Pulver vs. Mayweather???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Pulver vs. Mayweather???
blkssncpt
5/16/07 10:32:52AM
Due to Mayweathers resent shit talkin Sherk said he would literally fight him tomarrow when he was interviewed. i know sherk would dominate him and he would take him down but i think Pulver would be a better match for him because he would throw with him... any thoughts??
warglory
5/16/07 11:23:50AM
Pulver would get destroyed if he pulled a stand up war with Mayweather. You can't do that with a boxer with excellent skills.
www-WeLoan-us
5/16/07 11:25:10AM
Mayweather already said he was talking *%&$ about the UFC to hype the fight and we all know he would want no part of jumping in the octagon. He announced retirement after the fight. Take nothing away from Mayweather 38-0 that is ridiculous in any sport IMO....Now Tommy Morrison and Kermit Cintron have expressed a REAL interest in fighter in the octagon , but only time will tell. IMO I would love to see it happen
johny_rotten
5/16/07 12:02:52PM
The hardest thing in stand up for a boxer to come to MMA is distance. Any boxer is trained to generate power from an arms reach or closer to his opponet. If you try to get that inside on any seasoned MMA fighter you will have already been blasted with kicks, or put in a clinch on your way to the ground. It sounds like an easy thing to fix, but it isn't. It would be similar to telling a side arm QB or pitcher that he has to throw over the top. It is why you see people like Wandy and Chuck able to generate great power in every fight in a non technical way while the great boxing technicians in stand up in MMA like Lil Nog have trouble every generating KO power.
blkssncpt
5/16/07 1:16:46PM

Posted by warglory

Pulver would get destroyed if he pulled a stand up war with Mayweather. You can't do that with a boxer with excellent skills.

True Mayweather has great skill and sick hand speed but pulver beenin a little experienced would probably clinche and do his work from there... desides a 4oz gloves is a big difference from a 16oz(i thnk) glove. but it will never happen so watever....
warglory
5/16/07 2:34:26PM

Posted by blkssncpt

Posted by warglory

True Mayweather has great skill and sick hand speed but pulver beenin a little experienced would probably clinche and do his work from there... desides a 4oz gloves is a big difference from a 16oz(i thnk) glove. but it will never happen so watever....

Right but in your initial post you said Pulver would stand and throw with Mayweather, which while that may be true, would ultimately spell doom for Pulver.
Pookie
5/16/07 2:48:52PM
Kicks to the legs alone, would destroy mayweathers explosiveness. Boxers arent trained to take damage there. And even though pulver has great standup any smart fighter would take it to the ground once he got into trouble (which is a possibility). Mayweather would land some beautiful shots though with his hand speed.
blkssncpt
5/16/07 4:25:52PM

Posted by Pookie

Kicks to the legs alone, would destroy mayweathers explosiveness. Boxers arent trained to take damage there. And even though pulver has great standup any smart fighter would take it to the ground once he got into trouble (which is a possibility). Mayweather would land some beautiful shots though with his hand speed.

True legs kicks would throw him of so would knees in a clinche...
JimiMak
5/16/07 6:27:42PM
Pulver, I think, is a bad choice. I think he would want to trade. Any mma guy who chooses to not go w/ leg kcks, clinch, and takedown-- and want sto trade, would get destroyed. Even Chuck when asked the Q about tyson said "... I wouldn't even trade. I'm a purple belt in JJ, I'd take him down and tap him out before we ever saw my punching vs his....." not an exact quote, but it's essentially what he said. You have to know you're limitations against any opponent. Some guys like Pulver (being a former boxer) I think would make the mistake of trading. Just my thoughts.
rameydl8
5/16/07 9:29:24PM
the only chance mayweather would have is standing..other than that hes done
Ultimate_fighter
5/17/07 2:33:27PM
i honestly think that mayweather would take the win he aint good with strikers, look at the lauzon fight!
pv3Hpv3p
5/17/07 4:34:06PM

Posted by Ultimate_fighter

i honestly think that mayweather would take the win he aint good with strikers, look at the lauzon fight!

I'm not sure I'd catogorize Lauzon as a striker, but I guess you're partly right... Jens hasn't faired very well against elite strikers (ie.. Gomi, Mach, Ludwig) I don't see how Pulver could take this fight...

Now this might be a more interesting fight... How about Mayweather / Gomi??? Wadayall think?

Or even Mayweather / Sakurai... Can you already see Floyd's grimace from the massive leg kicks?!?!
Stickan
5/17/07 4:58:16PM
If Old Pulver emerged in the cage I'm sure he would win. Remember Pulver vs BJ? He had some nice takedowns in that one and he has always had pretty good wrestling skills. It's just that he's so fixated with what the fans think of him that he always tries to bring it on the feet instead of playing it safe.