for each event are still rather varied.

Ham sounds really good right now.
zephead
7/21/08 9:59:38AM
A ham sammich is where it's at.

What would you suggest to change it up
emfleek
7/21/08 10:06:52AM
That's the thing...it's not against the rules or anything and it really shouldn't be.

That's why I'm asking the question. I'm wanting to know what personal satisfaction someone could possibly achieve if they're being told how to pick the outcomes of fights. Personally, I wouldn't do it just because I think this is, first and foremost, an individual game. Individuals win the money prizes...camps/teams don't.

I think some of the teams on the Playground will do whatever they can to win a badge even if it means taking the individuality out of the game. As one of the aforementioned individuals AND an active team leader, I don't want that. And I don't want to suck the fun out of it for my team, either.
zephead
7/21/08 10:54:26AM
We tried the route of allowing people to bet any member on the site. All you had to do was send the member the bet with the odds. They accepted it or not. well, that didn't last. We Mods spent days tracking down all the clone accounts.

We are open to suggestions, but they have to make sense. Yes it get stale. Hell, the camp I'm with don't talk, EVER. But then again I'm here for the dancin and not the game.
sleevey
7/21/08 1:26:25PM
I agree thats why i posted this a few month's back about bringing the old wagering systems back in league play only. Nothing but bragging rights between you and your team memembers check out the post.

Linky link
npayant
7/21/08 1:27:15PM

Posted by emfleek

That's the thing...it's not against the rules or anything and it really shouldn't be.

That's why I'm asking the question. I'm wanting to know what personal satisfaction someone could possibly achieve if they're being told how to pick the outcomes of fights. Personally, I wouldn't do it just because I think this is, first and foremost, an individual game. Individuals win the money prizes...camps/teams don't.

I think some of the teams on the Playground will do whatever they can to win a badge even if it means taking the individuality out of the game. As one of the aforementioned individuals AND an active team leader, I don't want that. And I don't want to suck the fun out of it for my team, either.

There are probably a lot of people on here that view this as more of a "team" thing. Their whole goal is to do well as a team, which isn't a bad thing, IMO. It's just their personal preference.

Honestly, that's the MAIN reason my bud and I haven't joined a larger team. We like to have the independece to pick whoever we'd like and we really don't need a large team of guys to tell us who to pick. We discuss our picks like MAD and try to align them as much as possible. But on almost every card, we have at least one disagreement with a pick, so we just go with our guts.

But the only way to win as a "team" is to be pretty consistent throughout the season with each other. So, props to the teams that have this formula down...but by no means to you have to play that way.
emfleek
7/21/08 1:34:25PM

Posted by npayant

There are probably a lot of people on here that view this as more of a "team" thing. Their whole goal is to well as a team, which isn't a bad thing, IMO. It's just their personal preference.

Honestly, that's the MAIN reason my bud and I haven't joined a larger team. We like to have the independece to pick whoever we'd like and we really don't need a large team of guys to tell us who to pick. We discuss our picks like MAD and try to align them as much as possible. But on almost every card, we have at least one disagreement with a pick, so we just go with our guts.

But the only way to win as a "team" is to be pretty consistent throughout the season with each other. So, props to the teams that have this formula down...but by no means to you have to play that way.

You're probably right. It's more of a personal preference thing, I suppose.
FrankTheTank1181
7/21/08 6:57:57PM
In my camp I think it's more about making your own picks and see who does the best. We will give input and tips about fights and/or fighters to eachother, our message board is pretty active. It may be more of a team thing this time around cause we got a Camp vs. Camp thing goin, but everyone will still make the picks they themselves choose.
stock
7/22/08 9:24:13AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by npayant

There are probably a lot of people on here that view this as more of a "team" thing. Their whole goal is to well as a team, which isn't a bad thing, IMO. It's just their personal preference.

You're probably right. It's more of a personal preference thing, I suppose.

Yeah, our team doesn't care about our team ranking. We are just trying to beat eachother, and doing it in a camp makes it easier to track it all.
emfleek
7/22/08 9:45:07AM

Posted by stock

Yeah, our team doesn't care about our team ranking. We are just trying to beat eachother, and doing it in a camp makes it easier to track it all.

That's the way it should be, imo. Props.
Rush
7/22/08 10:09:44AM
All I can say is...

It's just a game.

emfleek
7/22/08 10:24:29AM

Posted by Rush

All I can say is...

It's just a game.

This is LIFE, brother!

Kracker_Jap
7/22/08 10:50:52AM

Posted by FrankTheTank1181

In my camp I think it's more about making your own picks and see who does the best. We will give input and tips about fights and/or fighters to eachother, our message board is pretty active. It may be more of a team thing this time around cause we got a Camp vs. Camp thing goin, but everyone will still make the picks they themselves choose.

Rules for the 360 mafia

1 make your picks

Ummm..... That is it

Are camp has active boards because the camp members are cool

Not to mention the camp leader for that camp is a bad ass......

"Birds of a feather flock together"
wolfman
7/22/08 6:51:16PM
Just worry about your team and don't worry what the other teams are doing. If their members want to follow blindly....let them. Also, I'm sure the new fightcamp ranking system should take care of the cherry picking camps.