Protein Questions

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Protein Questions
Biggz
4/7/11 8:23:53PM
So with summer around the corner, i have mostly been working on getting my body fat % down. I have done pretty good so far i think. Along with eating a little better and the gym i dropped about 10 lbs. My question is though how much protein should i be getting? I have heard i gram of protein for every pound if you are looking to bulk up. Since i have been worried about cutting down i have not had a whole lot of protein. I have two scoops of whey protein after every workout with is 24 grams a scoop (so 48 grams after the workout.) I am afraid that if i really add a lot more protein i will not be cutting as much body fat. This is my typical diet:

Morning: Piece of fruit (bananna, apple ect...) and coffe

mid morning: A piece of string cheese or a few almonds

Lunch: A peanut butter and honey sandwich on wheat or whole grain bread

i go to the gym and do an hour of weights and around a half an hour of cardio (usually intervals of 15 min of running and another 15 min of bike, or stairs)

Then the protein, and lately, i have been mixing fruit in a blender with the protein. (tastes great)

Dinner: Usually whatever my mom cooks, usually pretty healthy stuff. (i have been watching my portions too)

so, should i be having more scoops of protein or is the two a day and peanut butter and dinner enough?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Chael_Sonnen
4/7/11 8:34:47PM
You don't need 48 grams of protein after your workout....your body can only handle approx. 20-25lbs at a time....the rest is unwanted fat.....so, try only one scoop after your workout and one scoop before bed....your body will metabolize the rest while you sleep.
tcunningham
4/7/11 11:51:11PM
1 to 1.5 grams per pound of body weight is good. if your not that active go with 1 gram per lb. a high protein diet is not just for bulking up. it takes more calories to burn lean protein than carbs and fats. eating lots of lean protein keeps testosterone levels high, is the building blocks of muscle, and are high in branch chain amino acids that help you recover from workouts therefore letting you workout harder. muscle burns fat so your main goal is promoting muscle growth. you dont have to get huge you just want your muscles to thrive and your fat to get used up as energy. dont neglect your protein needs and dont be afraid of good carbs in order to fuel your workouts. try cutting out the honey and peanut butter sandwich. replace it with veggies, brown rice or potatoes, and a lean protein like egg whites, turkey or chicken. do your cardio after your workout or preferably before breakfast. Chael_Sonnen is right, split that protein up before and after your workout.
chinchecker22
4/9/11 9:20:47AM

Posted by Biggz

So with summer around the corner, i have mostly been working on getting my body fat % down. I have done pretty good so far i think. Along with eating a little better and the gym i dropped about 10 lbs. My question is though how much protein should i be getting? I have heard i gram of protein for every pound if you are looking to bulk up. Since i have been worried about cutting down i have not had a whole lot of protein. I have two scoops of whey protein after every workout with is 24 grams a scoop (so 48 grams after the workout.) I am afraid that if i really add a lot more protein i will not be cutting as much body fat. This is my typical diet:

Morning: Piece of fruit (bananna, apple ect...) and coffe

mid morning: A piece of string cheese or a few almonds

Lunch: A peanut butter and honey sandwich on wheat or whole grain bread

i go to the gym and do an hour of weights and around a half an hour of cardio (usually intervals of 15 min of running and another 15 min of bike, or stairs)

Then the protein, and lately, i have been mixing fruit in a blender with the protein. (tastes great)

Dinner: Usually whatever my mom cooks, usually pretty healthy stuff. (i have been watching my portions too)

so, should i be having more scoops of protein or is the two a day and peanut butter and dinner enough?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

From your typical diet, I would say that you probably aren't taking in enough protein. Check out these two links:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fat-loss-for-athletes-part-1.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fat-loss-for-athletes-part-2.html

These are some pretty good articles about how to set up a fat loss diet while training for different sports. It is a good read.

Hope this helps you out and good luck.