Anyone punch like Fedor?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Anyone punch like Fedor?
fedorwins1
4/14/07 6:57:46PM
I love to punch this way, it takes alittle getting used to, but after awhile it becomes easier than punching traditionally. You get more speed, without sacrificing power. For those of you who don't know how Fedor punches, he has his arm relaxed and right before impact he tenses up to make a whip-like effect. Has anyone else ever tried to punch like this and how do you like it?
richieb19
4/14/07 7:29:13PM

Posted by fedorwins1

I love to punch this way, it takes alittle getting used to, but after awhile it becomes easier than punching traditionally. You get more speed, without sacrificing power. For those of you who don't know how Fedor punches, he has his arm relaxed and right before impact he tenses up to make a whip-like effect. Has anyone else ever tried to punch like this and how do you like it?

I personally don't punch like that, but I've seen many more fighters than Fedor use that style... he gets too much credit IMHO...
Mastodon2
4/15/07 6:58:35AM
Fedor is the best at it, hence why he is most often mentioned to it.

And yes, its an incredibly effective way of punching, because the whip effect generates much more force, and more effective force transfer, than a standard stiff armed punch. I dont punch like this all the time, its not that effective for jabs and straights, but for KO hooks its immense.

Bruce Lee's "Jeet Kune do" is based on this style of striking. He even went as far as to develop the style of keeping his hands open as he swin (because a relaxed arm moves much quicker and more fluidly than a tense one) and only making a fist right as he connected with his target, then unclenching his fist and retracting him arm.
bayonetxwork
4/15/07 10:35:17AM
I'm not quite sure what you mean by it, but I do something that sounds similar. I leave my hand semi-relaxed while in motion, and then right before hitting clinch up your fist to make the whip.

but it sounds like he does that wit his whole arm or whaa?
Juggernaut
4/15/07 3:23:01PM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by fedorwins1

I personally don't punch like that, but I've seen many more fighters than Fedor use that style... he gets too much credit IMHO...

I agree, Fedor gets way too much credit for it. I've been throwing punches like that before I ever saw Fedor fight. I just figured it out on my own, felt a bit faster and more powerful so I started doing it. and then I see Fedor doing it and I'm like cool, I guess I'm doing something right then huh?
Mastodon2
4/15/07 6:59:49PM

Posted by bayonetxwork

I'm not quite sure what you mean by it, but I do something that sounds similar. I leave my hand semi-relaxed while in motion, and then right before hitting clinch up your fist to make the whip.

but it sounds like he does that wit his whole arm or whaa?

yeah he does, he whips his whole arm at them and makes it rigid right before it hits them, for maximum force.

And like I've already said, its true that Fedor didnt discover this technique, but he is the best guy at it, hence why its taking on his name.
jdubs
4/15/07 8:06:38PM
wow, i can imagine everyone standing in front of their computers trying this right now.. hey that gives me an idea
Juggernaut
4/15/07 9:57:56PM

Posted by jdubs

wow, i can imagine everyone standing in front of their computers trying this right now.. hey that gives me an idea

lol I wonder how many people are going to screw up and actually punch their computer lol that should be interesting to try and explain
MethodMan
4/16/07 10:48:39AM
the relaxed punch actually comes from Wing Chun, which is where bruce lee got most of his fundementals from for Jeet Kune Do. I can do a one inch punch using a relaxed arm about an inch away from a person holding a telephone book I can stike right through the book and into the person, either puting the energy inside, meaning they double over or on the outside where my punch knocks a 200 pound person 5-6 feet away.
fedorwins1
4/17/07 5:42:47PM

Posted by MethodMan

the relaxed punch actually comes from Wing Chun, which is where bruce lee got most of his fundementals from for Jeet Kune Do. I can do a one inch punch using a relaxed arm about an inch away from a person holding a telephone book I can stike right through the book and into the person, either puting the energy inside, meaning they double over or on the outside where my punch knocks a 200 pound person 5-6 feet away.

I don't believe you, put a vid. up or I'm calling BS.
Mastodon2
4/18/07 11:27:50AM

Posted by MethodMan

Im inclined not to believe you. having done a little reasearch into this, whenever its used to move someone the "1 inch punch" is actually more of a "1 foot punch", covering about 12-14", and it doesnt really knock people away, it just puts people off balance and they step back to regain composure.

I was watching a program on National Geographic the other day about the secrets behind martial arts, and they demonstrated the kind of punching that is often used in Kung Fu, Jeet Kune do etc, and that is the punch that is performed without a wind up, just like the one inch punch. These punches were comparitively weak, and were more like pushing someone off balance, as opposed to KOing them. Boxing and Muay Thai style punching imparted a much greater force, but obviously required a wind up, pulling the arm back before springing into the punch with the whole body. They used a crash test dummy with shock meters to measure the force transfer of the punches.

