UFC 81 proved how the sport's elite rose to the top

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 81 proved how the sport's elite rose to the top
grappler0000
2/5/08 7:16:23AM
Over the years, the lexicon of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu has become entrenched in the language of mixed martial arts. Royce Gracie introduced the masses to the potency of the discipline in the earliest Ultimate Fighting Championships, and since then, fighters hoping to make a dent in the sport have had to incorporate a significant amount of BJJ knowledge into their own repertoire. Understanding how to use BJJ as an offensive weapon, and simply learning how to defend against its various joint locks and chokes is a must into today's MMA.

And just in case BJJ's importance had been forgotten, UFC 81 served as a stark reminder of its continued presence, and need. The technique ultimately decided four of the five main card fights and both main event fights. Height, strength, and hype proved sadly ineffective when confronted by BJJ.

Link
silverbullet
2/5/08 11:31:05AM

"The technique ultimately decided four of the five main card fights and both main event fights. Height, strength, and hype proved sadly ineffective when confronted by BJJ."

Submission wrestling has proven to be an invaluable tool in the sport of MMA. Currently there are no UFC champions who are not masters of submission fighting. I agree with the author that BJJ has become an essential tool in the arsenal of any MMA fighter. What I do not like however, is how the author could not come up with anything good to write about so he pulled a topic out of his ass. Let me break down the "four of the five main card fights" where BJJ apparently confronted "height, strength, and hype".

Mir versus Lesnar. BJJ black belt tapped a fighter with a whopping 1 year of MMA training and no background in jiu jitsu. Furthermore, Mir won with a knee bar which is not a traditional Brazilian Jiu Jitsu move.

Noguera versus Sylvia. BJJ black belt tapped a striker with very rudimentary ground skills. I don't think anybody could have seen that coming.

Marquardt versus Horn. Actually the height and strength proved "sadly effective" in this fight. Marquardt was clearly bigger and stronger fighter who completely overpowered Jeremy Horn. Ironically, Horn apparently had the advantage in the ground game but could not capitalize on it.

Almeida versus Yundt. 7 to 1 underdog was tapped in the first round. That's a BJJ miracle!

To wrap things up, SI.com should stick to issues like Barry Bonds and making wrong Superbowl predictions.
KeNn
2/5/08 1:22:22PM
Lol BJJ>Stand up.

I was very offended about the post above me, come train where I train...The only thing you'll be doing is tapping.

I trained boxing for years, and now train muay thai.
My BJJ is the most effective part of my game,
Frank Mir=Black Belt, He's tapped out more then Brock Lesnar.
Big Nog= Best HW, and Best HW at BJJ. So Your kidding me, Sylvia's been fighting FOR YEARS you think he'd train jiujitsu.

Either way believe or not, you totally contradicted yourself, all he was saying was BJJ proved effective over strikers, AND IT DID.
madfrog0
2/5/08 2:56:24PM
it was a pretty good fights id say
silverbullet
2/5/08 3:29:21PM

Posted by KeNn

Lol BJJ>Stand up.

I was very offended about the post above me, come train where I train...The only thing you'll be doing is tapping.

I trained boxing for years, and now train muay thai.
My BJJ is the most effective part of my game, so you sound like a lil pussy whipped bitch who doesn't train it and purely hates on it.

Frank Mir=Black Belt, He's tapped out more then Brock Lesnar.
Big Nog= Best HW, and Best HW at BJJ. So Your kidding me, Sylvia's been fighting FOR YEARS you think he'd train jiujitsu.

Either way believe or not, you totally contradicted yourself, all he was saying was BJJ proved effective over strikers, AND IT DID.

yo man relax i wasn't trying to say that BJJ is good or bad or better or worse. Personally, I have years of Judo behind my belt and currently training BJJ. I was just poking fun at the article because SI.com apparently just discovered that BJJ can win fights.

in any case, take a chill pill jeez