Which prospects do you think you see more potential in than others do?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Which prospects do you think you see more potential in than others do?
Pookie
1/20/10 4:14:51AM
I think mine would be Amir Sadollah.

Amir Sadollah: His Muay Thai is one of the best offensive assaults in the division already. His huge reach for WW (75") translates into his kicks having an even larger range than he already has with his hands. Allowing him to just pick an opening and attack from the outside, methodically breaking you down. His Sambo/Muay Thai clinch hybrid gives him a wide variety of different clinch techniques to control you with, while he attacks you close. Complementing his skillset even more is the fact that Sambo gave him good control on the ground. What he lacks in transitioning, he complements with subtlety. On the bottom he can pull a submission out of seemingly nowhere.

Including the fact that he's in his early twenties into the equation, the guy has alot of room to learn new skills, and sharpen the ones he already has.

State_Champ
1/20/10 6:16:27AM
I don't know how much potential others see in each prospect so I can't be sure whether I see more potential than others....But lately I have really been liking Jake Ellenberger.

(This is why I am so bothered that I can't rank him as one of my favorite fighters on the Playground's fighter rankings)
NatedawgThaM
1/20/10 1:45:24PM
Phil Davis , He's already 4-0 and is fighting Brian Stann at the next UFC PPV. He's only 24 going on 25. He was a sick amateur wrestler at Penn State I think it's a good step up for him because although Stan was the WEC Lightweight champion in a pool of strikers, thats just what it was, a deep pool of one dimensional strikers in the WEC. Phil trains with Vera at the Alliance gym so you know his strikings only getting better and better especially training with Vera who IMO is the best technical striker in the UFC technique wise. So this Stann fight should be a really good fight and I think if he gradually gets better fighters like Amir, I think he will be amazing in a year or 2 and be ready to head to the top of the division. Definitely somebody look out for, definitely watch that fight with Stann. Should be a good one.

Also Tyron Woodley (7-0-0) who's been fighting in the strikeforce challengers series recently. They need to bump him up quick to the strikeforce cards or the UFC should pick him up to add fresh blood to the 170 pound division because he's a really good wrestler and his stand ups getting up there too.He trains with ATT, he has a bright future but he's 28 so they should be quicker to develop him. Love watching him fight as well. Looks like he could be like a Josh Koschek. Very fun to watch. Would love to see him step up in competition soon.
cloud301336
1/20/10 3:18:26PM
2 words Todd Duffe all of his fights have ended via KO or TKO, hes 5-0 and broke the record for fastest KO in the UFC.
ncordless
1/20/10 6:17:43PM
Evan Dunham- He has shown a really strong and well-rounded game so far in the UFC and from everything I have seen and heard has the mind and character to be something special.
higdon10
1/20/10 6:59:14PM
Johnny Hendricks is my boy. I think that he has a TON of potential.
emfleek
1/20/10 7:23:20PM
Nate Diaz - he's only 24 years old and has plenty of time to improve all aspects of his game.

jae_1833
1/21/10 1:51:16AM
Tom Lawler....that fight with Simpson sold me.
hate4thestate
1/21/10 12:52:20PM
t-wood definetly. johny hendricks as well. and Rockhold and Del Rosario. both of these guys are going to the top.
BustedKnuckle
1/21/10 10:13:26PM
I really like what Jake Ellenberger and Evan Dunnham are doing in the cage. Also my boy Luis "Bahna" Cane is going to hit his stride in the UFC and start putting guys to sleep again very soon.
jae_1833
1/22/10 1:35:23AM
I think Bahna should drop to MW.
george112
1/23/10 7:47:58PM
jake ellenberger was the first to come to my mind
jiujitsufreak74
1/23/10 9:51:50PM
Rory Macdonald. this kid IS the next big thing. he will be reigning with the belt in whatever weight class he ends up in for a long time. the kid has nothing but upside and he already has the tools to dismantle a lot of top fighters. he is slick off his back, great in the scramble, and works some great angles with his strikes. he isn't even 20, and with even more polish he will shine like the star he his.
chickmagnet
1/24/10 1:33:57AM
I have to agree with Pookie and say Amir, the guy looked awesome in this last two fights. He showed some takedowns in his last fight and his Muay Thai is very impressive, reminds of a chute boxe style fighter.

Ben Saunders is my second pick. I think he was thrown into deep water too quick against Swick but really came back strong against Davis. His Thai clinch is vicious. He and Amir will make some serious noise in the division..
telnights
1/24/10 5:40:56PM
There are 2 fighters I agree with in this topic.

Todd Duffe
and
Rory MacDonald

Both these guys show signs of being great fighters. But truly only time will tell.
jae_1833
1/24/10 10:35:58PM

Posted by chickmagnet

I have to agree with Pookie and say Amir, the guy looked awesome in this last two fights. He showed some takedowns in his last fight and his Muay Thai is very impressive, reminds of a chute boxe style fighter.

Ben Saunders is my second pick. I think he was thrown into deep water too quick against Swick but really came back strong against Davis. His Thai clinch is vicious. He and Amir will make some serious noise in the division..

Amir vs Ben would be a sick match up!! Muay Thai striking display, coupled with speed and length / reach.