Pulling a John Kerry...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Pulling a John Kerry...
POLL: What should i listen too?
Brain 64% (23)
Gut 19% (7)
Don King 17% (6)
jiujitsufreak74
1/29/09 5:11:26PM
well, after watching the countdown and talking to a few friends of mine i am switching over to GSP (sorry Pookie ). i just think his wrestling is going to be too much and at 170 BJ's cardio is going to take a hit. i'm just so torn...my brain is saying GSP but my gut is saying BJ. as of now i have GSP, and most likely i am going to stick with that, but what do you guys think i should listen to? my brain ir my gut?
casey64
1/29/09 5:16:58PM
Listen to your brain.= GSP
The_Italian_Stallion
1/29/09 6:57:00PM
Your brain... as long as it says GSP!
Pookie
1/29/09 6:59:19PM
Listen to your brain, regardless of the fight in question.
Shawn91111
1/29/09 7:05:33PM
this is a politcal thread
Bowen50
1/29/09 7:25:39PM

Posted by Shawn91111

this is a politcal thread

beat me to it
postman
1/29/09 8:59:48PM
I'm going with my brain
roadking95th
1/29/09 10:15:26PM
You do know John Kerry lost, right?

I, too, am going with my brain. That's why I am picking the rich, lazy, out of shape, talent wasting BJ PENN
EvenFlow
1/29/09 10:32:12PM
Listen to you're brain and pick BJ.
breakdown5
1/29/09 10:36:18PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Listen to you're brain and pick BJ.

lohmann
1/29/09 11:16:34PM
Both guys are the best they have ever been and seem to have eliminated big weaknesses they had in their first fight (Penn's cardio should hold up longer this time), but GSP's natural size and strength advantage wins out here.

My brain and gut basically say, "Uh, Idk." So, I'll go with my heart and say GSP.

NO MORE POLITICAL/RELIGION THREADS
StorminYourman
1/29/09 11:17:24PM
Go with GSP

Although there last fight was a split decision everyone forgets why it was a split decision.Cecil Peoples.

I would say some terrible things aout him but I do not want to be warned for bashing.

Go brains go GSP

WAR John Kerry
Jackelope
1/29/09 11:20:27PM
This isn't the kind of fight that anyone will have any right to say "I told you so" on. This fight is so even and so hard to predict. Even Dana White said that he has no clue who will win, and Dana White always thinks he knows something the rest of us don't. (Probably because he does most of the time)

You have a classic case of natural talent vs. hard earned with plenty of work ethic talent. Only the X-factors here are that BJ is now natural talent with new hard work ethic, and GSP is hard work with plenty of natural talent to boot (although arguably not as much of a "natural" talent as BJ Penn)

I think the Primetime show is skewing people the wrong way about BJ Penn. I like to pick with my brain and try to resist the skewing of countdown shows or weigh-ins when they're torquing my gut.

I've got BJ in this one, but it's as good as calling heads or tails on a coin flip IMO
breakdown5
1/29/09 11:25:30PM

Posted by Jackelope

This isn't the kind of fight that anyone will have any right to say "I told you so" on. This fight is so even and so hard to predict. Even Dana White said that he has no clue who will win, and Dana White always thinks he knows something the rest of us don't. (Probably because he does most of the time)

You have a classic case of natural talent vs. hard earned with plenty of work ethic talent. Only the X-factors here are that BJ is now natural talent with new hard work ethic, and GSP is hard work with plenty of natural talent to boot (although arguably not as much of a "natural" talent as BJ Penn)

I think the Primetime show is skewing people the wrong way about BJ Penn. I like to pick with my brain and try to resist the skewing of countdown shows or weigh-ins when they're torquing my gut.

I've got BJ in this one, but it's as good as calling heads or tails on a coin flip IMO

This fight is for sure a coin flip. I like Penn in this and am going with my gut and brain. GSP has an athletic edge, Penn is a once in a lifetime natural talent. I got Penn as well.

EDIT: Shame on all of you who chose Don King. Shame.
mentalcase
1/30/09 2:23:50AM

and at 170 BJ's cardio is going to take a hit.

bj will cut less or will not need to cut at all why do u think this will be worse for his cardio?
Aether
1/30/09 3:16:48AM
I'm having the exact same problem. I think that GSP is the smarter pick, but my gut is telling me that BJ is going to get a stoppage because he's just a different fighter when he feels like he has something to prove.

There's so many different factors involved. The mind games, conditioning, wrestling vs balance and flexibility, speed vs power, 5 rounds vs 3 rounds... I don't know. My pick is currently on BJ, but I had it on GSP for a long time and I'm thinking about switching it back.

Jackelope is right though. This is a fight that either fighter could win and really no one can say I told you so no matter how correct they are, because if the fight happened 10 times, we could easily see a totally different scenario play out each time.

The most logical choices have to be either a decision win for GSP or an early stoppage for BJ though, with the possibility of a late stoppage for GSP. I think GSP would only be able to get a late stoppage if BJ gassed badly though, and he looks to be in much better shape than he did in their first fight. Dunno. I feel like GSP is the safer pick, but BJ has more ways to win at any given moment.

-EDIT-
I just realized that because this fight is so incredibly hard to pick that I'm just going to pick the guy that I want to win so that I'm not conflicted while I'm watching it. Even though I'm Canadian, that is BJ. I just like the guy. I like them both but BJ is one of my favourites.

I can't decide between my brains and my guts...

so I'm going with my heart!
Drudinh
1/30/09 5:58:30AM

Posted by Aether

I'm having the exact same problem. I think that GSP is the smarter pick, but my gut is telling me that BJ is going to get a stoppage because he's just a different fighter when he feels like he has something to prove.

There's so many different factors involved. The mind games, conditioning, wrestling vs balance and flexibility, speed vs power, 5 rounds vs 3 rounds... I don't know. My pick is currently on BJ, but I had it on GSP for a long time and I'm thinking about switching it back.

Jackelope is right though. This is a fight that either fighter could win and really no one can say I told you so no matter how correct they are, because if the fight happened 10 times, we could easily see a totally different scenario play out each time.

The most logical choices have to be either a decision win for GSP or an early stoppage for BJ though, with the possibility of a late stoppage for GSP. I think GSP would only be able to get a late stoppage if BJ gassed badly though, and he looks to be in much better shape than he did in their first fight. Dunno. I feel like GSP is the safer pick, but BJ has more ways to win at any given moment.

-EDIT-
I just realized that because this fight is so incredibly hard to pick that I'm just going to pick the guy that I want to win so that I'm not conflicted while I'm watching it. Even though I'm Canadian, that is BJ. I just like the guy. I like them both but BJ is one of my favourites.

I can't decide between my brains and my guts...

so I'm going with my heart!

That kind of sums up my feelings. Instead of picking who I want I think I'm going with the safe side of things
copcopps
1/30/09 5:02:20PM
My gut usually makes me pick against people I don't like, despite their skill. I'm going with my brain and picking BJ
bls1919
1/30/09 7:58:15PM

Posted by mentalcase

and at 170 BJ's cardio is going to take a hit.

bj will cut less or will not need to cut at all why do u think this will be worse for his cardio?

He won't be training as hard to hit 155 lbs. I think GSP takes this one all day!