Granted on what Ive seen I think you are;

A) Way overstating the power of the technique
B) Also overstating your abilities

I know that you have been called to provide video evidence, but it would be easy to fake so its largely useless. Not trying to bring you down, but I think what you've said it somewhat unrealistic.
mmadb
4/19/07 8:56:27AM
I saw that show too, for strictly punches, the boxing punch was the most powerful.
Mastodon2
4/19/07 10:21:29AM
Yeah I thought the boxing punches were a bit of a farce, Ive seen boxers do much more powerful punches than that, and he only did a right straight, when tbh his best power is probably his left hook, so he should have done that.

Btw, the boxer that did that show is in Murilo Bustamante's corner at a lot of Pride events, you can see him a lot on the Pride Middleweigh GP 2003
MethodMan
4/20/07 5:16:16AM
your right it is easy to fake this type of punch, in fact I have seen it faked at an MA demo. However it is guage of power and generaly not used from this distance imagine the same punch with a bigger distance to target you hit using the legs and waist power, from a boxing perspective look at boxers that were more flat footed and drove thought like Mike Tyson or Jack Dempsey
Sopena66669
4/21/07 4:57:17AM
Yea I punch like Fedor. . . Infact I was the one that taught him the punching technique your reffering to. . . (please note the sarcasm)
Svartorm
4/21/07 5:43:40AM
I box traditionally (except I box southpaw), but I use the whipping technique with backhands, as you can gain tremendous speed and impact from them.
Svartorm
4/21/07 5:49:35AM

Posted by Mastodon2

Im inclined not to believe you.....

No one is asking you to prove a claim of being a "jazz fusion guitarist", so maybe you should extend that courtesy to the other forum memebers, rather than stopping just short of calling them liars. Same goes for you fedorwins1.

fedorwins1
4/21/07 1:12:59PM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by Mastodon2

Im inclined not to believe you.....

No one is asking you to prove a claim of being a "jazz fusion guitarist", so maybe you should extend that courtesy to the other forum memebers, rather than stopping just short of calling them liars. Same goes for you fedorwins1.

Alright, I was just asking him for a video, because it seems highly unlikely.
Svartorm
4/22/07 2:37:21AM
No problem, its just the way you asked it is all.

As for the punch itself, my older brother runs an American Kenpo school and can do some similar strikes with great effect, and his instructor, Paul Mills, can absolutely floor people with little movement.

A one inch punch isn't even that hard to do if you have good form in your strikes. The tricks where you knock people on their asses, or send guys flying has a lot to do with placement as well as impact and stun factor.
MethodMan
4/27/07 4:46:50AM
Fedorwins1 yeah your post did seem kinda harsh, but I chose not to take ofences.Kudos to you for being Skeptical but I hope that does not bias you against looking into traditional techniques and training from wherever they may be found, I belive that MMA is still evolving and can still learn some things from traditional martial arts from around the world.
As for a vid would'nt you prefer to see my flying reverse triangle choke
fedorwins1
4/27/07 6:53:29PM

Posted by MethodMan

Fedorwins1 yeah your post did seem kinda harsh, but I chose not to take ofences.Kudos to you for being Skeptical but I hope that does not bias you against looking into traditional techniques and training from wherever they may be found, I belive that MMA is still evolving and can still learn some things from traditional martial arts from around the world.

my post? all i did was ask for a vid.
Svartorm
4/30/07 11:35:00PM

Posted by MethodMan

Totally agree dude. I won my first NHB bout with a hawaiian choke and the guy had no clue what it was. I come from an American Kenpo background though, so we use them now and again. Most arts have a little trick or two you can bring into your game if you take the time to look around and keep an open mind.
MethodMan
5/1/07 5:20:47AM

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by MethodMan

my post? all i did was ask for a vid.

I will show you mine if you show me yours
wrestler189
5/5/07 6:14:56PM

Posted by Sopena66669

Yea I punch like Fedor. . . Infact I was the one that taught him the punching technique your reffering to. . . (please note the sarcasm)

everytime i see someone punch like fedor they lose...its weird that he can pull it off so effectively
-Virus-
5/26/07 8:18:27PM
The only thing i truly love about Fedors Ground and pound is the big motion of his hips that he uses to build up momentum into his punches
gutoo
6/14/07 6:45:42PM
on the GNP fedor punchs well too and shogun do the same of fedor
when he use the flying punch
watch shogun vs overeem two /its very effective