pulver swanson

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » pulver swanson
dvs_nelson
12/13/07 10:41:15AM
who won?!?!?
emfleek
12/13/07 11:19:25AM
Pulver via Anaconda Choke 35 seconds into Round 1.
atlas777
12/13/07 11:28:39AM
I never expected to see Pulver win by sub. hopefully this is the begining of a new more well rounded Jens Pulver hopefully he will get back to being one of the best FW's in the world its a much more natural weight for him and it just shows that he can grow and isnt a one dimensional fighter anymore and hopefully he can do realy well in the WEC.
fullerene
12/15/07 5:35:32PM
The lower weight really did seem to suit him well. He stuffed a takedown and was very calm in working his way into position before locking the choke on. It was a strange choke--similar to an anaconda but without an arm in.
Svartorm
12/16/07 2:14:09AM
Thats a bottlecap guillotine. Frank Mir called it a "ten finger guillotine" but that was incorrect, and that move is illegal in MMA anyways. It ******* hurts like crazy, and it didn't help that Cub rolled to his back like he did and essentially neck cranked himself.
fedorwins1
12/16/07 7:00:57PM

Posted by Svartorm

Thats a bottlecap guillotine. Frank Mir called it a "ten finger guillotine" but that was incorrect, and that move is illegal in MMA anyways. It ******* hurts like crazy, and it didn't help that Cub rolled to his back like he did and essentially neck cranked himself.

But didn't Nate Diaz sub Junior with a ten finger guillotine? That choke was a crazy on by Pulver, I was impressed with his performance even though it was short. I thought Cub would win after an awesome war, but Pulver had to ruin that...
Svartorm
12/17/07 12:23:06AM
I don't think so, but I don't remember the choke off hand. A ten finger guillotine is illegal in MMA because you're forcing your fingers into the windpipe, and the windpipe and throat are not valid targets. Thats why you never see anyone use an old school strangulation anymore, as its illegal.

Edit:

Heres a version of the ten figure guillotine

This is what Chris Brennen calls a ten finger guillotine, but I know this as a swallow choke. Regardless, its similar and the thumbs in the throat would make it illegal in MMA.

I use a different hand position with mine, by steppling the backs of my fingers together, almost like I'm holding an invisible pair of binoculars, and drive the fingers into the windpipe. Its a tricky move to get as its not as secure as a conventional guillotine, and the only way I've gotten it to work is when somone aborts a shot and are pulling themselves upright, you can sink it if you're quick by trapping the back of their head in your armpit.

Aside from a shin lock, its probably one of the most painful holds there is, and gets an immediate tap every time.
Believe-in-judo81
12/17/07 1:41:52AM
Svartorm Called it, modified Guillotine choke. And it sucks that Jens wasted time fighting outside of Featherweight. If his 8-0 Record there (all stoppages BTW) is any indication, he should have ran house in Shooto and just waited until Heros or WEC came a knockin'. Ah well, he still had amazing fights at LW, although he, to a much more minor degree, has suffered the same fate as Sakuraba. It just sucks, two guys who were so phenomenal at their natural weight but were led by circumstance to fight bigger guys and suffered somewhat because of it.
fedorwins1
12/18/07 3:39:27PM

Posted by Svartorm

I don't think so, but I don't remember the choke off hand. A ten finger guillotine is illegal in MMA because you're forcing your fingers into the windpipe, and the windpipe and throat are not valid targets. Thats why you never see anyone use an old school strangulation anymore, as its illegal.

Edit:

Heres a version of the ten figure guillotine

This is what Chris Brennen calls a ten finger guillotine, but I know this as a swallow choke. Regardless, its similar and the thumbs in the throat would make it illegal in MMA.

I use a different hand position with mine, by steppling the backs of my fingers together, almost like I'm holding an invisible pair of binoculars, and drive the fingers into the windpipe. Its a tricky move to get as its not as secure as a conventional guillotine, and the only way I've gotten it to work is when somone aborts a shot and are pulling themselves upright, you can sink it if you're quick by trapping the back of their head in your armpit.

Aside from a shin lock, its probably one of the most painful holds there is, and gets an immediate tap every time.

Here's the link to Nate Diaz's fight finder and it says he won his last fight by ten finger guillotine. Maybe it's a mistake, all I know is ten finger guillotines suck to be put in.
Svartorm
12/19/07 1:33:27AM
Sherdog screws up all the time. I forget who, but they had a fight that said the guy won with a "Spinning heel kick" and when I found the fight and downloaded it, there was a spinning heel kick that completely missed, a pause in action, and then a straight right that Ko'd the guy. I think they sometimes try to make shit sound cooler than it actually was.