what should qualify a 10-8 round ?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » what should qualify a 10-8 round ?
aussiemma
7/30/12 6:40:31AM
just interested to hear what people have to say about this. i personally would like to see a guideline set as to what would be a 10-8 round. For example if a guy gets visibly rocked on their feet or knocked down at least twice then that should qualify or if someone gets visibly rocked and also gets caught in a deep sub then that should be a 10-8.
it would be very hard to come up with a ruling on the 10-8 round just because mma is so dynamic and back and forth but im interested to hear what anyone else thinks ?
aussiemma
7/30/12 6:47:56AM
another idea would be if someone is really dominant in the later rounds, the judge should be more inclined to give a 10-8 versus the the earlier rounds just because it is more common to finish someone in the 1st rather than the 3rd 4th or 5th therefore making the effort in the later rounds is harder for the fighter and more impressive.

don't know if that quite makes sense but hope you get it, just a thought...
jae_1833
8/1/12 2:09:53AM
Round 1 of Edgar vs Maynard would be my best example for stand up....which makes the come back soo much better! Ground is hard for me to come up with, but I am sure it's there.
thevoodooninja
8/1/12 8:31:52PM
this is what it states in my rulebook at home: the fighter that serves up a complete ass whoopin shall receive a 10-8 round.

the fighter must dominate the round, weather it be on the feet with power shots or combos, on the ground with constant GnP or sub attempts, or against the cage with dirty boxing and/or throws. its doesn't matter where the fight goes he/she must DOM-O-NATE
Pookie
8/2/12 2:01:00AM
A round that mattered at least twice as much as the 10-9 rounds.
hymiekooken
8/2/12 4:18:11PM
Also if someone does nothing but run/dance away the whole round, with the opposing fighter doing everything they can to engage, that IMO should be a 10-8 round.
State_Champ
8/2/12 5:24:13PM

Posted by voodoo-jitsu

this is what it states in my rulebook at home: the fighter that serves up a complete ass whoopin shall receive a 10-8 round.

the fighter must dominate the round, weather it be on the feet with power shots or combos, on the ground with constant GnP or sub attempts, or against the cage with dirty boxing and/or throws. its doesn't matter where the fight goes he/she must DOM-O-NATE

Any way to score a 10-7?
Or is such a score impossible?
hymiekooken
8/2/12 6:10:11PM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by voodoo-jitsu

Any way to score a 10-7?
Or is such a score impossible?

I think only if a fighter gets dominated and then somehow has a point deducted mabye.
Michael_Corleone
8/3/12 11:39:51AM
You just know a 10-8 round when you see it. When the horn goes off when the round ends and you think "this guy has no chance of winning this fight" usually means it probably was a 10-8 round.

1st round of Maynard-Edgar 2 I actually scored a 10-7. Maynard knocked his ass down with punches 3 or 4 times. I think one was a slip. But in boxing, 3 knockdowns is a TKO and the fight is over. In MMA 3(or more) knockdowns in one round(no slips) should be scored a 10-7 in my opinion.
Bubbles
8/3/12 6:56:13PM
Edgar vs Maynard II, round 1
Fitch vs Penn, round 3
Sonnen vs Silva I, either rounds 1, 2 or 3
Gracie vs Jardine, round 1
Diaz vs Penn, round 3

some examples off the top of my head for both standing and ground fighting
Kpro
8/5/12 6:20:50PM
Just last night Varner vs. Lauzon was a 10-8 first round for Varner to me. He outstruck him over 2 to 1, landed the much harder shots, staggered him early and then dropped him at the end and followed him to the ground ending the round on top.

Gray vs. Frankie round 1 is a 10-7 imo.